Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my search for an exhaust for the LP640 and the numerous options out there, I was inspired by the Murcielago GT1 Car and it's Murcielago F1 Scream and wanted something similar.*

My first preference was a set up from but Avante Garde Exotics, however I need something with valves and they didn't offer it. My Aventador has a Kressieg system which is 100% madness!! So naturally Kressieg was the way to go, however, after some convincing from the Capristo dealer here and online reviews regarding Capristo being a superior brand & quality... I decided to go with the full Capristo LP640 set up ~USD $21,000, BMC Filters and ECU Tune.

My first impression - the system looks amazing, hard to beat. However, Kressiegs quality of welding blows Capristo away.

We pulled the entire motor out (sorry cant attach photo's due to forum restrictions - however some located on my instagram page here > instagram.com/p/BwqtuLdprOE/ )

Trial No 1 - Set up was a full system new headers, straight pipes full cat deletes, BMC filters & ECU tune.

Sound: With cat deletes, idle is very loud, raspy and take off can sound pretty average like an old 4 cylinder Japanese car if you dont clutch it right.. Almost as though the exhaust pressure is fighting against itself... maybe a cross pipe would help.

Once you're*off though, from idle up to ~4000RPM the sound is just awesome, it's a controlled quality deep raspy echo.. However after that, full throttle it to redline and all it does is stabilise the sound.. no scream, more a bark. See Youtube links. 1) Taking off from lights > Video Link> youtu.be/cDc8N7UjI3M 2) At 11 seconds you'll see the Murci drive past and hear the Capristo at 12-13 second mark > Video Link youtu.be/dGT_2W_Wudw - Note my White Aventador with the Kressieg is also in this clip - you can hear its howl that turns into a scream, before the car arrives in shot from the 5 second mark in the video.

Power wise, the car definitely increased in power particularly above ~3500rpm, however, below that felt about the same. We haven't dyno'd the car yet.

Trial No 2 - Following my complaints to the workshop, they recommended installing front cats, to help remove the 4 cylinder sound at take off and get that Murcielago scream top end. Impact - raspy 4 cylinder sound is gone, the sound upto 4000rpm is even better, deeper and cleaner, alot of the raspy rattles have gone. However, it's done nothing to the top end scream. Power is definitely up, all over the range particularly below 4000rpm.

Overall, I'm 50/50 about the system - below 4000RPM the sound is hard to beat, above that - it is a massive disappointment.*The car doesn't have the howl of a Kressieg, in the Aventador, people hear you coming way before you arrive, the Capristo would be nice to have that low down howl and*definitely missing the F1 scream.*I've gone back to Capristo, looking for help from them to get that scream, just waiting to see if they can help.

If Capristo can't find a solution, I'll either remove the cats back and replace it with a new system - any tips appreciated, ideally something I can add valves to. otherwise, if there's any tips on modding the existing system, I'd appreciate those as well.

·
Registered
LP640
2,217 Posts
likely not.

You can try running with the valves open at all times to offset the extended exhaust path, which likely increase the scream and pitch.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
They re-installed the factory primary cats into the Capristo? From the pics, it doesn't look like they would bolt on to the Capristo.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
No. They replaced the Capristo straight pipe with the Capristo 200 Cell Cat Pipes.
Ah, thanks for clarifying.

Good luck on the solution. Aftermarket exhausts have always been a problem for me, and I am pretty much giving up on them these days. It's apparently too much to ask to have an aftermarket exhaust sound good at all aspects: Startup, revving, idle, overrun, cruising, acceleration, for both inside and outside the cabin.

The problem with any Murci exhaust is that there isn't the volume of potential business for the companies to do all the engineering work to make a perfect exhaust, especially since they are competing with so many other exhaust companies going after the same small pie. So they "phone it in" for the engineering R&D and rest on their laurels from other exhaust systems to collect whatever cash they can. Can't really blame them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You wont like this, but sell the Capristo and buy the Kressieg, it sounds so much better, at least in videos...

·
Registered
212 Posts
You wont like this, but sell the Capristo and buy the Kressieg, it sounds so much better, at least in videos...
When I was looking at exhausts for a 640 I lusted after the Kressieg as the ultimate F1 scream exhaust but could not stomach the cost.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Never really liked the sound of the Capristo on a 640 - I had a mix of Avant Garde and LOC on mine. Removing the cats, IMO, is a mistake - all it does is make you smell, especially in a roadster. There is no way you're going to get the Kressig style sound from the Capristo imo, they are just too different.

·
Registered
149 Posts
@toulbox1 -- Sorry to hear you have had to go through all this, and spent your hard earned money only to be let down with the sound.

I can see you fighting your feelings in your 1st post, to convince yourself that you're 50/50 on liking it (since the low end <4,000rpm sounds pretty good to you).... but that actually means you are probably more like 80% hate it, 20% like it -- which isn't fair to you.

I would try to return it to Capristo, or sell it to someone who appreciates that particular sound.

There are only two options to get the F1 scream you want with valves right now: Kreissieg LP640 Exhaust or IPE LP640 Exhaust

IPE will cost about 50-70% of Kreissieg, but gives 95% of the sound.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Definitely leaning towards IPE myself.

Absolutely fantastic sound, at least from what I've seen/heard on youtube...
That's the problem. YouTube videos are focused on revving and hard accelerations. That doesn't give you the full picture of what it's like to live with an exhaust system.

·
Registered
920 Posts
IPE exhaust is majestic and harsh.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts