Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Searched and searched but can't find topic with the real answer for removing the Covers of the intake manifold, see some screws removal from the top and ones from beneath, and 2 are worrying me these are in front of the engine and the approach is impossible for what I see now.....

See I something wrong ? Is there a other way ?

Picture of the covers, 3 are 12 screws what hold the Cover.

Font Cylinder Rectangle Auto part Drawing

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,486 Posts
Here is an extremely detailed write up from a guy who was trying to get past the intakes down to replace an oil o ring. In his write up he mentions how difficult it was to get to those screws but also mentioned it was not necessary to take the covers off for purposes of what he was doing, at least. He also mentioned to reach out to him directly if you ever needed to get the covers off say for powder coating, so read his post and reach out to him and good luck.

would you kindly share with the rest of us the pearls of wisdom that you find out?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So did some investigation and also got a reply from @6Speed thanks!

Main pain is the 2 bolts at the firewall, others are doable with much patience, need to dig deeper - get the plastic off and see how you can reach those bolts. If this is doable I will go for that, if it is a real pain I will re-consider what todo but only way than is take off the complete manifold :-(

Or somebody has a brighter idea ? Or has done the same ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So we took off the Intake Covers.

I first investigated how todo the job, asked member @6Speed and a member in the FB Gallardo they both give some helpful tips what I will share.

First of all take the right tools otherwise it will be a very difficult undertaken, see picture which I used. One bit I have bought is with a Magnet, this works perfect for the Job. Also the ratched is very compact and helps, and took a T30 bit and took some of the length.

How to start.

• Take all plastic covers off also from the firewall, for pulling out the one at the firewall you have to disassemble a bracket at the right otherwise pulling it out is impossible.
  • I started with pulling out the bolts what are at the firewall, the magnet bit helped a lot - first it clamps itself in the Torx and secondly it keeps the bolt tight when you pulling it out, used also a extension what you can bend a bit.
  • The other bolts you need the small T30 attached in the picture, however some I took also off with the other bit with the magnet because it was a better way to go. And sometimes a combination of the 2 just what is needed.
  • When you take off the throttle bodies there also 2 tubes attached to the intake cover, they are just behind throttle body. I was not aware of that so was a bit of surprise....

Also took out the airbox, is not really a drama, however you need to pull op the complete airbox on one side to get to the plug for the motor within the airbox.

In all, disassemble is not really difficult you just have undo a lot and it takes time and patience ;-)

So both are now out for coating....

Question about this, they can coat for certain degrees - any knows which degrees it should stand ?

Tool Wood Saw Everyday carry Gun accessory

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas

·
Registered
47 Posts
Awesome job, @csteenbe!! It's not all that bad, but as I said it's a pain in the butt at times. Glad you got it off!

I'm also glad you found a little oil up in there... I found the exact same amount in the exact same spot in mine. I cleaned it all out and thought that perhaps someone overfilled the oil at some point. I wasn't sure. It's nice to know that it appears to be quite common. My car runs amazing! You shouldn't have anything to worry about! The only item is when you clean it out it was quite coarse in there and my shop towel was leaving fibers in there. I didn't want that, so I have to pick that all out. Just be careful of that to not add in contaminants/fibers from a towel.

Again great job and thanks for sharing your experience in such detail! I plan to keep adding in these types detailed repairs to help others as things happen on my car or as preventative maintenance.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,486 Posts
CSteenebe, that flexible drill gun extension is gold in my garage. Used my 16” one about a million times on my Diablo. Great write up, both of you.

·
Registered
2006 Gallardo SE
135 Posts
that oil on the intake manifold will be the product of crankcase ventilation vapors/slight blowby very gradually collecting not overfilling.
How many miles on your car Cees?

·
Registered
2010 Gallardo LP560-4 Spyder Caelum Blu
93 Posts
So I see you fill your days very well during the rain! Nice to follow. So cool you’re doing these jobs yourself! I started to finish my 993 (tartan in the frunk and on the doorcards), and took a start on my 997 (red belts and new sills) which I consider to be a keeper as well. So, also hobbying on my rides. 😃 Carry on, I should say and enjoy the progress!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I see you fill your days very well during the rain!
Yes almost winter and weather isn't that nice, done enough driving this 1st year of ownership, so some rest for Monica is well deserved.

Time todo some small jobs, I am still considering to buy Quickjacks for easily to lift up the car for 45cm +/- but those things are damn expensive! Maybe Sinterklaas is good for me this year....

·
Registered
2010 Gallardo LP560-4 Spyder Caelum Blu
93 Posts
Hope Sinterklaas is vaccinated. Otherwise only gifts through the chinney with a Corona app. 😷😂 Sint is coming early at my place. Today Xena parked at the shop for red belts, new sills and refreshing the ceramic coating. Hope the MOT will be good as well. Can’t wait to see her red straps.
Bit in doubt giving Leya a full CF treatment or leaving her factory stock, knowing she is at the moment, also being in factory paint. So for the moment only Porsche upgrades.
However, I always enjoy reading Lambo project topics like yours. 😃

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So.... investigated and saw some oil under the intake, looks very messy, with further inspection with a camera I could see there is a oil leak. Where exactly is difficult to determine but it means I have to take off the complete intake/manifold.

But what is the best approach some leave the injector rail in and have to be a acrobat to pull the 12x 10mm bolts out. I did it differently pulled the injector rail out, went quit easy, and the access to these bolts is now comfortable.

The 12x bolts are loose now but didn't take off yet the complete intake/manifold because I want first the parts and than move on and hope to re-do all the gaskets and o-ring in one day. Re-assemble the rest in other days, take my time I am not in in hurry - it's winter time.

Watched this for inspiration:

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Light Motor vehicle

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Step further, got the parts from Glen from @AMHParts - thanks for the quick service, cleaned all and replaced the gasket of the oil pipe and the oil filter housing and the o-ring. Think the problem was the o-ring because the 2 bolts were in oil.

Used some medium loctite on the bolts to prevent they go loose in time.

Replaced also the oil filter for the oil change.

Had to crawl in the engine bay to clean all and replacing all because my airbox is out it was easy and had enough support on the cross member.

Todo is a bit of cleaning and route the tubes, wait for the coater and put the complete manifold on and install the fuel rails and assemble the fuel lines etc.

Auto part Metal Motor vehicle Font Machine

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Today I picked up the fresh coated parts, and could not resist to assemble the manifold. Needed to reinstall the fuel rails, went quit easy just the cables and tubes are hard to get out of the way. But reaching to bolts etc is very easy todo when the fuel rails are out of the way.

Went further, cabling and tubes are nicely in place now.

Next is installing the throttle bodies and airbox also a general clean of the engine bay.

Question how should I clean the engine bay ? With degreaser spray and a brush and whipe it off with a towle ?

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive air manifold

1 - 20 of 25 Posts