Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day Lamborghini Family,​

So I haven't been as active as I was before because of medical school.

Anyhow, I have managed to reach 1% of the price of a 2013 lamborghini gallardo, It has took me years to reach. A lot might not see this as a big deal but its an extremely big deal for me. This is the most money I have ever had that I can call my own.

I have a little business, different from this but I never calculate that into any of my earnings. The aim of that business is to help pay off my student loan when I finish school.

So I need help though, I was thinking about investing/trading. I know it is risky but I wanted to know more about it. I have called up some companies in my country and when I have worked it out, the most money I could make via investing based on the average profit of their investors would be like 50 usd in an entire year with my current investment(1% of lambo price). To me that is not practical as my business can make that in 1 month in the slowest period, or less than 1 day in a fast period. The deeper I reach into med school though, the harder it is to really pay attention to it. So majority of times I have to just stop and say ok next few months I resume, but I do have a business mindset and I still like making money as a hobby. I hate spending though, unless spending means more earnings.

Back to the point. Is it possible for a nonUS citizen who reside outside of the US to do stock trading on US market? and how would I go about doing it? Is there a trust able company? How would i receive payments, through paypal or what? and any advice would be wonderfully appreciated.

Renhard​

·
Registered
844 Posts
Welcome back! Glad you returned and best of luck on your journey. Those are interesting questions indeed... I invest in the stock market monthly and I have since I was 18, (24 now). I am not surprised with the 50$ a year if you invest in safer stock. You need quite a bit of money to get a generally good return on your investments. I think that's one reason a lot of young people avoid the stock market is this hurdle.

If you're asking about how to make more money in the stock market I'd focus on 2 things. #1- look for high yield stock but also try to find high yield + safe stocks. AT&T is a prime example, its a big established company with a 4.51% yield (as of today). I avoid stocks that pay less than 2% yield regularly. "Recession proof" stocks are also a good way to judge a stock.

You can try your hand on penny stocks and high risk stocks that are very volatile. Do your research on these, I have almost no experience in that field.

#2- I know you're in medical school but pay attention to the news, the businesses your interested in investing in and upcoming releases. Sometimes you get lucky for example, I got a big return on my money when Duke energy bought out PNY last year, I did not know it was going to happen but I am sure others did by doing research. Another recent example is Pokemon Go being released and Nintendo stock nearly doubled. I never invested in it due to it's low yield.... But I should have.

I hope that answered part of your questions, I am no expert but that is what I do.
As for Trading stocks I hardly do that, I just invest not trade. You being a non US citizen I am not sure how that works but I assume you can use a US internet broker to do your transactions.

Like I said I am no expert, take all advice with a grain of salt. Best of luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I am going to do some more research. Was wondering though how I start the actually investing though, like I have to go to a company or what. What is the procedure to just start?

·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
14,011 Posts
Renhard
You need to have an account with firm that allows you to buy and sell stocks or mutual funds. Google Fidelty or Vanguard. You will have to open an account. Not sure if living in Jamaica will be a problem?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Renhard
You need to have an account with firm that allows you to buy and sell stocks or mutual funds. Google Fidelty or Vanguard. You will have to open an account. Not sure if living in Jamaica will be a problem?
Thank you sir. I am going to do that now then.

·
Registered
299 Posts
1+ on vanguard. I would invest in the S&P 500 Index Fund and avoid managed funds. Managed will always have higher fees which is what eats up your returns.

Just realize that you and most of us in the forum are not going to become a millionaire in the stock market. It's all about math. 10% return on $1k is no where hear the return on $1million. Just keep the mindset that this money is for your retirement because it takes a long time to see the benefit of compound interest.

Most of the wealthy have made their money in their business. Try to grow your business as much as possible.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1+ on vanguard. I would invest in the S&P 500 Index Fund and avoid managed funds. Managed will always have higher fees which is what eats up your returns.

Just realize that you and most of us in the forum are not going to become a millionaire in the stock market. It's all about math. 10% return on $1k is no where hear the return on $1million. Just keep the mindset that this money is for your retirement because it takes a long time to see the benefit of compound interest.

Most of the wealthy have made their money in their business. Try to grow your business as much as possible.
Contacted both vanguard and both doesn't deal with international persons. Well that is an inaccurate statement. Better said, one only deals with institutional investment internationally, not individual. And the other that does deal with individual investment, doesn't do it for Jamaica.

So I think I will have to follow your advice and just try to grow this business.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are loads of platforms you can trade on - also things like binaries can be good for those with smaller deposits. Don't be put off - as long as you do your research, you can make a bit of money trading, and there are plenty of places to do that online. Also - try financial spread betting too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I trade stocks heavily. I used to work at Merrill Lynch and had all my licenses to do so. You can make substantial returns trading. That being said, you should never invest in the stock market if you need that money in a year or less. Learn to use a time value of money calculator to project growth. Do a quick search and look for zenwealth. They have a free one to use. Expand your time horizon. If you want to have a $2500 now, with a 12% return, you need to making $1050 monthly additions to get to $250k for your car. If you have 20 years, you only need $225. Anybody can afford a super car if they were willing to invest for a long enough period of time. Adjust your budget, time frame, and payments to figure out what is feasible for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I trade stocks heavily. I used to work at Merrill Lynch and had all my licenses to do so. You can make substantial returns trading. That being said, you should never invest in the stock market if you need that money in a year or less. Learn to use a time value of money calculator to project growth. Do a quick search and look for zenwealth. They have a free one to use. Expand your time horizon. If you want to have a $2500 now, with a 12% return, you need to making $1050 monthly additions to get to $250k for your car. If you have 20 years, you only need $225. Anybody can afford a super car if they were willing to invest for a long enough period of time. Adjust your budget, time frame, and payments to figure out what is feasible for you. Good luck.
Best advice I ever got in business school! True, and so few seem to be aware of it, or consider the implications. Time is the greatest asset to gaining wealth. So many people never start the clock and instead focus on getting rich quick while sitting on the money they have.

PLAY WITH THAT INVESTMENT CALCULATOR! It will show you what is possible.

·
Registered
821 Posts
You can't get rich by doing retail trading. The only way to get rich from stock market is IPO or work inside the financial system.

Your best bet is to grow your business or work in a lucrative career...

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can't get rich by doing retail trading. The only way to get rich from stock market is IPO or work inside the financial system.

Your best bet is to grow your business or work in a lucrative career...
You can come up with a enough to buy a 100-150k car investing relatively easily. People just don't want to save, invest, and wait. If you squirrel away every month, most people in the 50k+ income levels could have 1 expensive thing, be it a car or whatever eventually. It's all about priorities. Do you want to go one vacations or save? Do you want to eat at expensive restaurants or save? If it's important, you can have a Lambo on a relatively low income.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts