Lamborghini Talk banner

701 - 720 of 766 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder
15,415 Posts
That’s really too bad. I hate to think it’s coming to Lamborghini. 2022?

·
Registered
Current: SVJ, Pista, Urus, G80 M3 | Previous: 610, 580, Performante, Aventador
1,157 Posts
China introduced China 6 back in July which was basically modelled after EU6 but with a few differences. One key difference between the two was China basically required all gas powered cars including hybrids to be equipped with GPFs which is why the Chinese EVO has a GPF.

It makes no financial sense for Lamborghini to produce a non-GPF model for the US when China and Europe require GPF. Yes, the US is the biggest market but it also gives Lamborghini an excuse to have dealers sell you a $10k+ OEM race exhaust.

I still believe MY22 models will get GPF.

·
Registered
2015 Lamborghini Huracan Grigio Lynx
43 Posts
China introduced China 6 back in July which was basically modelled after EU6 but with a few differences. One key difference between the two was China basically required all gas powered cars including hybrids to be equipped with GPFs which is why the Chinese EVO has a GPF.

It makes no financial sense for Lamborghini to produce a non-GPF model for the US when China and Europe require GPF. Yes, the US is the biggest market but it also gives Lamborghini an excuse to have dealers sell you a $10k+ OEM race exhaust.

As long as there is a gpf free oem race exhaust option via dealer installation,I’m good.

I don’t buy the argument that it makes no financial sense to make a non gpf car for the us market. The cost difference is negligible and probably cheaper without the gpf as those are likely to be costly. Plus, being the last good sounding super car on the market will likely sell more cars. I’d think harder about buying a Ferrari if Lamborghini’s sounded musseled as well.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Yes, the US is the biggest market but it also gives Lamborghini an excuse to have dealers sell you a $10k+ OEM race exhaust.

Dealers here, at least mine, make you sign a waiver acknowledging that the race exhaust is not street legal. I have a feeling even that will change when Lamborghini adds the GPF, I don't think they will allow dealers to remove it and if it is removed will affect warranty. Also from the Ferrari forum removing it gets you a CEL and you can't pass inspection, while cars now that go with aftermarket don't have that issue will ones with GPF? The days of working around these regulated devices are coming to an end I fear

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dealers here, at least mine, make you sign a waiver acknowledging that the race exhaust is not street legal. I have a feeling even that will change when Lamborghini adds the GPF, I don't think they will allow dealers to remove it and if it is removed will affect warranty. Also from the Ferrari forum removing it gets you a CEL and you can't pass inspection, while cars now that go with aftermarket don't have that issue will ones with GPF? The days of working around these regulated devices are coming to an end I fear
I disagree, it’s not required in the US so there is no reason a dealer wouldn’t help you out. Cat back exhaust generally don’t void warranties, and if a dealership tried to use that as a basis for not covering a repair it would be overturned in court(I have personally had that experience). The Ferrari gpf is monitored by sensors, Audi and porsche are not, hence no CEL.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I disagree, it’s not required in the US so there is no reason a dealer wouldn’t help you out. Cat back exhaust generally don’t void warranties, and if a dealership tried to use that as a basis for not covering a repair it would be overturned in court(I have personally had that experience). The Ferrari gpf is monitored by sensors, Audi and porsche are not, hence no CEL.
Not sure about this one........

I have a Capristo Wizard OBD on my 458 whose purpose is to squelch the specific code (and only that code) from high flow cats. Novitec is making an aftermarket exhaust for the F8, but I don't know if it deletes the GPF and whether it is a potential warranty infringement. If so, it would be too risky IMO.

But at least the bad news is already out with the F8.

But this gets to the heart of my concern with buying a 2022 Lambo (which realistically is my timing). I don't mind buying my way out of the GPF with an aftermarket exhaust and/or signing a waiver, but I'm a bit hesitant to place an order without some assurance there'll be a workaround were it to show up with a GPF.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not sure about this one........

I have a Capristo Wizard OBD on my 458 whose purpose is to squelch the specific code (and only that code) from high flow cats. Novitec is making an aftermarket exhaust for the F8, but I don't know if it deletes the GPF and whether it is a potential warranty infringement. If so, it would be too risky IMO.

But at least the bad news is already out with the F8.

But this gets to the heart of my concern with buying a 2022 Lambo (which realistically is my timing). I don't mind buying my way out of the GPF with an aftermarket exhaust and/or signing a waiver, but I'm a bit hesitant to place an order without some assurance there'll be a workaround were it to show up with a GPF.
I share your feeling completely.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can’t comment on Audis, but Porsche installs a dummy GPF in North American cars that mimics the back pressure of a functioning filter as used in other markets. It’s therefore not monitored by the ECU. I could potentially see Lambo doing something like this for our market.... but my bet is still that they continue to assemble Huracans for the US & Canada without GPFs (or backpressure canister) for the remainder of the Huracan’s product life (all variants).

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder
15,415 Posts
Does or will this coming GPF affect performance? It sure seems like that might be another issue to consider. It will produce more back pressure. So many unknowns right now. All I know is I wouldn’t wait for 2022 to find out if you’re in the market to buy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, some companies have had to make tuning adjustments to recover the lost power (8 hp in this case?). Not to mention the additional heat these units generate which may create other reliability issues.

Most STO’s will be produced in MY22 so it’s not really in the customer’s control. I suspect many in NA will consider canceling their order if the car comes equipped with a GPF and there isn’t a satisfactory workaround in the aftermarket. Ideally a solution that’s offered by Akrapovic/Lambo that’s still covered by warranty.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Porsche and I believe Audi as well have stated that the gpf for the US market are fake/non functional filters. 1) it has been questioned weather or not this is the case or not after internal inspection but presuming it is the case 2) the increase in back pressure is the same and the plugged up horrible exhaust note is the same, 3) the detriment to the engine via increased back pressure and heat is the same and 4) the negative impact on performance is the same.

all this with no environmental benefit when a fake gpf is used

with regards to the magnitude of performance detriment the gpf, it seem to be similar to the effect of the cats, so maybe 3-5% in general and likely requires a slightly different tune because of the much higher back pressure. If manufacturers left hp on the table from the pre gpf car they could likely tune the final power to be the same.

·
Registered
Current: SVJ, Pista, Urus, G80 M3 | Previous: 610, 580, Performante, Aventador
1,157 Posts
The % of buyers that care about GPF is very slim so I don't think dealers are worried about cancellations because there's plenty of buyers who would still buy a STO with a GPF. I'll take the GPF over a hybrid or full electric.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Porsche and I believe Audi as well have stated that the gpf for the US market are fake/non functional filters. 1) it has been questioned weather or not this is the case or not after internal inspection but presuming it is the case 2) the increase in back pressure is the same and the plugged up horrible exhaust note is the same, 3) the detriment to the engine via increased back pressure and heat is the same and 4) the negative impact on performance is the same.

all this with no environmental benefit when a fake gpf is used

with regards to the magnitude of performance detriment the gpf, it seem to be similar to the effect of the cats, so maybe 3-5% in general and likely requires a slightly different tune because of the much higher back pressure. If manufacturers left hp on the table from the pre gpf car they could likely tune the final power to be the same.
I think your assessment and understanding is correct. By not having actual filters that are monitored by the ECU, it should be easier/possible to add an aftermarket exhaust and tune.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The % of buyers that care about GPF is very slim so I don't think dealers are worried about cancellations because there's plenty of buyers who would still buy a STO with a GPF. I'll take the GPF over a hybrid or full electric.
I think Lamborghini is very worried. I think the brand feels it distinguishes it self in the segment with its spectacular sounding engines. I have heard interviews with Lamborghini executives fearing the impact these regulations could have on sales. I agree, that many “rich guy” consumers won’t know the difference and will be undeterred in their purchases and that probably makes up a majority of Lamborghini sales. The enthusiast will notice the difference and be disappointed but I suspect most will proceed with their planned purchases. I do think a few people will evaluate other options I.e. used my2021 or consider another brand since non of them with sound particularly good. Others may wait for the next generation baby lambo.

I agree with you that at this point in time I would rather have a light stripped down racy car like the sto with that great V10 but it wouldn’t surprise me if Lamborghini really impresses with its next gen baby lambo. I mean something like a baby Sian could get me pretty excited.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think your assessment and understanding is correct. By not having actual filters that are monitored by the ECU, it should be easier/possible to add an aftermarket exhaust and tune.
Yes, it would not be the difficult task it is in the Ferrari. Issues are that an aftermarket tune will probably void the warranty and while they add a little bit of power sometimes they causes issues that you would rather not have.

I think I’ve said it before but I think Lamborghini puts a lot of time into tuning the exhaust design to get a great sound, a sound that is characteristically Lamborghini. I have not specifically listened to many aftermarket Lamborghini exhaust because I like the sound of the oem exhaust. My experience with my other sports cars is that the aftermarket doesn’t spend much if any time tuning the exhaust sound, but rather they create a louder solution with less back pressure and they’re done.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
3,399 Posts
Was that at the Charlotte dealership? Not much of a turnout; was it COVID or before the official scheduled reveal time?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, it would not be the difficult task it is in the Ferrari. Issues are that an aftermarket tune will probably void the warranty and while they add a little bit of power sometimes they causes issues that you would rather not have.

I think I’ve said it before but I think Lamborghini puts a lot of time into tuning the exhaust design to get a great sound, a sound that is characteristically Lamborghini. I have not specifically listened to many aftermarket Lamborghini exhaust because I like the sound of the oem exhaust. My experience with my other sports cars is that the aftermarket doesn’t spend much if any time tuning the exhaust sound, but rather they create a louder solution with less back pressure and they’re done.
Agree with you on preferring OEM exhaust sound which undergo exhaustive tuning (pun intended) to achieve a very specific tonal quality that is rarely improved upon by aftermarket companies. GT Porsches are another group of cars where aftermarket exhausts almost always just sound louder vs louder + higher quality.

This is why an "off road" system co-developed by Lambo/Akrapovic could be an interesting solution.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Was that at the Charlotte dealership? Not much of a turnout; was it COVID or before the official scheduled reveal time?
Yes. There were folks in and out. Was a Saterday before the car was headed to ATL.

I am thrilled to have seen it in person, and am seriously considering.

701 - 720 of 766 Posts