Lamborghini Talk banner

Huracan depreciation during 2020...

11K views 58 replies 17 participants last post by  iLLSE 
#1 ·
Thought this group would find this interesting (I know I am always interested in this kind of stuff)...I bought my 2019 huracan 580-2 from lamborghini Houston in January 2020, with 3900 miles for $200k (no trade in). Almost 12 months later, traded it in to another lamborghini dealership for $190k (I put 3300 miles on it and traded in when due for annual service...zero dollars spent in my year of ownership). Obviously, I could have simply paid too much for my new aventador (so they artificially propped up my trade in value), but I did quite a bit of analysis and negotiation with different dealerships for aventadors...I felt pretty good that I got a very fair purchase price. When I also look at list prices for huracans now, they seem strong versus a year ago. best $10k I have spent for a year with a terrific car!

Reactions: Cadster and DXM31
#3 ·
I’m being offered $195K for my 2018 580-2 with 2500 miles which includes my tax credit. That’s on my trade for the New EVO RWD. 6 months ago it would have been 10k less. I’m still asking for more.

#4 ·
I will add another data point and although supportive as we all know in statistics we hardly have an adequate sample size......but the data is encouraging. I was offered 202K (with the tax advantage included) by the dealership that sold me the Huracan as a trade for a new 2021 EVO. My Huracan had 1600 miles on it when I bought it, and now has about 2700 total miles. Still not sure I will go with the EVO though........more to follow. Love my Rosso Mars Metallic Huracan.

#8 ·
I posted back in March the supercar market wouldn't collapse but instead we would see an increased demand based on the fact people would make money in the markets. Not many believed me but that's exactly how it played out. Demand surged which meant values remained strong.

I expect the strong demand to last well into 2021, money is cheap and there's plenty of money out there sitting in bank accounts and plenty of money made in the markets/crypto waiting to be spent once COVID is over so I expect strong sales and values for the foreseeable future.

#14 ·
Dallas never returns my e-mails or calls X2, Houston I was interested in a 2019 Huracan but they responded like molasses until the vehicle was sold out from under me. It may have only been an issue for me but my experience in Texas is that they are not that customer centric. Now I have heard others claim Dallas is great but that has not been my experience. Went out of state. The Porsche dealerships in Texas also are lackluster and they make up for it with marginal to poor customer service.

#17 ·
I am not sure anyone can answer that question but I will give you a WAG. The pricing has been trending up for several months and couple that with supply constraints plus factory output being down secondary to COVID and I think those price points you are suggesting are unlikely unless you are talking about high mileage 580s/610s. To be clear, this is just a WAG.

#24 ·
I think when you accept that the ownership costs 3-4k per month, you don't care about how much the car will be sold for and enjoy the car more.

It sounds like everyone wants to drive a lambo and earn money doing it :)
Lol this guy and his monthly depreciation figures.

Depreciation varies market to market. Maybe a 610 in Germany is dropping in value but say in the UK they're holding value. A lot of factors at play.

#22 ·
I won’t speak for the group but as far as I am concerned money management is both a mindset and a habit. So I think in every situation how can I make money or if not how can I mitigate my loses. That in no way diminishes the joy of Lamborghini ownership. As we all know "watch the money or watch out"!

#23 ·
it can also easily get into the direction of overengineering since that type of analysis typically ignores the time domain. Value of owning the car now vs. later is difficult to calculate before actually having the car.

happened to me. since the prices were always dropping I was about get caught in the loop of waiting for a better deal. And then each day you think, well they will release a new huracan model soon, why don't I order that one. then you think ok huracan is old, there will be a huracan replacement why don't i wait for that one. etc etc. and time passes and you don't have the car.

same applies after having the car. When should I sell for the best value, how many miles, how many years should i keep, depreciation, and so on. Then anytime you want to drive, you think about how many miles you'll burn that day.

Therefore, for me easiest was looking at the current used huracans in the market and taking into account the one with the lowest price as my future selling price. I accept this as a reality. and if it happens I sell it for more, then a good reason to celebrate.

not the best financial approach, but a happy one :)

#26 ·
i never look at the car as anything but a depreciating asset--and never consider limiting my miles for fear of the car losing value. i just try to get the best deal i can when i buy or sell, then enjoy it to the fullest! i started this thread simply relaying what may be an obvious point to some/many--that the huracan values are relatively strong versus other points in time--so everyone should join me in trading in and spending more money :)

Reactions: DXM31
#28 ·
I have a 2013 458 spider, that I bought for $223k two years ago and sold for $220k last week (not ncluding tax savings). I am in AZ and we have the same tax advantages when selling thru dealers but I don't think you should include the tax value savings when discussing depreciation. Yes it saves you sales tax on your new purchase but what the dealer gave you for your trade compared to what you paid for it is the true depreciation. I am thinking about the 580-2 spider, hence the reason why I am on this site. Good info guys, just thought I would give my thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#39 ·
Hit 60 today so got in a great day of top down driving, might be my last as big storm expected this week so car might get put away, so in the 3+ weeks of owning this car have put almost 700 miles on it and loving it. But yea the attention it gets is crazy. Worst is when i'm just cruising and zoning out listening to car sound and music and someone right next to me decides to blast there horn or scream something.

#47 ·
If you’re lucky enough to own a Performante I would hang on to it..

Reactions: fabo
#53 ·
Yes, it was a beautiful car, intended to reel in suckers like myself who feel 20 years younger when they open the door to the magic kingdom, LOL! This one had racing seats which I fell in love with at first seating! Apparently these seats are more supportive for folks with back problems (I've got some compressed vertebrae from a previous wreck, ugh!).

It's actually their 'Rossa Scuderia', which has a bit more orange than the 'resale red', aka Rossa Corso. Porsche has done the same thing with their older Guards Red, but I don't know what they call their new color. looks fab, also!

I looked at a Rossa Corsa 458 when I started hunting - a gorgeous spec and price - but the color just didn't thrill me in person, then I found a Bianco Avus instead as you can see (which I like a lot, btw).

The Scuderia color really 'pops' in person. If my 'fitting' in the Huracan Spyder with the sport seats next week doesn't yield a successful result, I may end up with another Ferrari, most likely the F8 (oh no!).

I acknowledge what Blu said about his 488, but I'll very likely be keeping my 458, so still a bit of drama left in my life. And it's got a Tune, a Kline exhaust, and some other mods. So it roars, grumbles, drones and pops, especially when dumping gears. And as a soon to be 8 year old car, I drive it without fear.

At my age, I'm kind of liking the more sedate but precise driving the F8 affords. But geez it is rocket fast (710 hp TT) with barely a hint of turbo lag, and it felt confident under heavy acceleration.

But deliveries on the F8 Spider are currently 12-18 months out! Crazy stuff. Decisions, decisions......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.