Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just starting to research purchasing our first Lamborghini... a year ago, my wife found herself in intensive care, where they diagnosed a malignant tumor on her bowel. Fortunately it was operable, and it was successfully removed, and she is now on long term drug therapy similar to the drugs the use for Leukemia treatment. Her oncologist says with the drugs, she still has a 50/50 chance it will return, but without it's a 90% chance!
Obviously, this has altered her whole outlook on life, and our retirement plans are now becoming her living plans!
Owning a Lamborghini has been one of her dreams since I first met her, and now she is pursuing it with a passion. I'm working to free up some cash, and beginning to research... I figure I can invest some retirement money now, and can recoup most of later... whatever the gap, it's worth it to see her smile! (She's 43 and I'm 61 and we live in Los Angeles)
I'm thinking I'll pay cash, I hate leasing vehicles.
The most exotic cars we've owned before are an Audi S5 convertible, and my current Mustang GT California Special, so this is a bit of a stretch! She wants a soft top, in a bright color... where we differ in opinion is that she would prefer a late model base model, while I think she'd get a hoot and get decent value from mid/late 2000's model. I am probably looking to spend around $200K or so, allowing for tax and insurance on top of that. But I know that's going to go out the window as soon as she sees the one she "wants"!
I'm guessing she's going to put a few more miles on it than the typical collector vehicle, which is another consideration for what to buy, maintenance considerations and insurance!
I'm still researching, so I'm really pleased to receive any tips or advice!
Looking forward to learning more and sharing the journey!
Tim.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Welcome! With 200k to spend go with a Huracan spider, this will be the easiest to drive, cheap to maintain and the most reliable option. Hard to tell what values will do but even if you put a decent amount of miles on it your depreciation will not be too severe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. That makes sense... though I never would have considered seeing the term "cheap to maintain" being used too much here, so I'm really encouraged, but tempering that encouragement with a degree of "it's all relative!"
Still researching the potential risks and pitfalls, but I'm now starting to get interested now that I've emotionally committed the investment!

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,484 Posts
Huracan Spyder is not a bad call but so would a Murcialago Roadster. Depending on the year and the condition, it would potentially be cheaper than the Huracan and at this point not going to depreciate much at all, and likely appreciate. Sorry to hear of her cancer, but good they caught it early. Scares like that can have profound effects on people.

·
Registered
527 Posts
A thing you have to look at is the "total amount of money lost due to depreciation" - I demonstrated this on another thread which I think is VERY relevant to you: I live in Australia but I'm sure you see what I'm getting at. My 2016 AV roadster cost $A570K (stay with me on this I know you only want to spend $200k ish). Now if something happened and I needed the money FAST - I know I could $450k TOMORRO.> I mean I bought a "good deal" so why wouldn't someone else want a "super good deal" or maybe just sell it to a dealer. The point is this : My "risk" is $A120k. so I say to you...... do the math, you will find the "risk" is quite reasonable especially seeing your wife's medical condition. Sure you could your $US200k in the bank or stock market to "maybe" get a return on it but you might also lose more than the "forced sale" price anyhow? Just my 2 cents worth. Ed Burton (Australia)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Personally, I would buy something at the bottom of the depreciation curve. That way you don't have to worry about how to find that extra money for retirement. But that's just me personally.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wife - best of luck on the recovery.

I would buy the most reliable car possible. If you buy a Murci Roadster and then something breaks and you wait 3 months for parts you might have avoided depreciation, but you received a headache when time might end up being the most finite resource. Get a warrantied Huracan spider and don't think twice about the money, life is finite.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
17,471 Posts
Welcome Tim, good luck with your journey. My best to you and your wife.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,503 Posts
Hello & Welcome! Firstly I am truly sorry to hear about your wife's medical diagnosis that must be a great burden for the both of you.
Reliability and problem free fun is my priority so in that vain Huracan, Huracan and Huracan.

·
Vendor
142 Posts
Welcome Tim - I'm in the exact same boat and live every day to its fullest! From my perspective I have to say - way to go in supporting your wife and pursuing her dream car, that right there is a great husband!

This forum is the best place for information and help in finding that special car. Goodluck with the purchase of whichever car you get, and please don't forget to post photos :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone for both your wishes and your advice...

On the wishes side, it certainly does make you stop and think about living your life a little more... I'm now having trouble keeping up with my wife!!! She has a positive attitude, and so far has remained clear.

On the advice side, there are a couple of common threads, and as always, there are a few different opinions and different ways of viewing the same problem... each offers a valuable perspective. I suspect that we'll end up finding something that's tempting, and making a judgement call on which way we should go... but the perspectives that everyone has provided here help educate and inform, and for that I am truly appreciative.

I'm sure I'm going to have lots more questions, and be spending lots more time browsing and learning, and I am already sensing a great community spirit in this forum!

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,503 Posts
Forum members out on the west coast please chime in. Any Lamborghini Dealership recommendations for Tim and his lovely wife?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also interested in advice/comments/risks/pitfalls/benefits on buying out of state?
I know there's no tax benefit, and a little more complexity in the paperwork, but with a limited pool of inventory, it has to be an option? Assume all vehicles are built and imported to meet California emissions standards (?), but are there any risks of mods being commonly performed that compromise that etc?

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,503 Posts
Tim I purchased two Huracans out of state both from the Charlotte Dealership and I reside in Texas. I purchased a 2019 580-2 then traded that back to said dealership for a new 2021 EVO RWD. I had a good experiences both times and although I purchased both sight unseen there were no surprises. The documents were pretty easy and much like buying anything at a distance. They sent the documents to me FedEx with a FedEx envelope to return the signed documents back to the dealership (completed same day X2). In both cases since it was an out of state purchase I had to have the car inspected locally. In the case of the 2019 580-2 it arrived on the 13th of July I took it within 30 minutes of delivery and had it inspected then that afternoon completed the registration at the DMV, and since I had a set of plates already I had permanent plates that day as well. With the new EVO it was a little more involved but only a very little. In the case of a new car purchase they could not send me the paperwork it had to be sent directly to the DMV. So the new EVO was delivered on a Saturday I had it inspected on Monday and by Tuesday afternoon the documents arrived at the DMV and again I registered the vehicle and transferred the plates from the 580 to the EVO. So again, my new EVO arrived Saturday the 2nd of January and by Tuesday the 5th of January it was inspected, registered, and plated.
My experience with Lamborghini dealerships is their straight shooters so in most cases they will tell you what if any mods the car has and then it's your call. Of course, as we all say on this forum trust and verify. ALWAYS get a PPI..........no exceptions and you should do just fine. To be honest, it was some of the easiest car purchases I have ever made. One other thing the dealership indicated in the case of the 580-2 they would have been willing to fly me out to see said car but with COVID and all would not have been interested. In addition, I spoke with the manager and asked if the vehicle arrives and I am not happy what then, and his response "we would simply unwind the deal".
One word of advice be detailed and ask the same questions over and over to verify things don't get missed......I make endless lists and then go through them several times so there is a meeting of the minds, so to speak. Best of Luck with the hunt!

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,503 Posts
Tim one more thing, if the Lamborghini you buy does not have a PPF and you want one DON'T have the dealership do it. It's (almost) axiomatic that dealership PPF installers do subpar work. If you want a PPF and your vehicle doesn't have one find a talented local vendor/technician to do the installation with good reviews and recommendations.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tim one more thing, if the Lamborghini you buy does not have a PPF and you want one DON'T have the dealership do it. It's (almost) axiomatic that dealership PPF installers do subpar work. If you want a PPF and your vehicle doesn't have one find a talented local vendor/technician to do the installation with good reviews and recommendations.
Great to know, thanks. Really appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Tim!

sorry to hear about your wife. I am glad you guys are pushing forward with your dreams! I purchased my Lamborghini from Ogara Beverly Hills and had a great experience. As others have mentioned, a Huracan spyder is the way to go - don’t overthink it. I don’t see anything in stock that fits your criteria but if you call them and let them know what you want, I am sure they will keep a lookout for you.
Best of luck and keep us updated!

Anuj

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.