Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone … I have just received a euro spec aventador that I like to import to USA. Couple of questions:

1) any issues importing euro spec car to USA (EPA or DOT concerns)?

2) transpiration/shipping company you recommend?

3) cost and time to import car?

Really appreciate the forum help here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
377 Posts
Has to have EPA AND DOT compliance stickers on it...if not, can't come. You'll pay duties and taxes...best to call a registered importer...if you try to bring it over without your ducks in a row, it will be VERY, VERY expensive for storage while you wait as they are all done on a first come, first serve basis and if your documents aren't in order, bottom of the pile and start over. Spend the money to hire a registered importer near you and the port you are going to use.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I looked into this years ago. In short, if the car is not a US spec car it cannot be imported into the US. You will not be able to import the car.

At best, you could get a temporary tourist visa for it and drive it in the US for a specified time. After the time runs out, it must leave the country. This is tricky and involves a lot of paperwork. It cannot stay, or ever be registered in the US.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car was donated to me via family in Europe and I either have to sell or import it. I would have liked to import but from everyone input sound like major challenge …

Local dealer says they import cars to USA all the time but not sure if he just want to get the job to ship and I get stuck with car that I can’t pull from customs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I have never done it and can only speak from researching the process and then speaking with an importer.
I was looking at importing a car that is not made for United States. The guy told me I would need to buy 100 cars, crash test them, and then once they met crash dummy approval, I could start the process.
It was one of my less brilliant ideas.
Who knows, maybe it’s easier with a car that has virtually little difference
Between Europe and United States (this an assumption on my part, and I that there are differences)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I spoke with customs officials, importers and the Division of Motor Vehicles. "If a manufacturer produces a certified vehicle for the US market, they will not allow a non US certified version to enter."

None of the loopholes for collector vehicles will apply because a US certified version exists.

Laws vary state to state, and there is a lot of grey areas and weird rules for older cars. Unfortunately an Aventador falls firmly in the NO WAY category.

I looked into this because years ago there was a flurry of exotic cars for sale in Dubai for crazy low prices. Cars were selling for half of what they were selling for in the US. I tried for months to figure out a way to make it work, but was unsuccessful.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I looked into this years ago. In short, if the car is not a US spec car it cannot be imported into the US. You will not be able to import the car.

At best, you could get a temporary tourist visa for it and drive it in the US for a specified time. After the time runs out, it must leave the country. This is tricky and involves a lot of paperwork. It cannot stay, or ever be registered in the US.
Strange that the US will deport a vehicle, but not an illegal alien :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
You will need a letter on letterhead from the manufacturer stating that the car meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for the U.S. If you want to import it and can't get this document, you could have the importer bring it in as non-conforming/have it federalized. Bringing it into compliance can be costly depending on the differences between Euro/U.S. Aventadors. It's generally front/rear bumper reflectors, 5 mph bumpers, KM to MPH conversion, airbags when applicable, emissions, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts