Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, and Yes I've been a member for a couple months, BUT I bought my 2011 Blu Fontus Spyder in the middle of winter here in Eastern PA. I figured I wouldn't do an intro until I had something valid to express about the purchase since I didn't get to drive it....until Easter Sunday and a couple times since and I'm simply amazed. ALL my sports cars in the past have been strictly 3 pedal manual transmissions. I've always said, If it doesn't have 3 Pedals it's for Pussies. One of my favorites was a 2006 Carrera S in Midnight Blue. I bought it in 2011 w/ 11,900 miles and sold just before Christmas (9yr 10mo ownership) w/ 24,027 miles. It turned 20k FIVE years ago, I think I was getting bored w/ it. Beautiful car but it was time to move on.........
Now finding it impossible to find a gated manual Gallardo in the specs I wanted made me start to regret selling the Porsche. The ones I did find would have me compromise for things like color, year, and even condition/mileage. The replacement for the Porsche HAD to have less miles than it did. I broadened my search then I DID find a car to meet my expectations, BUT it was an E-gear.....so sad I thought but I will probably Never find this same car in the Manual. I figured why walk away from this one just because of that. I felt comforted that at least I still have 1 stickshift car back home in the stable ('89 Supercharged Mustang Foxbody) that I've owned for 25+ years now and it very well may get handed down someday.
That was the logic and I bought the car. It's just a car, if I end up hating it I'll just get something else. After all, if it sucked so bad why would people keep buying them for the 10 years they built them?
Skip to Now.... oh Man this thing is FUN !! I DON'T REGRET MY DECISION AT ALL. I must be getting old because this is like the lazy man's stickshift. It's going to take a while to comfortably get used to it, but it IS cool.
My thoughts / advise now are -- If you are looking to buy a Gated Manual as an 'investment' car and drive very sparingly, Fine!.... If you are looking for (and having trouble finding) your special spec'd car to drive and enjoy, why not try the E-gear. IF you Gotta Have 3 pedals, buy something else for a Second car to beat on, even if it's a Mustang !! -Mike
004.JPG
009.JPG

124 Posts
Congrats on taking the plunge with this Spyder, it's beautiful! Have fun and as you say, head back to the Mustang when you want to have 3 pedals, or as I call it 'stick' :')

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
012.JPG

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes! that brings a question to mind.... Why sometimes you get that awesome throttle blip and sometimes you don't get it at all ? Is that because I'm downshifting at too low an Rpm, or because my foot is completely off the gas pedal. I don't know if I'm even explaining that correctly....

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yes! that brings a question to mind.... Why sometimes you get that awesome throttle blip and sometimes you don't get it at all ? Is that because I'm downshifting at too low an Rpm, or because my foot is completely off the gas pedal. I don't know if I'm even explaining that correctly....
I think its just because of the rpm. The downshift rev match blip is much less noticeable when the valves are closed (basically below 3,500rpm). Its still audible at lower rpm but ya might have to have the windows rolled down as ya come to a stop while downshifting

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Makes sense. It seems more audible when you are using the downshift to actually slow the car down... if it's already slowed to the point the downshift has little affect on engine braking there won't be much of a 'blip'

·
Registered
212 Posts
My car is a manual and I would second this. The truth is, the graziano just isnt a very good transmission. If it was a better transmission I'd say go manual or go home, but as it stands the graziano is the worst transmission in any of my cars. Its slow to warm up, they all have 2nd gear synchro problems, its clunky even when its warmed up, and the clutch pedal is vague. This, combined with the tall gearing meaning you dont have to shift very often, really doesnt make it such a hard decision. I'd still rather have the manual, but I dont think I'd regret it if I had the egear.

One thing I dont understand would be all the people who talk about rev matched downshifts with the egear and how thats a plus. You guys know that you can do that with a manual too? Right? Lol.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My car is a manual and I would second this. The truth is, the graziano just isnt a very good transmission. If it was a better transmission I'd say go manual or go home, but as it stands the graziano is the worst transmission in any of my cars. Its slow to warm up, they all have 2nd gear synchro problems, its clunky even when its warmed up, and the clutch pedal is vague. This, combined with the tall gearing meaning you dont have to shift very often, really doesnt make it such a hard decision. I'd still rather have the manual, but I dont think I'd regret it if I had the egear.

One thing I dont understand would be all the people who talk about rev matched downshifts with the egear and how thats a plus. You guys know that you can do that with a manual too? Right? Lol.
Yep, we're aware! Its just fun that egear does it too :D

·
Vendor
2,621 Posts
HI, and Yes I've been a member for a couple months, BUT I bought my 2011 Blu Fontus Spyder in the middle of winter here in Eastern PA. I figured I wouldn't do an intro until I had something valid to express about the purchase since I didn't get to drive it....until Easter Sunday and a couple times since and I'm simply amazed. ALL my sports cars in the past have been strictly 3 pedal manual transmissions. I've always said, If it doesn't have 3 Pedals it's for Pussies. One of my favorites was a 2006 Carrera S in Midnight Blue. I bought it in 2011 w/ 11,900 miles and sold just before Christmas (9yr 10mo ownership) w/ 24,027 miles. It turned 20k FIVE years ago, I think I was getting bored w/ it. Beautiful car but it was time to move on.........
Now finding it impossible to find a gated manual Gallardo in the specs I wanted made me start to regret selling the Porsche. The ones I did find would have me compromise for things like color, year, and even condition/mileage. The replacement for the Porsche HAD to have less miles than it did. I broadened my search then I DID find a car to meet my expectations, BUT it was an E-gear.....so sad I thought but I will probably Never find this same car in the Manual. I figured why walk away from this one just because of that. I felt comforted that at least I still have 1 stickshift car back home in the stable ('89 Supercharged Mustang Foxbody) that I've owned for 25+ years now and it very well may get handed down someday.
That was the logic and I bought the car. It's just a car, if I end up hating it I'll just get something else. After all, if it sucked so bad why would people keep buying them for the 10 years they built them?
Skip to Now.... oh Man this thing is FUN !! I DON'T REGRET MY DECISION AT ALL. I must be getting old because this is like the lazy man's stickshift. It's going to take a while to comfortably get used to it, but it IS cool.
My thoughts / advise now are -- If you are looking to buy a Gated Manual as an 'investment' car and drive very sparingly, Fine!.... If you are looking for (and having trouble finding) your special spec'd car to drive and enjoy, why not try the E-gear. IF you Gotta Have 3 pedals, buy something else for a Second car to beat on, even if it's a Mustang !! -Mike
You took the words right out of my mouth. I said the same thing, I'd never do an Egear car. Nope, never. Well, then I said, I'll just convert it to a gated and find the exact color car, specs I want, etc... I said all this BEFORE I ever drove an E-gear car. Then I drove one... Well, no way I'm converting it. Love the single clutch setup and it's awesome. This is coming from a guy who also has a 458. I love this car still - I actually appreciate it more now. As time goes on, these cars will go up and up in value as more of the manual owners die off and no one else knows how to drive a manual and then they realize how truly speciale E-Gear is.

Did you get to install the Sprint Booster yet?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YES, I did the same thing. I was researching for the conversion Before ever driving the E-gear. I drove the car a few times now, and Gave Up on THAT now too !!

I DID install the Sprint Booster but only drove once since install and realized near the end of the drive I never put it in Sport or Corsa so can't make a fair assessment yet. ANY WAY TO SET CORSA AS DEFAULT SETTING, for those of us who drive once a week and forget to set the drive mode.... guess it's time for a post-it note placed somewhere obvious, but not embarrASSing until I get into the habit.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess it made the default mode so much better that I didn't realize it Wasn't in Corsa !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts