Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
13,980 Posts
I guess it is something but not so sure an SV.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The LP620 has mid rear end mounted exhaust tips like this test mule. I wonder if it was simply an engine test/mod on a LP620 that was road tested

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
I hope not. I think SL should stay with the V10s and SV for the V12s.
I agree, but the Urus may spawn a high performance variant too so they'll have to go one way or the other with the naming. Calling it the Huracan SV apparently is being talked about to distinguish from the Gallardo lineup even though the SV has been used through multiple V12 models. The GM I had heard that from also commented that he believes it's 2017 or 2018 at the very earliest. There is too much demand for the coupes and Spyders coming to justify the model yet. The one positive is that the 488 GTB due to reach customers as a 2016 model and the 650S replacement coming in 2017 may be a good chance for Lamborghini to introduce a more powerful lighter weight Huracan at that time to stay front and center with the others. It seems to be a strategy to always have an unveiling if the other is offering something, think back to the LaFerrari unveiling where Lamborghini put a body kit on the Aventador, made 4 to sell 3 of them at $4MM a pop and called it the Veneno. They don't want Ferrari getting all the spotlight.

The downside is the Huracan is so damn quick and the AWD system Lamborghini feels gives it a handling advantage means that even with the newer models from Ferrari and McLaren if the Huracan is not obsolete in performance comparisons they won't feel the need to rush out the SV/Superleggera variant as long as the sales are still decently strong. Usually those models coincide with competitors offerings, particularly Ferrari or sales slowdowns. The original Superleggera came to battle the 430 Scuderia in late 2007 as a 2008 MY and the LP570 came when Ferrari introduced the 458 and Lamborghini was no where near ready to end the Gallardo run at that time. Whenever it comes, I'll likely part with my Huracan Coupe and make the switch.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The downside is the Huracan is so damn quick and the AWD system Lamborghini feels gives it a handling advantage means that even with the newer models from Ferrari and McLaren if the Huracan is not obsolete in performance comparisons they won't feel the need to rush out the SV/Superleggera variant as long as the sales are still decently strong. Usually those models coincide with competitors offerings, particularly Ferrari or sales slowdowns. The original Superleggera came to battle the 430 Scuderia in late 2007 as a 2008 MY and the LP570 came when Ferrari introduced the 458 and Lamborghini was no where near ready to end the Gallardo run at that time. Whenever it comes, I'll likely part with my Huracan Coupe and make the switch.
I wonder if Lamborghini will limit production of the SL. I think now they would be able to sell 500 of them easily. McLaren put a limit on the 675LT and Ferrari puts some limits on their cars.

There was an article a few years back where a Lamborghini executive was saying they would not make a bunch of "special" editions and keep the number of variants down. I also remember that he said they may not do a Performante variant. It doesn't make a ton of sense to save weight and then add it back with the convertible roof. Then again it will sell so I think they will make it. And finally in either that same article or somewhere else it said the SL could be RWD. I think that would be perfect. Making it RWD will save a lot of weight (wasn't it like 150 pounds on the Gallardo?), make it even more extreme, and allow them to keep the numbers down. It could end up we have the LP610 coupe and spyder and the SL does what the old 550 and 570 did in one model.

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
I'm really they give us a LP-610-2. I do want the new spyder, but it would be worth it to me to wait for the RWD. Hopefully we will know something by September.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I really like the Huracan from all angles, except from the back. To me it doesn't look like the a Lambo from the rear. I like what I see in these pictures though.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
....There was an article a few years back where a Lamborghini executive was saying they would not make a bunch of "special" editions and keep the number of variants down....
It was Winklemann who stated that.
But, manufacturers just can't resist trying to sell these 'not so special' editions. Some of these variants are nothing more than trim and paint schemes. ;)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I recall reading or hearing the strong possibility the Superleggera/SV version goes RWD as well, despite that going against their AWD bias for super cars.

I doubt we get quite as many special one off versions but I would believe there will certainly be more than what the Aventador has spawned. The Huracan is a more volume car for Lamborghini. The Performante was a demand that originated from the Middle Eastern Market who apparently wanted the flash of the LP570 in a Spyder. With the Speciale A and the almost certainty that the 675LT will be offered in a convertible after the coupes I think there will definitely be a Performante version down the road.

RWD makes sense, but for those of you that have not driven a Huracan I find the new setup to feel absolutely nothing like the heavy steering feel of my LP570 Super Trofeo Stradale. The STS felt like an AWD car, the Huracan feels far sharper.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It was Winklemann who stated that.
But, manufacturers just can't resist trying to sell these 'not so special' editions. Some of these variants are nothing more than trim and paint schemes. ;)
I thought it was a Lamborghini North America executive but then again my memory on that is fuzzy it was so long ago. I wanted to say that was December 2013, but that was when the car was first shown so I think it was December 2012.

I recall reading or hearing the strong possibility the Superleggera/SV version goes RWD as well, despite that going against their AWD bias for super cars.

I doubt we get quite as many special one off versions but I would believe there will certainly be more than what the Aventador has spawned. The Huracan is a more volume car for Lamborghini. The Performante was a demand that originated from the Middle Eastern Market who apparently wanted the flash of the LP570 in a Spyder. With the Speciale A and the almost certainty that the 675LT will be offered in a convertible after the coupes I think there will definitely be a Performante version down the road.

RWD makes sense, but for those of you that have not driven a Huracan I find the new setup to feel absolutely nothing like the heavy steering feel of my LP570 Super Trofeo Stradale. The STS felt like an AWD car, the Huracan feels far sharper.
It could come down to what gives more performance. RWD saves weight, but AWD gives more grip in corners. I just don't want to see too many variants. I think we're safe with the special editions, but 6 variants (AWD, RWD, and SL) just seem like too many.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts