Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I'm pretty familiar with the Dubai car market and it's still crazy to me how much cheaper cars are over there. The Murcielago SV is my all-time favorite Lamborghini and I found this one for sale by Al-Ain Class Motors (great people by the way)

There's also this UK example:

And a ducktail (rare!!) example from Germany:

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to import and/or register an exotic like this? The price difference is over $200k USD so wouldn't it be worth the hassle?
Some things of note:
-would have to pass DOT, EPA
-heard that if there is a US made equivalent (in this case a US-spec SV) then they won't allow it... wonder if that's true.

Thanks everyone for the input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nearly impossible
Do some research
I did! Could have sworn you chimed in on a similar topic a while ago (or maybe I'm mixing people up.)
Came to that conclusion but we are in unprecedented times... and I've seen many impossible situations happen before and during COVID

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can try to import the Murci SV under "show and display".
Absolutely awesome to have you reply to me as always, you're definitely a great contributor to the forum.
Every international dealer has been more than willing to work with me; if I decide to go this route will be sure to post about it in full detail.
This is very different than, say, importing a 959, F1, or Skyline. I wonder how an imported Murcie SV (or any Lamborghini) would do on the market?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I did! Could have sworn you chimed in on a similar topic a while ago (or maybe I'm mixing people up.)
Came to that conclusion but we are in unprecedented times... and I've seen many impossible situations happen before and during COVID
I explored the idea of importing a Mercedes’ A45amg from Mexico to the United States. Now, this isbit different as this car does not have an equivelant in the United Tate she. Every import broker told e the same. Yes, I could have a show and exhibit importation, but not a driving everyday type of importation dot epa importation. I would have to buy 100 car, crash them, and that would prove to dot/epa if it did pass crash test, then smog test and retrofit the smog system.
No thank you. Now, I could drive it across the border for a year under a temporary importation, but once the year expired, it would need to go back.

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
563 Posts
No expert here, BUT I personally lust a 2013+ Lotus Exige V6 and know it must be impossible (at least at any Reasonable expense) because I haven't seen it done yet...... a few of the earlier models, but they came through to the driving schools and eventually sold off without Federal certifications for 'street' use. Supposedly there have been cars which were sketchy and the Feds confiscated and crushed them....... who wants to take THAT risk....??

From what I understand if the Make/Model is Already sold over here, then you can import, but you must take great care to ensure it meets Federal Safety requirements or it gets Risky....... If you find a car overseas that was Intended for the US market (already certified)and for whatever reason never came this way, THEN you have found Gold

Granted, there ARE illegally imported non-Federally certified cars driving around in the U.S., BUT consider ....... I wouldn't want to be the owner of one of those if it gets involved in an incident where someone is either maimed or killed. That's why Marco goes running off into the woods when he crashes his illegal Ferrari (hopefully he made sure it was in the process of burning to the ground first)

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
No expert here, BUT I personally lust a 2013+ Lotus Exige V6 and know it must be impossible (at least at any Reasonable expense) because I haven't seen it done yet...... a few of the earlier models, but they came through to the driving schools and eventually sold off without Federal certifications for 'street' use. Supposedly there have been cars which were sketchy and the Feds confiscated and crushed them....... who wants to take THAT risk....??

From what I understand if the Make/Model is Already sold over here, then you can import, but you must take great care to ensure it meets Federal Safety requirements or it gets Risky....... If you find a car overseas that was Intended for the US market (already certified)and for whatever reason never came this way, THEN you have found Gold

Granted, there ARE illegally imported non-Federally certified cars driving around in the U.S., BUT consider ....... I wouldn't want to be the owner of one of those if it gets involved in an incident where someone is either maimed or killed. That's why Marco goes running off into the woods when he crashes his illegal Ferrari (hopefully he made sure it was in the process of burning to the ground first)
Any car older than 25 years old, can be imported (at least that’s what the US department of transportation website says.

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
563 Posts
Any car older than 25 years old, can be imported (at least that’s what the US department of transportation website says.
That is correct. Nissan Skyline is the most popular example I know of lately......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.