Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys I'm really interested in getting a Countach LP400 but they are very rare in Canada. Does anybody know how hard it would be to import one from the USA into Canada?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Piece of cake. Historically, US requirements are more restrictive than Canadian.

Go to your phone book and look up Customs Brokers...they can give you the import requirements over the phone for free.

I'm a licensed US Customs Broker and have imported many cars from Euro, even in the old gray market era where we had to send them to converesion shops to meet us DOT and EPA specs.

Just 3 points to be aware of:

1) Requirements in US are different if for personal use vs. commercial use. Don't know if same for Canada - but state that it for "personal use".

2) In US cars over 20 years old are exempt from formal Entry requirements..prob same in Canada.

3) If you find a car in the US, do a PPI + smog check. For example, in Florida we no longer have smog checks. A guy can toss the cats, then you buy it and discover you need them to pass smog. Finding, purchasing and installing cats could be a problem...

The only thing you may want to consider is Duty. Country of export will be USA, but Country of Origin is still Italy and that's what the duty, if any, will be based on...

·
Registered
59 Posts
As a general rule, used cars that are at least 15 years old can be imported from the U.S.A. and are not subject to safety and emission equipment requirements. Age is not determined by model year; the month of importation must be at least 15 years after the month of manufacture of the vehicle.

If your vehicle is less than 15 years old and was manufactured for sale in the U.S., you must first determine whether it qualifies for importation. Transport Canada's Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) program ensures that qualifying vehicles are modified, inspected and certified to meet Canadian safety standards.

Upon arrival at Customs, a qualifying vehicle will be entered into the RIV program. The registration fee is $197 in Quebec and $182 in other provinces. Within 45 days, the vehicle must be altered at your expense to meet Transport Canada requirements (it may need daytime running lights and metric labels for instruments, for example). You won't be able to register and license the car in Canada until it is modified and inspected. The RIV Web site contains a list of eligible vehicles and detailed information about typical modification and inspection requirements.

If you want to bring a car in to Canada then this site is a MUST read

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I'm looking for a LP400 it will be over 25 years old, that should make it a little easier for importing.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw that one on the internet already. I like it alot but they are asking $120,000CAN. It had the clutch replaced 5,000k ago and they are installing euro bumpers. Does anybody know anymore info about this car?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.