Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new at this and is interested if you know one with solid experience importing Diablo VT Roadster and converted it to US specs and has done it before. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
jfarhat said:
I am new at this and is interested if you know one with solid experience importing Diablo VT Roadster and converted it to US specs and has done it before. Thanks.
Please don't tell me the car is coming from kuwait :eek:

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm a licensed US Customs Broker and have done many cars, even back in the old gray market era.

Depends on the year of the car and where it's coming from. Also where are you located.

Use to be we had to change the glass, lights, install door impact rails, cats, etc. There are only about a dozen authorized conversion shops that are bonded by customs.

Not all that long ago they started building world cars that meet most countries requirements and require very little mods specific to an individual country.

I stopped working about 3 years ago and mostly lecture to the industry. I know a few people in the trade that just specialize in cars... so give me the info and I can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gday, Are you inferring that there are issues from importing Diablos from Kuwait or the gulf for that matter? I am aware of the car that was sold through a lawyer in Kuwait as being US specs and later found not to be so !! That is not the one. I am however generally interested in the answer to the question in case I come across one that interest me from outside the U.S.

Thanks !

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
jfarhat said:
Gday, Are you inferring that there are issues from importing Diablos from Kuwait or the gulf for that matter? I am aware of the car that was sold through a lawyer in Kuwait as being US specs and later found not to be so !! That is not the one. I am however generally interested in the answer to the question in case I come across one that interest me from outside the U.S. Thanks !
No. I just feared that the lawyer car was "back in the news". Good that you are aware of what went on there... I suspect getting some pointers from Frank would be a way to go. Now if the car was going to oz....

-mick

·
Registered
584 Posts
The best place to start is here: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

Under registered importers you have a list of shops in your area. They are bonded and authorized by DOT/EPA. The customs broker is up to you or you can work with someone they know locally. Broker will charge about $500 for the docs plus any applicable duty.

To get a true idea how much it will cost, you will have to narrow it down to the exact year car you are looking at so you can price the parts accordingly.

Now, if you find a car and want to close the deal ASAP because it's the buy of a lifetime, a savey broker can direct you.

1. TIB (Temporary Import Bond) will bring it in the US, but only for 6 months, then you have to export or destroy the product. Allows you time to figure out what you want to do with the car (keep or sell overseas). After the 6 month window you can satisfy the export requirement and keep the car here by entering it into a foreign trade zone or bonded warehouse - you will not have use of the car, but it will be physically here. Both are not part of the Customs Territory of the U.S.

2. You can also bring it in under a Carnet. Not designed for this, but will allow you to bring it in. The Carnet is like a passport for merchandise that allows it to move from country to country with no formal entry requirements. Mostly used on prof equip traveling with a person (TV film crews) and cars brought in for a race series, like Formula 1. A long time ago Lambo did something like the IROC series, I personally imported all those cars under a Carnet.

1 and 2 are not cheap and are only a last resort for a buy of a lifetime. The only proper way (and what I suggest) is locate a car FIRST.. then contact a conversion shop near you and get a customs broker.

Got your PM .. wish you were coming Sat/Sun because we are doing Moroso today and Italafest Concours Sunday...

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
why whats wrong with bringing a car from kuwait?
Kind of an odd question to dredge up another old thread with, but, our Kuwaitie friends have told us numerous stories about cars from the middle east that have not been properly maintained, improperly repaired, etc. You obviously know how to use the search function - keep using it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts