Lamborghini Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Vendor
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To kick-start our sponsorship of L-Talk, we are going to offer an insane deal on our Gallardo Kevlar clutch setup. $2990!! We retail these units for $5200.

This is for the entire plug-n-play assembly, all balanced and ready to install. The complete clutch assembly consists of the flywheel, clutch discs, and pressure plate. You can't buy a stock replacement clutch for this cheap! Take advantage of this opportunity to purchase one that handles more power, has a smoother engagement, and last thousands of miles more at an incredibly discounted price. We are extending this offer to the first 2 L-Talk members to purchase. The offering is for 2004-2008 e-gear and 6-speed Gallardo models. Again, this is a direct replacement for your factory clutch and consists of all OEM Lamborghini equipment.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Barry,

I'm definately interested in your clutch as mine is in the 35% area. I'm not familiar with your clutches so I have some questions. What can you tell me about your clutches and are there different options or just one type?

Are they OEM parts with new friction material? Rebuilt? or new manufactured parts?

Is clamping force higher on the pressure plate? Does it put any more load on the throw out bearing?

What about coefficient of friction on the friction material? How does it affect engagement? Does the PCM know what to do with the changes? Does it chatter at all? In traffic uphill?

Sorry for all the questions. I've been through alot of aftermarket clutches on other cars and one thing I know is you always trade one quality for another.

·
Vendor
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi Barry,

I'm definately interested in your clutch as mine is in the 35% area. I'm not familiar with your clutches so I have some questions. What can you tell me about your clutches and are there different options or just one type?

Are they OEM parts with new friction material? Rebuilt? or new manufactured parts?

Is clamping force higher on the pressure plate? Does it put any more load on the throw out bearing?

What about coefficient of friction on the friction material? How does it affect engagement? Does the PCM know what to do with the changes? Does it chatter at all? In traffic uphill?

Sorry for all the questions. I've been through alot of aftermarket clutches on other cars and one thing I know is you always trade one quality for another.
Hey thanks for the inquiry--all excellent questions. I can help you with this. We can custom make virtually anything clutch wise--stock replacement organic-style linings, Kevlar, etc. Our standard replacement for the Gallardo and the Murci is a full Kevlar build that uses our upgraded springs for increased pressure plate clamping force. We haven't seen or had reports of any premature failure of the TOB as a result of this. Just from a fundamental engineering standpoint, it would obviously shorten the life, but so would adding power to the engine from its stock form and we oftentimes don't see any direct relationship from that either (increased power vs decreased engine life). Anyways, in the Lamborghini brand, we have done setups for anything from the LM002, Diablo, Murci, Gallardo, etc.

We use OEM Lamborghini parts with the only exception being our upgraded springs for the pressure plate and the Kevlar clutch material. We can and have built clutch assemblies from a brand new base as well as built them off a core. For the Gallardo promotion we are doing for L-talk members, it's built off a core. We get specific requests to start with new units and do at a higher price point. There isn't a good reason though as we just strip the brand new clutch lining off, remove the new pressure plate springs and install ours, etc. The flywheel itself obviously doesn't contain any moving parts, and we surface that so the Kevlar has a brand new mating surface. We rebalance the assembly once completed whether it started as new or as core. So you can understand that everything that was new has been replaced on the new clutch, thus there is no real reason to start with one aside from just spending more money.

Regarding chatter, the Kevlar clutches are better about not having chatter because it's a softer more "spongy" material that engages much nicer than the hard organic lining from the factory. Lastly, regarding the PCM, the computer just gets reset like normal on e-gear cars after doing a clutch swap. It's that way even if you put a stock clutch back in. You will always want to reset the PIS so that it relearns how to engage the clutch. We just did a clutch change on our Gallardo a few months back. It still drove after the install, but it's best to reset so it can relearn as well as have a fresh start for the e-gear snapshot. Otherwise, the data will be off when you get a snapshot done later. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Do you have one for a 2006 6spd manual?
We should change the throw out bearing as well right?

·
Vendor
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have one for a 2006 6spd manual?
We should change the throw out bearing as well right?
Yes, I have one in stock and ready to ship for 2006 6-speed. I wouldn't necessarily change the TOB just because you are changing the clutch, but it's certainly easier while you're already in there. If it's never been done and the car has 20k+ or something like that, I would recommend changing it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
David,

Thanks for that great response.

What friction material do you recommend for stock HP applications? I'm just looking for smoother engagement and longevity. The car is city driven, lots of stop and go and traffic. For this type of use, would the stock pressure plate springs be more practical?

I'm mainly looking for better driveability. EGear is so primitive compared to the DSG on my GTR.

·
Vendor
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
David,

Thanks for that great response.

What friction material do you recommend for stock HP applications? I'm just looking for smoother engagement and longevity. The car is city driven, lots of stop and go and traffic. For this type of use, would the stock pressure plate springs be more practical?

I'm mainly looking for better driveability. EGear is so primitive compared to the DSG on my GTR.
I would absolutely recommend the Kevlar, even for stock applications just because of the drastic increase in the amount of mileage it will last compared to the stock clutch. It has a better engagement and lasts significantly longer. And yes, the GTR has a much better setup than the Gallardo...it's actually the main component that makes it so much quicker for the power and weight. It's just an overall better design than the Gallardo's e-gear. But, imo the Gallardo is still a very awesome car overall. The upgraded springs in the pressure plate aren't necessary, but we don't upcharge for them and I don't see a reason to not use them even on the stock application like you're referencing. Thanks,

David

·
Vendor
419 Posts
Bump! Already off to another productive week at Exotic Clutch Technologies with 2 more Gallardo units boxed up and ready for action...

·
Registered
5 Posts
What are the street manners like with a kevlar/kevlar clutch setup. It needs to hold 550HP on street tires and no racing or hard launches. Kevlar may not be necessary but I don't want to replace the clutch again. What are the issues if any, chatter, smooth engagement or other issues? Any special issues with the pressure plate when using a kevlar clutch. Got a lot of good advice so far, but I need make a decision and to pull the trigger soon. Sun is finally out in California.

·
Vendor
419 Posts
What are the street manners like with a kevlar/kevlar clutch setup. It needs to hold 550HP on street tires and no racing or hard launches. Kevlar may not be necessary but I don't want to replace the clutch again. What are the issues if any, chatter, smooth engagement or other issues? Any special issues with the pressure plate when using a kevlar clutch. Got a lot of good advice so far, but I need make a decision and to pull the trigger soon. Sun is finally out in California.
Thanks for the inquiry. Even if you weren't looking to make more power, just the fact that it will last 2-3 times longer mileage-wise than a stock clutch on the same conditions should be enough to convince anyone to go Kevlar. There aren't issues with chatter as the Kevlar material itself is a softer more spongy type of material than the organic factory material so the Kevlar gives a smoother engagement. Anyways, the entire assembly is balanced and ready for install when it arrives. I think you'll be very pleased. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks,
Barry

·
Vendor
419 Posts
HP Limit on the Kevlar Clutch Kit?
More than any bolt on parts would add. If you're going to be doing a twin turbo or something along those lines, I would recommend our new ECT Dual Friction™ clutch assembly that uses a Kevlar/ceramic combination. I would confidently put it behind a 1,000whp twin turbo Gallardo and then still beat on it mercilessly. ;)

Our traditional Kevlar/Kevlar setup would still be good for ~1000whp without breaking free from the flywheel...it will just wear at a much faster rate under those type conditions than our Dual Friction model will. Feel free to shoot me a pm with your contact info if you'd like to discuss things further. Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.