Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2007 Gallardo with 1,600 miles. It is not running at the moment but is also missing its instrument cluster (it was stolen). I'd like to find out if the instrument cluster being missing would be cause for the car not to run. The car has been sitting for a few years. It fires on quick starter fluid but runs like crap. Normally I'd agree that if the car runs on quick starter the cluster should not be an issue, but what if there's immobilizer technology in the cluster precluding the fuel pump from running? If the cluster would not effect the car being able to run than that means I'd have another issue in addition to the instrument cluster being missing. I suspect a fuel pump issue. In any event I can tell you I don't have the original cluster and I only have one key for the car. The car had been in a collision and the body damage was repaired. Do Lamborghini's have fuel pump cut-off inertia switches in the event of a collision that need to be reset? Unfortunately, this is how I will be receiving the car. I'm not sure whether the immobilization system in this car has circuitry going through the cluster or not, and there isn't enough information or schematics to be found anywhere for me to be able to determine this on my own. I have heard from other sources that it is possible to erase and rewrite the data from a pre-owned instrument cluster, but that it only works 50% of the time.. New clusters are obviously much more pricey, and pre-owned ones can be found online for around 1200 bucks. I want to avoid getting owned by the dealer if at all possible. I sincerely appreciate whoever can assist me. I know I have rather unusual requests and circumstances with my car.

·
Registered
361 Posts
"running like crap" could be running on 5 cylinders. The Gallardo has separate fuel pumps and separate engine control modules for each cylinder bank. Yank a few coil packs from one side of the engine and see what happens. If you can confirm one (or which) cylinder bank is dead that might point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Hopefully someone else here can help.

Try not to kill yourself as you deal with this can of worms. Unless you got the car for an amazing price, I'd suggest you run away. I can already tell this is going to be insanely expensive... Best case it will cost you what it would cost to have a non-wreck car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The car will not run without the original cluster. You can not use a cluster from another car. If you don't have it you will have to purchase new and have a Lamborghini dealer code the cluster to your immobilizer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, an update... Brought the car to Lamborghini of Newport Beach and had a preowned cluster installed. They said it's the correct cluster and it powers on but that they weren't able to program it to my key. I also discovered an abandoned mouse nest between the intake manifold plenums and the little bugger chewed through some vacuum lines and a few wires in addition to accumulating a bunch of trash in there to keep him warm. Pulled the intake manifold and am proceeding to clean off the top of the block and repair the vacuum lines/wires and reassemble. The fuel in the rails wreaks of old gas. Going to have to clean the injectors and dump the fuel tank and then try this again. Also changing the battery in the key. Wish me luck! Thanks for the responses everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts