Lamborghini Talk banner
1641 - 1660 of 2007 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
The car was bought by another dealer. Now on the market for about $10k more than last asking price by Broward Lamborghini

Seems to be a common theme, dealer taps out another buys in at a lower entry, re-lists, drops prices until they're out of room, wholesales to another dealer, rinse & repeat.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Seems to be a common theme, dealer taps out another buys in at a lower entry, re-lists, drops prices until they're out of room, wholesales to another dealer, rinse & repeat.
Each dealer thinks they are the smarter bear. Nowadays the consumer is smarter, thanks to social media like this.
Yes, but there is no cornering the market. As you can see, the new dealer is into the car at a lower cost and prices it appropriately. What I am a bit surprised about in the case of the STO is the lack of end customer demand at these numbers now while it seemed like a few months ago, there was and the prices have dropped about 10% since.

·
Premium Member
Aventador Roadster Extreme Edition, Huracan Performante, Gallardo Performante
2,378 Posts
Not necessarily because historically V10 & V12 prices don't tend to rise or fall in lockstep.

The SVJ and Ulitmae will continue drop in value and the replacement will further impact prices when people realize the V12 isn't dead.
Yeah, I don't believe in the "last PURE V12" hype holding up against the new V12 hybrid. People are trying to make the battery a negative factor, but I don't think it will be.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Let me propose another senario
By the end of the year inflation is lower with economic recovery in full tilt. Gas prices are significantly lower, interest rates are lower, inflation is lower, unemployment is lower, basically everything that economists have been pointing as responsible for our current financial situation has turned around.
Do you think that the current volumes of available cars will increase and force prices down as many of you have predicted.
I ask because I am reading signs that this will be a short (very short) downturn and huge rise come the end of the year.
I know the Canadian market is a little different due to tax implementation and hibernation. I don’t think supply chain problems will disappear which still slows new car production and increases used car desirability.
I could see a stabilization of car prices on the higher end (perhaps not at the high of November 2021 but higher than what most here predict

·
Registered
230 Posts
Let me propose another senario
By the end of the year inflation is lower with economic recovery in full tilt. Gas prices are significantly lower, interest rates are lower, inflation is lower, unemployment is lower, basically everything that economists have been pointing as responsible for our current financial situation has turned around.
Do you think that the current volumes of available cars will increase and force prices down as many of you have predicted.
I ask because I am reading signs that this will be a short (very short) downturn and huge rise come the end of the year.
I know the Canadian market is a little different due to tax implementation and hibernation. I don’t think supply chain problems will disappear which still slows new car production and increases used car desirability.
I could see a stabilization of car prices on the higher end (perhaps not at the high of November 2021 but higher than what most here predict
My take is aftermarket prices are going to remain above MSRP as long as you still cannot walk into a Lamborghini dealership and get an immediate allocation. This depends heavily on both the economic environment and whether Lamborghini wants to create a false sense of demand by constraining supply, something that many luxury brands have moved towards over the year.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My take is aftermarket prices are going to remain above MSRP as long as you still cannot walk into a Lamborghini dealership and get an immediate allocation. This depends heavily on both the economic environment and whether Lamborghini wants to create a false sense of demand by constraining supply, something that many luxury brands have moved towards over the year.
Probably correct. A new Lambo whether Urus, STO or Evo has about a 20-30% built in premium over sticker now. But a drop from there is going to be substantial, even if it doesn’t go all the way to sticker. We have seen the market peak for sure.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Im sure there are regular buyers but not too many now at current prices. The market is adjusting slowly, though. Maybe if the STO gets back to sticker or below, i can look to buy one back :)
It's been like this for a few months and I go back to what I posted over a month ago about dealers selling between each other to keep prices up.

The scary thing is no one has a clue where the bottom of the market is because actual buyers make up a very small % of the market right now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's been like this for a few months and I go back to what I posted over a month ago about dealers selling between each other to keep prices up.

The scary thing is no one has a clue where the bottom of the market is because actual buyers make up a very small % of the market right now.
It feels eerily similar to what happened to the watch market. 5-7 years ago many unobtainable watches were very obtainable, even at a discount. Then once inventory became limited at the dealer/manufacturer level, secondary prices moved up. Grey market watch dealers began to churn watches back and forth raising the prices in the secondary market. At first it was only a few, or even one, watch brand that purposefully held back supply on their most desired line. Two years ago you started seeing Rolex and other brands do the same thing.

If it remains difficult for a new buyer to walk into a Lambo dealership and purchase a car, there remains a very strong chance that used car prices remain over MSRP or fair value. Who knows, maybe Lamborghini is even funding this dealer churn themselves so that Lamborghinis end up becoming a real Veblen good.

I said it in my previous post but I don't think we see used prices come down until allocations become readily available at the dealership level. Once that happens, it means demand really isn't there to support production numbers and used car prices will return to normal.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
It feels eerily similar to what happened to the watch market. 5-7 years ago many unobtainable watches were very obtainable, even at a discount. Then once inventory became limited at the dealer/manufacturer level, secondary prices moved up. Grey market watch dealers began to churn watches back and forth raising the prices in the secondary market. At first it was only a few, or even one, watch brand that purposefully held back supply on their most desired line. Two years ago you started seeing Rolex and other brands do the same thing.

If it remains difficult for a new buyer to walk into a Lambo dealership and purchase a car, there remains a very strong chance that used car prices remain over MSRP or fair value. Who knows, maybe Lamborghini is even funding this dealer churn themselves so that Lamborghinis end up becoming a real Veblen good.

I said it in my previous post but I don't think we see used prices come down until allocations become readily available at the dealership level. Once that happens, it means demand really isn't there to support production numbers and used car prices will return to normal.
I was going to post about Rolex. Rolex prices are plummet from their peak but AD's are still holding new inventory hostage so they can control the market. You can control the market if there's demand but it's a dangerous game because if demand falls you're now left with a lot of inventory you can't move.

I don't trust car dealers or car manufactures because the excuse is still "supply chain issues" but if you take a deep dive into key sectors of the economy you'll realize demand is falling and supply is going up.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think a lot of dealers overpaid for cars these last few months and that's the reason we're seeing inventory go up. The few I contacted last couple weeks straight up said they can't reduce the price much because it would be a loss for them. Also, the latest cheaper Huracan that just hit Canadian AT was sold a month ago by a dealer in BC and was just re-listed by another dealer in AB :|

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think a lot of dealers overpaid for cars these last few months and that's the reason we're seeing inventory go up. The few I contacted last couple weeks straight up said they can't reduce the price much because it would be a loss for them. Also, the latest cheaper Huracan that just hit Canadian AT was sold a month ago by a dealer in BC and was just re-listed by another dealer in AB :|
Eat whatever the loss is, buy at current wholesale and price appropriately is better than just holding on to hope. This way, the dealer will be priced competitively compared to others that are stuck and priced too high.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I can't remember the last time there were 70 H's for sale in Canada and we still have the usual end of summer cars that will start hitting the market.

If this was last year or even pre-COVID I wouldn't be worried because usually around this time of year US dealers would be snatching up CDN supercars. Unfortunately US buyers are strapped with inventory and there's not enough Canadian buyers for $300k+ cars so the worst case scenario of oversupply is starting to unfold.

1641 - 1660 of 2007 Posts