Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First exotic, need help with some handy ways to say no. I learned this weekend that everyone and their uncle asks to sit in, drive, or rev, your car.

·
Super Moderator
3,130 Posts
First exotic, need help with some handy ways to say no. I learned this weekend that everyone and their uncle asks to sit in, drive, or rev, your car.
Unless they’re your family or maybe a young kid, just say no, maybe next time.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just say, my wife/son/brother/sister hasn't even sat it in yet. I promised they would be the first.... or something along that line.

·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
13,524 Posts
I’ve never had that problem, maybe because I’m in an older generation. I get people asking to take photos, that’s it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I let some kids sit in mine at a gas station and they got mud in it. So now I am more reluctant or just look at their shoes. As far as revving it, that's a definite nope. So driving it is a no, except for my son, but he doesn't drive it unless I am with him. The only time I toss someone the keys and say it's yours is the dealer(Lambo Dallas) to get it serviced.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I say "Sorry, but if I let you in then I have to let everyone in and I just don't have time for that."

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I say "Sorry, but if I let you in then I have to let everyone in and I just don't have time for that."
Like that one, thanks

As my wife says, "You have a lambo: Just own it"

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Everyone? How about...
$0 for outside photo, $50 to sit in, $100 to rev, $200 to drive in short distance :evil:

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
I let people take photos outside and kids sit in it for parents to take their photos. But I don’t often offer rides to anyone not very close and or family. I blame tight insurance controls in my policy ... which is just accurate enough to not be a lie and just nebulous enough that no one questions me.

That said, I try to be an ambassador of the car and I’m sure you all do as well. I just don’t have time to take everyone for rides. Then there’s the potential liability which puts a wet blanket on my desire to take people on rides. So, there’s many ways that you could say no, but you may not want to say no to everyone.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I used to let anyone sit in mine if they asked. I felt like I had a social responsibility to share the joy. Then at a local car show a young boy jumped in the driver’s seat, then decided to immediately crawl over into the passenger seat, somehow getting his dirty shoes on both the armrest AND the ceiling. His parents watched the entire mind-bending episode and didn’t say a word.
I walked around to the other side, lifted the scissor door and threw the kid across the parking lot.
Then I had to move to a new city.
Moral of the story: don’t hesitate to say “no“.

·
Super Moderator
3,130 Posts
I got followed into a parking lot recently and the dad politely asked to let the kid sit in the car. Kid was smiling from ear to ear so I had to say yes and the dad took bunch of pictures. Hope it gave him some motivation.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I just about always let kids sit in and get a picture. Why not? Even if they just walk up and compliment the car, I tell them if mom and dad says its okay, they can come take a picture of you sitting in the car. If mom or dad walk up and compliment the car and they have kids with them, I invite them to take pics of their kids in the car. Not once has mom or dad asked to sit in the car themselves. Never had anyone ask to drive it, go for a ride or rev it up. As kids ourselves, we could only dream about seeing a Lambo back in the day. Sure, they're more common now but how often would a kid have that opportunity.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Always let the kids sit in it and take a picture or two; they are usually very careful and you cannot beat that smile. No one drive it, except the wife who I trust with much more than the car.

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
I’ve never had that problem, maybe because I’m in an older generation. I get people asking to take photos, that’s it.
Same with me Russ.

·
Vendor
324 Posts
A polite "No" is more than sufficient. There doesn't really need to be any explanation on your end, and I think the majority of rational people would understand. Just because you're driving your Lamborghini doesn't mean your obligated to allow everyone to sit in it. There are exceptions though that you may think its appropriate to allow a kid to sit in your car, but the revving and driving would be out of the question for me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Then I had to move to a new city.
Moral of the story: don’t hesitate to say “no“.
Ha! I can totally relate. It's like, oh ya this will be fine. OK, I immediately regret this decision.

The kid's smile is worth it - I think it's sort of an age requirement. Under 13? Sure. Over/adult? Maybe next time.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Neighbors I never met before walked by my house last week after I passed them driving home. Their stepson some high school kid was visiting from Florida. Asked if he could take a look at the H. I had already taken my shirt off and was changing into trunks to go surf. I feel a little defensive when some random walks into my garage but I also try to be a good ambassador. I opened the door and told him to sit in it. He asked if I was for real. Without being asked, he took his shoes off and sat in the driver's seat. Then he began rattling off stats 5.2 L V10 580 hp RWD yada yada and astutely noted I had the Unicolor Sportivo interior. I showed him the engine bay and he noted the forged carbon. Boiled down to one gearhead talking story with another.

Caught a ton of waves that afternoon. Goes to show what comes around goes around.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I let kids sit in mine and consider it paying it forward. People have always been respectful. Couple of years ago, while stopped at a light, some rowdy people pulled up next to me and were yelling "do a burnout"..........I simply looked at them and said "It's all wheel drive"....

·
Registered
517 Posts
I go both ways with letting people sit in the car.

I’ve been at car shows where kids ( and more troubling... adults) just can’t keep their paws off the car. I have special wording and particular tone in my voice for them.

Fortunately, the number of great people out there far outweigh the few goofs that you have to tolerate.

If people are respectful, I will often times let the kids sit in the car. The ear to ear grin I see on the kids faces makes me smile too. I usually follow it up with the “if you stay in school study hard and then work even harder, you can own one someday” speech. I can’t tell you how many times, the moms have mouthed the words “thank you” after I’ve given the speech. I guess hearing it from someone other than their parents provides a some positive reinforcement.

Who knows, one day in the future , one of the kids who sat in my car may actually end up buying it. If that were to happen, it would be a fantastic feeling.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts