Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy's I'm having a hard time reading the level of oil in the engine.
I would first warm up my car then switch off the ignition and then draw up the dip stick.
The oil is so clear (clean) than I can hardly see any on the dip stick.
It then starts to pool towards the end tip of the dip stick thats when I see there is actual oil on the dip stick.
I know there are 2 notches on the dip stick for max and min levels but the oil never seems to collect in that area to make any meaningful evaluation.

Are there any tricks to make it easier to read?

·
Registered
464 Posts
The best is to leave the car off for a while And make sure the dip stick is all the way to the end. You should be able to view it perfectly. I do it every weekend for my car and my oil is super clean too.

Check you PM

·
Registered
164 Posts
Try looking at the back of the dip stick....I've found it easier to read. Also try to "feel" where to oil level begins with your finger tips.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Feel the oil?
Would that be a bit too hot to touch?

Cause I tought the correct way to read the oil is to warm the engine to at least 80 degress C

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Oil should ALWAYS be checked cold, otherwise you cannot tell how much is circulating and sitting in various parts of the engine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is an ongoing argument as to whether or not it is better to check your oil when the engine is hot, or when the engine is cold. Some will argue that when the engine is cold and at rest, all the oil is in the pan, and therefore the dipstick will give the most accurate reading. Others will argue that oil expands when hot, so the best time to check the oil is when the engine is warm. Me - I'm not sure!!

If you put the dip stick against a white kitchen towel you should see the level easily - even super clean oil.

·
Registered
23 Posts
reading Gallardo oil level

It's different for the Gallardo. As it is a dry sump system, the manual says to run the engine for at least 2 minutes at 2000 rpm, then switch off and quickly check oil level. Though Lambo London said to do it with the engine still runnning.

·
Registered
93 Posts
terryjoint said:
Oil should ALWAYS be checked cold, otherwise you cannot tell how much is circulating and sitting in various parts of the engine.
My Countach handbook says to measure the oil cold. But which model is this thread about? I don't recall the original poster specifying a car.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Jim, you are right for the C/T it is cold. By the way did you get your tool kit etc. There is one on e bay for a buy it now price of 2,999 USD !!

·
Registered
93 Posts
terryjoint said:
Jim, you are right for the C/T it is cold. By the way did you get your tool kit etc. There is one on e bay for a buy it now price of 2,999 USD !!
I never found the toolkit despite the dealer saying it was there. i'm currently trying to contact them about it but they're not answering their phones or emails. If I can't get any joy I'll have to drag them through the small claims court.

·
Registered
93 Posts
terryjoint said:
Jim,
Would be worth downloading the page and printing it off to prove the value.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6762&item=7938369854&rd=1
That's a fair wodge of cash. If I add in the cost of rectifying the door lock, floor vent and registering the tracker, all of which he said he'd do, then he owes me a fair bit of money. I have written evidence of his commitment to these things, too. I've sued plenty of companies before and never lost. Perhaps he'll see some sense when he gets the letter by recorded delivery...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My car is 1995 Diablo.
So I think the car is using "dry sump".
In this case, the oil should be checked with the engine "hot" right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wipe my dipstick dry insert it in the motor remove quickly and hold it flat on its side. Then while looking at the end I rotate it so the tip starts pointing upward. The oil will start building up, so I can read the level, before it starts runs up the stick. The trick is rotate it enough to read but not so much the it flows onto the dry part of the dipstick.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts