Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am currently in the market for a second generation Gallardo. I've been looking for the past year and unfortunately missed a couple excellent deals by hours. I ran across this 2009 LP-560-4 coupe today. It has 50,349 miles, no accidents, and a whopping 10 owners. It was not serviced at Lamborghini dealerships except for in 2017 at Motorcars of Atlanta. It was serviced at various Audi, Porsche, and independent shops. I spoke to the owner at the last shop it was serviced at, German Motorworks in Nashville. The clutch was replaced in 2018 (10,000 miles ago) and it was last serviced 2 years and 5,000 miles ago in March of 2019. Oil was changed, however, no mention of spark plugs or fluid flush. German motorworks does have a LARA computer and are able to do clutch snaps. If I go ahead with the purchase I was planning on getting a PPI from them. The dealer is asking $90,000. Is this an acceptable price or would I be pushing my luck asking for 82,500? My main concerns are the clutch, the number of owners, and whether the postponed maintenance/lack of maintenance at actual dealers could lead to underlying issues. I know the clutch in LP gallardo's last longer than first generation, however, it's possible the last owner really pushed the car in the 10,000 miles since they changed the clutch and there isn't much life left. My plan would be to keep the Gallardo for 2-3 years (put on 5-10k miles) and then possibly trade it in for a Huracan. Any suggestions and input would be greatly appreciated. I can also post the link to the vehicle if requested. Thanks for your help.

Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
Any chance you could go directly to a Huracan now? Kind of a measure twice cut once philosophy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any chance you could go directly to a Huracan now? Kind of a measure twice cut once philosophy.
I could, but I would be much more comfortable financially speaking spending $100k on a car than $180,000+. It's not that I couldn't afford a used Huracan or potentially a new one, but this is my first car purchase of this level and I'd like to ease myself in rather if that makes sense.

Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
I could, but I would be much more comfortable financially speaking spending $100k on a car than $180,000+. It's not that I couldn't afford a used Huracan or potentially a new one, but this is my first car purchase of this level and I'd like to ease myself in rather if that makes sense.
Do what makes you comfortable but what I have seen repeatedly in the supercar arena is people take the loss while upgrading because they didn't buy the car they preferred/desired.
Though, stay centered in your comfort zone......I will bow out and let some of our more learned members comment so you get the information you need. Best of luck!

Registered
10 owners doesn't factor into the value. The mileage does. It's unlikely the PO could have messed up the clutch in 10k miles, but as I always say when buying a G, set aside $10k and just assume you'll HAVE to do the clutch.

As far as pricing, 90k would be on the very upper end of what I'd pay, but realistically, anything less than that would be a good price, like 85-89k. 82k is very unlikely.

That said, I KNEW I wanted an preLP and never had any intention to upgrade to an H. (By the time I'm ready for a non-visceral fast car, I'll probably just get an electric and call it a day). However, since you want to upgrade to one and you'll be putting 5-10k on this, which would make it a 60k mile car in 2-3 years... I'm going to say, assuming you don't put a new clutch in, you're going to take a 25k loss on the car (after taxes, etc). Personally, I'd just hold off and get the H in 2-3 years.

Registered
Honestly, that sounds pretty fair to me. Personally, I didn't want a H, and like InfiniteLoop I went for the pre-lp on purpose. Not sure why you want the LP, but you could get a pre-lp for the same price with 1/2 the miles and get the better sound.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
10 owners doesn't factor into the value. The mileage does. It's unlikely the PO could have messed up the clutch in 10k miles, but as I always say when buying a G, set aside $10k and just assume you'll HAVE to do the clutch.

As far as pricing, 90k would be on the very upper end of what I'd pay, but realistically, anything less than that would be a good price, like 85-89k. 82k is very unlikely.

That said, I KNEW I wanted an preLP and never had any intention to upgrade to an H. (By the time I'm ready for a non-visceral fast car, I'll probably just get an electric and call it a day). However, since you want to upgrade to one and you'll be putting 5-10k on this, which would make it a 60k mile car in 2-3 years... I'm going to say, assuming you don't put a new clutch in, you're going to take a 25k loss on the car (after taxes, etc). Personally, I'd just hold off and get the H in 2-3 years.
Do what makes you comfortable but what I have seen repeatedly in the supercar arena is people take the loss while upgrading because they didn't buy the car they preferred/desired.
Though, stay centered in your comfort zone......I will bow out and let some of our more learned members comment so you get the information you need. Best of luck!
This is a good point, I will keep this in mind.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

25K is a lot. I might just hold off and get the Huracan. My thought process was the Huracans would go down quite a bit in the next 2-3 years as well because of how many they have made. Do you think that'd be enough to offset the loss on the Gallardo?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honestly, that sounds pretty fair to me. Personally, I didn't want a H, and like InfiniteLoop I went for the pre-lp on purpose. Not sure why you want the LP, but you could get a pre-lp for the same price with 1/2 the miles and get the better sound.
From what understand, the LPs are a little more reliable with longer lasting clutches. I could be completely wrong though. I also prefer how they look over pre-lp, however, the pre-lps sound amazing, you are correct about that.

Registered
25K is a lot. I might just hold off and get the Huracan. My thought process was the Huracans would go down quite a bit in the next 2-3 years as well because of how many they have made. Do you think that'd be enough to offset the loss on the Gallardo?
In reality, the depreciation will probably be more than that since LPs are still depreciating. preLPs hit the bottom of their curve a couple of years ago and we're seeing them going up now or the like. That also assumes no service/repair or clutch issues. At 50k, you'll probably need at least 1 "big" service (3k) plus that clutch can always go. You'll also have to be on the lookout for carbon build up on the LP engines. (The H takes care of that by adding direct AND port injection).

The H will definitely continue to go down in in price. Not sure by how much, but eventually, they too will be <$100k cars. While people like to quote that the higher prod numbers affect pricing, there are also more people out there, every day, that can afford these cars (population goes up, people climb income ladder over the years or are just getting older so have more fun money to spend), so that means more people can afford these cars, which in turn causes their prices to not drop as much.

That said, I wouldn't base your purchase on what could be. Factor in your age, point in life, etc and then decide what they are worth to you. One could say, 25k over 3 years is NOTHING in depreciation. You could buy a Mazda SUV that would depreciate 25k in 3 years. So what would you rather be driving, lol?

Best bang for your buck would be a preLP though (and honestly, we'll probably see those rise in value over the years, as folks start to crave that visceral experience... plus for 55k a Tesla Model 3 would pretty easily keep up with and beat Gs and Hs... so we can see what the direction the world is going to).

Registered
$90k for an LP car is bottom of the market for clear title cars. A lot of guys with PreLp cars will tell you to go that route but the fact of the matter is, drive both and at the same price, you will choose the LP 10 times out of 10 times. Maintenance costs are lower, its a lot faster, and looks way better. No one in the history of the universe has ever converted an LP to look like a PreLP....the opposite definitely cannot be said as many pay tens of thousands to do the front and rear conversion on a PreLp. There is a reason LP cars command higher prices. LP buyers obviously could have spent less and gotten a PreLP, again, vice versa could not be said

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In reality, the depreciation will probably be more than that since LPs are still depreciating. preLPs hit the bottom of their curve a couple of years ago and we're seeing them going up now or the like. That also assumes no service/repair or clutch issues. At 50k, you'll probably need at least 1 "big" service (3k) plus that clutch can always go. You'll also have to be on the lookout for carbon build up on the LP engines. (The H takes care of that by adding direct AND port injection).

The H will definitely continue to go down in in price. Not sure by how much, but eventually, they too will be <$100k cars. While people like to quote that the higher prod numbers affect pricing, there are also more people out there, every day, that can afford these cars (population goes up, people climb income ladder over the years or are just getting older so have more fun money to spend), so that means more people can afford these cars, which in turn causes their prices to not drop as much.

That said, I wouldn't base your purchase on what could be. Factor in your age, point in life, etc and then decide what they are worth to you. One could say, 25k over 3 years is NOTHING in depreciation. You could buy a Mazda SUV that would depreciate 25k in 3 years. So what would you rather be driving, lol?

Best bang for your buck would be a preLP though (and honestly, we'll probably see those rise in value over the years, as folks start to crave that visceral experience... plus for 55k a Tesla Model 3 would pretty easily keep up with and beat Gs and Hs... so we can see what the direction the world is going to).
Ironically I already have a model 3 performance as a daily haha. It pulls in a straight line and autopilot is nice for highway driving, but an electric car simply isn't the same. Personally, I'm not very interested in a pre-LP so it's between LP gallardo now, risk the depreciation and maintenance and then trade it in for a Huracan or wait another couple years and buy a huracan then. I do appreciate the response though, gives me a lot to think about.

Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
Hello everyone,

My plan would be to keep the Gallardo for 2-3 years (put on 5-10k miles) and then possibly trade it in for a Huracan. This is my first car purchase of this level and I'd like to ease myself in rather if that makes sense. .
I shared these thoughts Exactly, maybe even 4 years.... but I think I found myself a decent deal because I personally Love Dark Blue and I found one. I don't think the Mercedes dealer I bought it from did a very good job at advertising it because I didn't see it anywhere other than on Facebook marketplace. So search EVERYWHERE. 2011 LP560 Spyder that just now turned 20k in my hands for $105..... they didn't have the tools to do the clutch snap they said, but I don't care. The car is immaculate and came with all the tools, mats, cover, new white gloves in the tire kit, etc.... and I was a Ford Dealer Tech (sorry, I was a kid) for 12 years so I buy the parts and the rest is me. I put a clutch in my Carrera C2S because the pressure plate broke at 17k miles = $600 job ......... I think depreciation of these cars might be done, or close to it. Think of what's going to happen when both Lamborghini and Ferrari will be building nothing but Hybrid cars by 2025 !! We might just want to keep these things
OR, am I totally wrong and everyone will look at us like we're criminals polluting the highways. Our exclusively gas-powered polluters will become worthless ! ??

Reactions: Pilotgirl59

Registered
$90k for an LP car is bottom of the market for clear title cars. A lot of guys with PreLp cars will tell you to go that route but the fact of the matter is, drive both and at the same price, you will choose the LP 10 times out of 10 times. Maintenance costs are lower, its a lot faster, and looks way better. No one in the history of the universe has ever converted an LP to look like a PreLP....the opposite definitely cannot be said as many pay tens of thousands to do the front and rear conversion on a PreLp. There is a reason LP cars command higher prices. LP buyers obviously could have spent less and gotten a PreLP, again, vice versa could not be said
Haha I鈥檓 just the idiot that decided preLP cuz of the sound. All your points are valid. Just couldn鈥檛 get over the sound!

Registered
Not an idiot at all, I had a gated 05 with LOC exhaust that sounded killer and I admit, they sound better than the LP, but the LP still sounds amazing compared to most cars. Im not knocking the PreLp at all....just the price premium for an LP car is well worth it to me and most people, as reflected with resale values. The looming potential(albeit still fairly rare) of a $50k plus repair for a bad motor on a PreLp scares me from buying one again

Registered
2013 LP560 TT
Relatively new Gallardo owner here but I can say this: owning a Gallardo now is better than waiting. There is no 鈥渓oss鈥 when you factor in the pleasure of driving a Lamborghini for the next 3-4yrs. You may or may not want to upgrade to a Huracan in the future, who knows what your tastes will be?
Sure you can wait out the Huracan depreciation curve, but I can guarantee that you will get absolutely no fun out of a Lamborghini over the next few years if you just sit it out and don鈥檛 get one now.
My own philosophy is that you should get tremendous utility (fun) out of cars like these and not try to figure out how to make it financially neutral / positive. Just enjoy it, be thankful you are one of the few that can get one, and drive the hell out of it like it was designed to be used.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts