Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car was riding a little rough. After a check-up, inside the distributor cap was green and very wet. After it was cleaned and dried everything is back to normal. I have washed the car only four times this summer and was very very careful not get water in the engine compartment. I used plastic to cover the entire engine. So I was very surprised to find water in the cap. I was told that my garage is very humid and this is probably where the water came from.

Does anyone agree with this and is there a solution to this problem?

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
SI LAMBO said:
is there a solution to this problem?
Move to the Sacramento area. Its like 110 and no humidity here. :D (sorry - could not help myself).

But seriously, wasn't there talk of having the distributor cap drilled so as to allow the water buildup to evaporate? Isn't that the deal with standard OEM caps???

-mick

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have similar experience with moisture and 'green' in the cap. I have quite recently put a new cap /rotor and made holes in the cap. If I didn't live in such a remote location I would probably switch to a distributorless ignition.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
The Diablo caps had little holes too prevent moisture whereas the identical Jaguar caps do not have these holes.
Drill two 1mm holes at the bottom of the cap and it should be fine.

Funny, the countach do not have this problem, only the Diablos... :confused:

·
Registered
584 Posts
EXACTLY...

The stock one has 2 holes appx 1/8" drilled at 5 & 7 o'clock.
When I did the NAPA replacement with a Jag cap, I drilled abut 4 holes.

The plastic cover on top of the distributor should keep water away, but like you, I cover the motor when washing but do it to keep water spots of the motor... I like it clean all the time
:)

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I have an original cap with the small holes and still experience the green monster in my cap. (Although better than in my pants) :eek: I can understand drilling holes to make the moisture evaporate quicker, but don't this cause a problem when driving in the rain?

I really don't want to move to Sacramento to resolve this problem...sorry Mick :wave:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Bearing in mind that the dist cap from Lambo costs about £400, and the same Magnetti Marelli cap without the holes that fits a Jag is about £85, these must be some of the most expensive little holes on the planet [and speaking as a dentist this is really saying something]. It is quite ridiculous that I dare not wash my car without putting a cover over the engine for fear of moisture ingress that causes a running problem or the dreaded chk eng codes to appear.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Napa brand cap is about $98US. Some say that it fails and is not as good. I don't know if this is true, but the price difference is rediculous.

·
Registered
213 Posts
hi mike how does your car run with the napa cap and rotor,i have a set but have not installed them yet?how many miles did you have on your cap and rotor before replacing with napa?
thanks
adam

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have about 1,500 miles on my Napa cap and rotor. That includes a lot of city driving and a few long road trips where I pulled her to 160mph a few times. Pulled the cap not long ago to inspect and it's like new inside.

Besides the price and holes, there is another difference in the caps ... the stock Lambo cap is much heavier and made of thicker plastic... weighs about twice as much as the aftermarket cap.

The only person who told me the Jag cap would not work was a shop trying to sell me their cap for $900 or something...

JAP- I don't think your problem is humidity... I mean I'm in Florida and nothings is more humid than here. I think you cap may not be sealing tightly. BTW I placed a light coat of dielectric grease around the area where the cap meets the distributor to keep out any water just in case.

Do you have the shroud that's installed over the distributor? I've seen a few cars with this removed. A plastic "U" shapped cover that painted silver and has 3 mounting points - desgined to keep water off distribuor.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Frank,
I don't have anything covering my distributor. Mine is ID #12140 very early and don't have some of the small upgrades the older ones did. I am updating as I find things. This is something I need to do. I have a sealer that I use to keep my laser optics clean, it seals but doesn't stick.

I'm working on testing the garage. I just bought a dehumidifier and with only 12 hours running it collected 4 gallons of water. I also checked the humidity level using a hygrometer and it was over 70. An ideal reading is 35. I pretty sure it's due to the pool and surrounding pond water. I had the same problem in reverse with one of my wood storage facilities. The wood was getting too dry. That cost me a few thousand to regulate and about $300 per month.

I'm glad that I found this out now before water damaged other parts of the car. I guess that climate control in my garage is necessary.

I bought the horse...it doesn't stop eating...does it?

·
Registered
584 Posts
70% humidity is nothing for us in FL and I live on the beach, so add salt air also. I think it's water getting in from washing and/or driving in rain.

Mine is also early model (92). Get this part from the dealer, it can't be more than 30 or 40 bucks. Looks like metal, but it's plastic. It will fit your car and uses the same screw holds that holds the round clamps for your plug wire guides.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought a new cap direct from Lamborghini and one from NAPA. Big difference in the two. Lambo's much more money, but I wouldn't want to create a possible problem. I know some of you don't have problems, with the NAPA cap, but soon as I put the NAPA cap on, I'll hear bing, bam, and kaboom!

Also, my new lambo cap does not have any holes in it.

It was probably water from washing the car that caused my problem. I did however climate control my garage with A/C and dehumidifier.

I'll never wash it again! :eek:

·
Registered
584 Posts
OK let me post this so that if someone in the future does it they can use it as a reference guide.

1. NAPA cap/rotor works, but you need the correct one. Only early model Jag systems work, not all. NAPA part numbers are (Rotor) ECH EP896 and (Cap) ECH EP 897. The set is less than $100.

2. You need the holes. When the rotor passes the contacts on the cap an electrical arc is created and ozone also created. The Ozone particles need to escape the cap. Jag uses a vacum pressure to draw out the air - Lambo does not. Lambo, with the rotor acting as a "fan" uses the little holes to push the air with ozone ionized particles out. If it does not, you get that green crude.

Agree with Mick...are you sure you have an OEM cap? They all are suppose to have the holes, and the OEM is about 5 times heavier than the aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
A genuine marelli cap (made in italy) that has no holes is the marelli part made for jaguars.

The issue is not if its a genuine marelli, but if its a genuine lambo part and not just the jag part being supplied as an (incorrect) substitute.

The issue is being seen by a number of folks and it begs the question if some lambo parts importer is buying the "cheaper" jag part and not the correct (drilled) lambo part.

-mick

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike,

So, the Marelli part that I have obviously isn't the NAPA but still may be for the Jaguar since it doesn't have the holes.

Then the question is:

Is Marelli the vendor for Lamborghini and is the cap exactly as the jaguar with the exception of the holes?

If it is the same part So, if you purchase a replacement cap from the jaguar dealer you will get the exact Lambo part without the holes?

My part came from a lambo dealer. I don't think they even know. If they do and I can prove it, I'll let everyone know who they are.

I think that if this is so, it's fooling many people.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update:

Just got off the phone with 4 different dealers parts departments. ALL checked the caps they had in stock and not one had any holes and were Marelli. I emailed the Lambo and Marelli factories for an answer.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I think you have a good feel of the the story line so far :)

SI LAMBO said:
Is Marelli the vendor for Lamborghini and is the cap exactly as the jaguar with the exception of the holes?
yes.

SI LAMBO said:
If it is the same part So, if you purchase a replacement cap from the jaguar dealer you will get the exact Lambo part without the holes?
yes.

I was thinking about this more last night trying to theorize why a number of folks are having this trouble. Lambo sources all sorts of parts from various vendors that may have been designed for other cars. So a cap from marelli originally for a jag seems very plausible.

Maybe lambo did the drilling mod inhouse before final assembly and now years later that step is being skipped/missed when they are supplying this bit as a part??

-mick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts