Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m currently in the market for a second gen Gallardo. Accidents and miles don’t scare me too much (unless it’s salvage/lemon/frame damage). I want to drive the car a good amount and plan on getting an inspection. I came across a RWD gallardo for sale with a theft recovery history. How much would theft affect the value of the car? Hypothetically if a clean version of the car is worth $100,000 how much percentage wise would it be depreciated? Thanks

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,087 Posts
Not sure, but great question. I suppose that’s why the ad says “hot car”, “it’s a steal!”, “you can drive it like it’s stolen” and “it’s been lifted“! Haha 🤪

seriously, though, I’m looking forward to the answers to that question.

·
Registered
779 Posts
It depends how it is listed. In some states, if a car is stolen, and recovered, the owner has the option to let Insurance take it. In this situation, it immediately gets a salvage title. One can argue if this sort of salvage title is more or less valuable than a salvage title due to damage, but that is a different discussion.
If the vehicle is stolen, then recovered and the owner keeps it, where is this 'theft recover history' showing up? On a carfax? I'm honestly asking, as I don't know.....I don't think it's a mark on the title, correct? If it is not actually listed on the title, I'd look at it like any other carfax entry.
In any case an interesting question. Lots of variables to consider as well. Typically a car is not cared for well, when stolen. Definitely something to consider.

·
Registered
740 Posts
15% is about right for any accident or theft on record. You can also expect a drop in value if you respray for say rock chips or scratches, but not necessarily 15%. If it's properly documented, etc, 5-10% is standard. The exception are cars that didn't start off as "special exotics" so say an older muscle car, those can get resprayed without affecting value much or even causing value to go up.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'd consider a "stolen/recovered" car same as rebuilt title or salvage title cars. 20% discount minimum for an exotic as far as I'm concerned (as expensive as replacement parts are concerned there are no "cheap" Lamborghinis. You either pay up front or down the road).

We buy the previous owner as much as we buy the car (service history, care, etc.). A stolen car is likely driven VERY hard. Hence the "drive it like you stole it" saying :)

Case in point:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Im curious about this also. Im in the market for a Murci LP640 and im surprised at how many cars (at least murcis) that have something about theft on thier carfax reports. So far ive looked at 2 cars, both have clean titles, but if you look thru the carfax reports each one had a theft reported. Sometimes Im thinking this is a mistake because one car showed a theft but then according to the carfax and the miles it showed that it was serviced at a dealer and then recovered. As if the people who stole the car took it for service. Thats the reason why I think some could be mistakes. I backed out on two murcis so far because there was theft reported even tho both cars had clear titles. Im looking at another murci that is for sale right now and coincidentally, it too has some sort of theft reported on carfax but is a clear title car. Im wondering if I can use this to my advantage during negotiations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts