Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How To Install Carbon Fiber Seats in Lamborghini Gallardo:

GOING IN: Lite Weight Carbon Fiber Seat wrapped in Suede- about 10lbs without any thing bolted to it

Compared to….

COMING OUT: OEM Leather Manual Seat that comes in Northa America 2008 Gallardo Superleggera and many other Gallardo models including SE (electric tilt) about 46lbs WITHOUT the Recaro OEM sliders including factory SRS side airbag.

Savings: 36lbs per side or about 72lbs total for the whole swap.

1. Choose Lite Weight Carbon Fiber Seats and then had them custom wrapped in Suede. I had these in another car for only a couple hundred miles so to match this Lambo I had the inner seat cushions redone in Lamborghini Orange thread in the Q-citura pattern
2. Disconnect battery
3. Slide the seat OEM seats all the way forward
4. Remove rear bolts holding the seats to the ground with socket wrench and correct allen key adapter
5. Slide the seat all the way back, remove front bolts
6. Lift the seat up a little, disconnect the main seat harness and the seat belt receptacle.
7. Pull out seat from the car on to something soft like carpet or a rug in my case
8. Take a Phillips screw driver and remove the 4 bolts on the outside of the seat holding the plastic panels on.
9. Flip seat so the bottom is facing up.
10. Slide plastic panels off and disconnect the power tilt switch
11. Notice the switch is held on by Hot Glue, LOL
12. Cut all the zip ties holding the wire harness on (20 or so)
13. Pull back the leather on the seats slightly by using a flat head screw driver to pry the flat plastic clips off the seat
14. Only thing you need to try and reach from the back leather panel of the seat is the power motor and then that harness will come out. Leave the SRS airbag harness plugged in, its separate going to the airbag.
15. Remove 5 or 6 Allen bolts from the bottom of the OEM seats, you will need to a long allen wrench and make sure it’s a good allen wrench as you will need to use some high strength to remove the Loctite on these bolts.
16. I purchased a whole new set of 16 allen bolts, lock washers, and Loctite nuts from the hardware store.
17. You will need to test fit the seat several times with the side mount brackets as you need to secure the side mounts to the rails BEFORE you secure the seats to the side mounts. Yes this really is the worst part. I put the rails in the car with the side mounts loose and then took some measurements to see where they needed to be tightened down as some seats will have different width and length adjustments.
18. (OPTIONAL) but recommended-Drill 8 additional holes in the rails so each corner of each side bracket has 2 holes that you can fit a allen bolt, washer, and nut through. Basically instead of 4 bolts on each seat holding the rails to it, I have 8 bolts on each seat holding the rails to the side mount brackets.
19. Once you have the side mounts secured to the rails properly, buy some new washers for the Gallardo floor bolts as the factory ones are kind of crushed when the factory puts them in for the OEM seats. I used a couple washers for each floor bolt and then mounted the OEM rails, aftermarket side mount brackets to the floor of the Gallardo.
20. I bought some bolts to mount the seats to the side mount brackets including one longer bolt for the OEM seat belt receptacle to be mounted to one corner on both seats.
21. Plug in the OEM Lamborghini SRS airbag bypass plugs (yellow plugs) Part Number: 403971974B from a 2011 Superleggera with Factory Race Seats. Buy them from Glen at AMH Racing Parts (Thanks Glen!)
22. Mount the seats to the side mounts with the rear bolts first, plug in the OEM seat belt receptacle harness to the floor harness. I actually took up the factory carpet and tied up the extra harness wires I didn’t need except for the seat belt harness. Then mount the front side mounts to the seat. I used a ratcheting box wrench as there is literally no room by the center console to get to this bolt.
23. Pry the lower seat belt plastic clip on the outside of the seat, right behind it. This is the lower mount for the OEM seat belt. 17mm bolt is here, I removed it very carefully as there is again no room and then ran the seat belt through the lower outside opening in my Suede Carbon fiber seats and put the bolt back in the chassis of the car. See pictures to see where the belt is ran, makes it easier to grab the seat belt.
24. Test the seats sliding forward and back several times. I had to raise the front of the seat up one bolt hole on the side mounts to get the factory Recaro rails to release the locks so it can slide back and forth. The rear part of the seat is in the lowest hole in the side mount so it seats 1cm above the floor of the chassis and gives the lowest sitting position possible with lots of head room.
25. I installed a Lamborghini emblem on one seat headrest to see how they looked, and they look really good!

Notes: This was a grueling job trying to figure out some of the little things that came up. I originally purchased some Gallardo specific floor brackets, universal rails, and several sets of side seat mounts to find a way to make this work. The company sold me some brackets that don’t fit and because Recaro made some one-off rails for the Gallardo it was the lesser evil to use the OEM ones then to fabricate pieces for the aftermarket rails.

Now how do you bypass the side airbags in the OEM seats?
Well luckily after reading online I found 2 people that bought the correct bypass plugs from Lambo and solved this issue by buying this for about $100 I believe.

What do you do with OEM seat belt as it requires an intermediate wire harness between the OEM seat and the floor harness?
Remove the wire harness in the seat and just use it to connect everything. No one had a good answer for this except to try and trick the SRS system with some jumpers but I didn’t want to chance it.

I felt like I earned an Engineering batch if there ever was one for finding a way to make these seats work correctly and they are stronger the factory seats are considering these use more bolts holding the seat to the floor brackets/rails than the OEM ones use. It seems much easier after reading my instructions so I hope this saves the next guy some hassle who tried to but seats in his Lamborghini Gallardo.

I saved weight and feel more connected to the car now. Amazing feeling if you like Sport/Race seats!!

*******UPDATED with attached pictures of carbon fiber seats-September 2020

1st set of seats is the original carbon fiber custom seats I did in suede and bolted to the oem seat rails. Very nice but were very tight for people over the medium size.

2nd set of seats is Tillett B1 seats that were much better than the 1st set of seats in terms of comfort even though they had very thin padding. Still tight around my shoulders but doable for 200lb+ guys.

3rd set of seats were by far my favorite and rarest. They were made by Tecnocraft who has since closed their doors and moved to aerospace carbon fiber work. They were just as good quality as tillett but the design was AMAZING for medium/large people around the shoulders and comfortable with NO padding. They are from a Huracan but good example for a gallardo as well. Raw carbon fiber seats and everyone loved them! Custom Lamborghini headrests were made. This Last set is still in my possession and I’m not sure if I’ll ever get rid of them :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sourced the raw carbon fiber seats from someone who made some from them from some Recaro model I believe. Then i sent them to my Automobile Interior shop to wrap them in suede. I've been trying to get some carbon seat shells but probably not unless I get some more people willing to pay for some. Not sure what everyone thinks they are worth honestly but even though I'm not a shop, I might consider doing some more.

On the other hand I've seen status seats in a little different seat shape but I like mine a little better :)

·
Registered
949 Posts
I sourced the raw carbon fiber seats from someone who made some from them from some Recaro model I believe. Then i sent them to my Automobile Interior shop to wrap them in suede. I've been trying to get some carbon seat shells but probably not unless I get some more people willing to pay for some. Not sure what everyone thinks they are worth honestly but even though I'm not a shop, I might consider doing some more.

On the other hand I've seen status seats in a little different seat shape but I like mine a little better :)
Excellent work! I would love to see a set of these available for a group purchase! :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm probably going to do a couple more sets if anyone wants a specific color. I may do some other models of carbon seats that range in width.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I love how they look with the Lamborghini badge embroided :cool:
I sourced the raw carbon fiber seats from someone who made some from them from some Recaro model I believe.
They look like the Recaro Pole Position seats I have in the M3

·
Registered
83 Posts
The seats look great, much better than the OEM ones. I would be interested to know how they compare with the SL seats from Europe and the LP570.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: I'm purchasing some more carbon fiber seats and will probably try a couple different more seats out before I actually keep a set in permantely. If anyone wants these EXACT SEATS, let me know.

I also have an extra set of center seat cushions done in silver cross stitching instead of orange stitching as you see pictured in case you don't have an orange car, these will work great!

Save about 72lbs and preserve your stock seats!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
How much ? :)

Thanks

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PM sent. If anyone else wants them, I'll put a real classified ad once I have them out of the car, until then just message me here. Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
^^ Did not receive anything LamboTT ?!?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hey LamboTT, is there any update on the seats you were manufacturing?
Also if you could get these photos up again it would be really nice - there is no other thread on the subject.

Btw I remove my stock seats and they weigh ~62 lbs each!!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did a couple sets and then sold them.
I'm running some tillett carbon seats at 6.5lbs each right now and the best quality out there.

I had pictures hosted by some site Robert Himler was running and then he closed the site down and the pics disappeared. Sorry guys. I'll post some up again sometime soon.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts