Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Aventador S
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my first scary encounter today in the AV. Was headed to a friend's house to show her kids the car, and some yokel in a Charger starts following me, window down, cell phone pointed out the window. I've had this before, I just slow down and tried to let him pass. But no matter how slow I went, he kept following me. He clearly isn't watching the road, he's intent on getting as close as he can to me. I eventually exited the freeway, he exits as well. Still following close. I've done nothing to this person. I pull over well before my turn, I don't want him following me to my friend's home. He pulls in front of me, gets out of his car. Thankfully there's a hole in traffic that allows me to jump back in before he can get back in his car to follow me. I pull into an alley and wait a bit just to make sure he is gone.

If you're wondering why I didn't get out and good naturedly let him tour the car, you did not see how aggressively this guy was driving in heavy traffic. I was not driving aggressively, I just wanted to be away from him. I searched for nearby police stations at a light we were stopped at and none were close.

How do you handle this sort of thing? I do not want any confrontations. I carry but that is the absolute last thing I want to resort to, especially since it's likely just some over-excited fanboy. It just really freaked me out, as this guy seemed pretty unhinged. Maybe exit, find somewhere with people and cameras like a gas station and call the police? What if there's nothing nearby? Anybody dealt with something similar?

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
18,758 Posts
In a situation like that I would just have to play it by ear. I have no idea what I do but I would do everything I could to avoid confrontation. I’ve had some close encounters but never any like yours. I did have a guy follow me the other day for quite some time and finally I allowed him to get next to me and I rolled my window down and gave him the shaka sign and all he wanted me to do was give it some revs.

Reactions: Booth9999 and BRU

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in between cars now, but when I had my Gallardo I got followed home at least twice. I wasn't entirely sure the first time I was being followed because sometimes people have similar travel destinations. It wasn't until I parked in my garage and the guy was sitting outside my house watching that I realized what had happened. Without hesitation, and this was stupid on my part, I walked over to the guy's car to see why the hell he's following me and sitting outside of my house and he took off down the street. Only twice was I legitimately followed home, but twice is twice too much. I would get followed in traffic and have people flip me off and yell at me telling me they hoped I'd wreck it and die....you know, the typical stuff. haha. I live in Las Vegas where many folks are filled with hate; this is not a friendly city. Best advice I can give you is to ALWAYS be vigilante and drive 2x as safe as everyone else on the road. I hope this never happens to you again because it is indeed scary, but with with such a SICKKKKK car as an AV there's definitely a big possibility. Stay safe and enjoy that beauty.

-TJ

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Its mellow where I live. One morning going to work I got followed by a pickup with 4 samoans in the bed weighing 250-300 lbs each. I rolled down the window and they wanted me to rev the engine at the stoplight. When the Prius behind me beeped the horn, the 4 Samoans told him to shut the f-ck up. I was laughing so hard made my day.

I got followed by 2 teenagers in an M3 home to my house. They gave me the thumbs up then peeled out. Turns out they lived right around the corner. All good cooler heads prevail.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It happened to me a few times. I usually just slow down, roll my window down and give them the thumbs up. Almost everyone at that point just say something like nice car or do you wanna race and I just smile and tell them no ( I am good man ) and move on. Most people calm down from that little interaction. I think it gets worse if you try to avoid them. People see a cool car and they just want to associate with you for few secs. If you do not answer and ignore them then they get all butt hurt and crazy in my opinion.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Drop a gear & 🏎 💨 Leave them in the dust 😆. On a more serious note on the road play it by ear, usually if there is a thumbs up and smiles all is well few revs or a 2 second pull will make their day and everyone is happy. Then there is the idiot in the Kia Sorento yesterday that is swerving between cars at 120+ to catch up while I'm just cruising with traffic, those people slow lane and lots of distance/space so you can avoid.

For going home, I overshot my house in the neighborhood so that you have to loop back. You would never "normally" go that direction, so if someone is behind me its obvious that they are following, then I just jump back on the road for a quick highway lap.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
10,709 Posts
I had a problem when I had my 3RS. A driver was following me for over a mile and a half and kept zooming up on my rear bumper. I was headed toward the freeway entered the freeway then accelerated to put some distance between us and then the twit entered the freeway and weaved between several cars came real close to the drivers side of the car and then cut me off. I just slowed down and pulled into the right lane until that rocket scientist, no more like a bottle rocket goof, went on ahead. I think he was jealous and pissed that I was driving a LG 3RS that and he wanted to impress me with his superior driving skills as if to say he didn't need a Porsche to out drive me. I can only imagine what his life is like and it's not a pretty picture.

Reactions: BRU

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
10,709 Posts
You did alright. Carry, stay calm, and go to a public area. It happened to me weekly in my Huracan and I found if you make eye contact and wave, they back off.
Carry.....my wife and I do but in this day and age the criminal is the victim and the victim is the criminal.

·
Premium Member
18,758 Posts
It happened to me a few times. I usually just slow down, roll my window down and give them the thumbs up. Almost everyone at that point just say something like nice car or do you wanna race and I just smile and tell them no ( I am good man ) and move on. Most people calm down from that little interaction. I think it gets worse if you try to avoid them. People see a cool car and they just want to associate with you for few secs. If you do not answer and ignore them then they get all butt hurt and crazy in my opinion.
You are absolutely correct! If you try to ignore them they assume you are rich SOB who thinks they are not worth acknowledging. I go the extra distance to be friendly and let them know I am just a regular guy who just happens to be fortunate enough to own the car of his dreams.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I had a guy that did a U-turn and then followed me for a while. Pulling into my neighborhood I made a few turns to confirm he was in fact following me. I pulled over in front of a different house and it was enough to get the follower to move along. Glad they didn't know where I live, not a fun experience.

I've had the wannabe racers aggressively follow me too, and a thumbs up seems to go a long way in those situations to diffuse things as they are trying to race you or get a closer look.

·
Premium Member
Aventador Roadster Extreme Edition, Huracan Performante, Gallardo Performante
2,257 Posts
This has happened to me a few times. Drivers were just as nutty as yours. It's nerve racking and requires some strategic maneuvering. If I'm on the freeway, the key is to get them jammed in the left lane while you're in the right ready for quick exit bank off:

So If they are following me while I'm in the right, then I'll increase speed till I get close to the next car up in the right lane and trail it till the next exit. Once I see the exit coming up, I'll drop a gear and do a quick pass of the car ahead. (dropping the gear with the exhaust in corsa always gets these nuckleheads testerone stirred up), and they will floor the car to catch up. Once you pass the car ahead, get back in the right lane right in front of the car you passed and slow up to close the gap between you. As your follower is speeding in the left to catch up, you break off in the exit that was coming up right at the last point of no return. He can not break off with you because he passed the exit while trying to pass the car you just passed. Or he did the pass the car but stayed beside you in the left to gloat that he caught you so quick. Regardless, you got him in the left and banked out before he could adapt. And no he can't slow up and exit because you didn't give him any wiggle room to do that. This has worked for me EVERY time.

Now there are different ways to accomplish this but the general task is the same....get him in the left lane and off your rear tail.

Reactions: AzusilApps and BRU

·
Registered
2017 Aventador S
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is all great advice, thanks everyone. I will try the window down, thumbs up and wave. I've just never encountered someone who would put everyone in significant danger just for a cell phone video, but I guess I need to get used to it.

·
Registered
2017 Aventador S
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This has happened to me a few times. Drivers were just as nutty as yours. It's nerve racking and requires some strategic maneuvering. If I'm on the freeway, the key is to get them jammed in the left lane while you're in the right ready for quick exit bank off:

So If they are following me while I'm in the right, then I'll increase speed till I get close to the next car up in the right lane and trail it till the next exit. Once I see the exit coming up, I'll drop a gear and do a quick pass of the car ahead. (dropping the gear with the exhaust in corsa always gets these nuckleheads testerone stirred up), and they will floor the car to catch up. Once you pass the car ahead, get back in the right lane right in front of the car you passed and slow up to close the gap between you. As your follower is speeding in the left to catch up, you break off in the exit that was coming up right at the last point of no return. He can not break off with you because he passed the exit while trying to pass the car you just passed. Or he did the pass the car but stayed beside you in the left to gloat that he caught you so quick. Regardless, you got him in the left and banked out before he could adapt. And no he can't slow up and exit because you didn't give him any wiggle room to do that. This has worked for me EVERY time.

Now there are different ways to accomplish this but the general task is the same....get him in the left lane and off your rear tail.
Wish I'd thought of that while I was driving, I was freaking out a bit and not thinking straight. Solid plan for freeway nuts.

·
Premium Member
18,758 Posts
This is all great advice, thanks everyone. I will try the window down, thumbs up and wave. I've just never encountered someone who would put everyone in significant danger just for a cell phone video, but I guess I need to get used to it.
These cars bring out the best and the worst in people. I think just trying to be thoughtful and friendly is the best defense.

·
Premium Member
Aventador Roadster Extreme Edition, Huracan Performante, Gallardo Performante
2,257 Posts
These cars bring out the best and the worst in people. I think just trying to be thoughtful and friendly is the best defense.
Over the years, I've learned to use this last (but I believe this to be an area related adaptation). See in my area, if I let the window down to do thumbs up, the other car's passenger/driver will request that I pull over for them to look and even sit in the car. It backfired on me several times putting me in a position where "no" was not an option.

But like I said, this could be area related as I live in Mississippi. Where you guys live, the thumbs up method is probably best as first option.

·
Premium Member
18,758 Posts
Over the years, I've learned to use this last (but I believe this to be an area related adaptation). See in my area, if I let the window down to do thumbs up, the other car's passenger/driver will request that I pull over for them to look and even sit in the car. It backfired on me several times putting me in a position where "no" was not an option.

But like I said, this could be area related as I live in Mississippi. Where you guys live, the thumbs up method is probably best as first option.
People here are not that aggressive with a very few exceptions. I think the Locals are all pretty friendly as long as you are respectful. Respect is huge with the local population as it should be. I do agree, you need to always expect the unexpected and be ready to adapt.

Reactions: BRU and Kratos

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
10,709 Posts
These cars bring out the best and the worst in people.
Not a problem my Huracan can only bring out one side in me, having only one side.........the best. We need to formulate a spray for our Lamborghinis' "Moron Repellent", and if we did we would make a fortune.

Reactions: BRU and Kratos
1 - 20 of 66 Posts