Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone could help me on this topic. I've always loved Lamborghinis and will someday own a 6.0. During my days in lectures (LOL) I sometimes create drawings of Lamborghinin, based on the Diablo and Murcielago concept. Now I would love to put it up for all to see so I can get some input, but I have a couple of questions before I do so.

1. I want to sumbit my drawings to Lamborghini, how should I go about protecting my drawing ideas so Lamborghini doesnt "borrow" them?

2. Will I run into any problems if I post them on the site?

Thanks in advance, and as always your advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I guess you could get the drawing patented if they dont resemble the real thing too much. Although I dont get why you would send them to lamborghini in the first place, are you looking for a job there?

And yes, of coure you can post them here, you created them, the copyright belongs to you.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
DaLamboMan is right. As long as you created them you are the owner of the copywrite. Your best bet is to post them here first. This will show the date that you have created them. Then send to Lamborghini if you'd like. If they "stole" your idea they would have to prove that they developed them before the date you created or posted them. I will tell you that Lamborghini more than likely gets stacks of drawings in the form of resumes. Therefore, getting a response is very unlikely. But by all means give it a shot, you have nothing to lose.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
First, if you think that they are worth something of real value to someone ($$$$$$) get a lawyer to protect them the proper way. However, many countries don't honor international patents. Germany is one of them. They regularly steal machine equipment designs and computer software designs from Japan all the time. I know because this is what I do. I have a German made machine that is run by software made in Japan. They didn't even hid it, just made it so you can read and operate it. You see Japanese engineering in German cars all the time. Components, small things that the consumer doesn't really see. They won't admit it though. However, to their credit, some of the items they copy are re-designed and made much better.

So, do you think that Audi, a German company will give you any credit...I don't think so.

Further, I also know for a fact that Lamborghini does not accept any outside designs as a company policy unless they are contracted with well know designers. Too risky in business to do this. Many established companies in the world also have this policy. It protects them when they steal something.

If your designs are that good, and you have a dream to see them manufactured, you would be better off with a smaller independent company that may purchase them from you. Or you could always build it yourself for $10,000,000. :eek:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice so far. I'll look into, however this process sounds very expensive. I just want to protect my drawings so no one can copy it.

And in terms of building this dream car, I think I would be better off buying a 6.0 and just changing the outside shell, still costly, but probably less expensive than building it from sratch.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was wondering...does this site have any protection rights. So if any visitor posts a picture it cant be reproduced without the owners consent, reguardless if they have a patent or not?

·
Registered
959 Posts
lamborghinievoluzione said:
I was wondering...does this site have any protection rights. So if any visitor posts a picture it cant be reproduced without the owners consent, reguardless if they have a patent or not?
Of course people will always be able to save and copy the pics as much as they want. I personally wouldnt be to freaked out by this. Nice way to prevent this though:

If you have photoshop

1. Open picture
2. Write you text (your name, copyright. Make it as big as it will fit)
3. Go to layer opacity in the lower right and set it to 35%

You will still see the image behind the text, and now people cant pass it off as theirs :D

If you dont have photoshop

Step 1.

Download Picture-shark from here http://www.picture-shark.com/setup.exe

Step 2.
Install picture-shark.

Step 3.
Open picture-shark and select the directory where images are stored.

Step 4.
Select individual images or all images to watermark.

Step 5.
Click on the "add sel" button.

Step 6.
Click on the "positioning + settings" tab. Load your stamp or feel free to use the one provided by Overgrow.
Click on sample picture to preview the stamped image. You can play with the transparency settings of the stamp to get the look you want. Use the position settings to place the stamp where it can be most effective. Remember, if you place the stamp too far out on the corner of an image, the image itself can be cropped by the theif to remove your watermark. In this sample, I've also used the transparence and feather feature to get my desired watermark. Play with the settings to get the look you want.

Step 7.
Select or create a directory to save your watermarked images. Press start and picture-shark will create a stamped image of your selected files. You can do hundreds of images at once, this software is free and you can find more information at http://www.picture-shark.com

(I personally havent tried this method, but it seems to be pretty popular)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks DaLamboMan!

I think I'll look into. So I think I'll post my drawings in the months ahead. I need to try and make them look a bit more professional even though are just rough sketches. Thanks again to everyone that reply.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to bother you people again. I talked to my business teacher, who happen to be a lawer before, he said having a name and date on my pictures would not be enforcable by law. Once I put it up on the internet, it basically becomes "public property". He mentioned I could look into getting a copyright, but since this was not his expertise, he was not sure if drawings could apply.

My drawings may not hold much of value, but I want to show my love for lamborghinis without someone stealing them.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
>I sometimes create drawings of Lamborghinin, based on the Diablo and >Murcielago concept. Now I would love to put it up for all to see so I can >get some input, but I have a couple of questions before I do so.

>1. I want to sumbit my drawings to Lamborghini, how should I go about >protecting my drawing ideas so Lamborghini doesnt "borrow" them?

I don't think you should worry too much and if they really liked them I am sure they would offer you a job. In term of copyright I suspect that you would have no rights anyway as your work is a derivative of existing Lamborghini designs and are not original. Don't be too precious about your work as I am sure if they are good then you can produce more and make a career out of it - better to be seen and recognised than to hide away worrying about Lamborghini "borrowing" your designs.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Some info above is correct, some is wrong!

First, you can not patent a design. You get an "industrial design" protection through the USPTO. This gives you US protection, but nothing worldwide. Worldwide patents do not really exist, as explained above by a contributor.

Drawings are automatically copyrighted to the owner, but this carries no weight of protection here or anywhere else.

Releasing them here first is foolish, if you want to make some money on them. Great to release them here if you do not. Do you know how many successful people are on the Internet, just looking for ideas. Yes, everyone would like to see them of course if they are good....

Reality check: This is a VERY tough sell. Do you know how many guys like you there are in the world, with great ideas? You need to set up a meeting with Lambo design team, and take a vacation in Italy that you can tax writeoff. You also need a patent lawyer to draft up non-disclosure documents, etc. I know, I am in the "business" of design. Not trying to be mean, but this is reality.

Carbuff

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
There is NO WAY the egos at Lamborghini are going to snag your concept, and even if they did use some portion of it, you'd pay a fortune trying to prove it. Get real and just have fun with it

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
uhmm....lots of good advice so far. I've decided to just post them up. I'm not too worried that Lamborghini will "borrow" the ideas, since they would be creating my dream car. I just need to borrow my friends digi cam. So expect to see some of my work in about a month. Nothing professional but worth a look at.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts