Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im relatively new to the car world, so i was wondering why is it that a V10 TT engine in a Gallardo ( stock 560 HP ) has up to 1500 WHP, bot a V12 TT Murcielago (stock 640 HP ) can only go up to 1200 WHP?

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I would go with Gvan's response ;) Just saying.

I actually learned something new from this thread :) I never understood that either. Can you explain somewhat specifically what goes into making the G's V10 able to take more punishment?

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
I'm not ultra familiar with either the V12 internals, or the turbo setup Heffner and UGR are using. At 300HP/L on their 1500HP cars that is some pretty significant turbocharging. Even 200HP/L is a lot.

Also, I think on their very high HP Gallardo engines there's been a LOT of changes to the engine internals, possibly more than on the rarer Murcielago turbo jobs. The G's engine is also a very modern design with head co-developed by Cosworth, whereas the V12 has essentially been around for decades.

I'm just speculating here, there are loads of factors. [email protected] or one of the UGR guys probably has way more insight. One of my favourite examples is the old 1.8T turbo Audi engines. The first few years they made these they just recycled the cast-iron block from their 1.9TDi engines. These could be boosted to 650+HP. A few years later they started using lightweight aluminium blocks the safe limit was around 350hp. Those cast iron blocks were designed for 25:1 diesel compression ratios so they were tough as hell.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
107 Posts
Could also simply come down to R&D.. How many TT G's are running around compared to TT Murci's? Tuners with more G builds are fine tuning their products....
Just one more variable to consider......

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Actually turbocharging does not add much load to the reciprocating components, since the combustion pressure is being countered by the inertia of the piston-connecting rod assembly.

If somebody had the guts to apply the same boost pressure and fuel type to a Murcie (as a 1500HP Gallardo) it may very well hold up and in that case produce even more horsepower, namely by the ratio of the displacement. But who has the guts to go there.

Also, the Murcie owners I have met appear to be more settled (less aggressive) than the Gallardo owners and therefore don’t “push the envelope” too much.

Maybe 5 years ago you could ask: “How come the Supra “routinely” can generate 1200HP with a 3L engine and the Gallardo only 800HP with a 5L engine”?

From an engineering standpoint I am impressed that Audi/Lamborghini has build in so much structural overhead, that the power can be almost tripled with relatively simple means.

Laust

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
I'd agree on the harmonics side of things, but I'm thinking tripling the energy coming from each combustion, effectively tripling the torque, has to increase the load on the components. Granted it'll be less than linear because of the reciprocating nature of the assembly but I'm pretty sure for $75,000 you get some significant engine modifications. Those conrods have to carry that extra force down to the shaft, and it has to cope with it without flexing too much, then there,s the added stresses on the cylinder walls and the heads having to cope with far more combustion pressure too...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts