Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon. I’m new to Lamborghini and to forums so please excuse me if I’m not posting in the correct place.
I purchased my Gallardo 2013 LP570-4 spyder. Just got the car and drove for a total of 2hrs. I took it to a car wash (touch less) they pulled the car out and as they were drying it either shut off or they turned it off!? Either way i got in to leave and the car won’t start. I’m fairly sure something got wet. I tried to jump start it and when i looked at the battery compartment it had evidence of water. What should i do ? Thank you in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
time is likely your friend here, let it dry out and hope for the best. Hand wash is best IMHO, machines just rely on too much pressure to clean the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
time is likely your friend here, let it dry out and hope for the best. Hand wash is best IMHO, machines just rely on too much pressure to clean the car.
That was my initial assessment. When i turn the key i hear a click and nothing. All lights turn on so the battery is good.
i really hope it’s nothing serious. Now i have my wife telling me “I told you so” LOL
Had the car a few days and this.
thank you for your response.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Battery can be finicky in a G; you really need a full charge. Also they had a bad ground point that also can have issues. Have you tried a jump, make sure that battery is fully charged, lights on mean very little, you need full amps to turn her over. May want to throw her on a trickle charger just to make sure it is toped off. If not the battery, you just have a wet connector that has to dry off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Battery can be finicky in a G; you really need a full charge. Also they had a bad ground point that also can have issues. Have you tried a jump, make sure that battery is fully charged, lights on mean very little, you need full amps to turn her over. May want to throw her on a trickle charger just to make sure it is toped off. If not the battery, you just have a wet connector that has to dry off.
I did try to jump start it. It has what I would say enough to turn a car over. Then again I know very little. It’s my understanding that the ground issue was pre LP. The car is at the car wash. We are pushing it inside and I guess try it in the am.
just a disappointing situation so early on.
again thank you.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
you will be fine.
Take deep breath
Let the car dry fully.
dry all the ground connections
make sure battery is fully charged
do not take the car to any car wash again.
always take care when washing that you dab water on the car, not force water on the car.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I agree w/ the topcarbon. I would take it a step further and disconnect the battery use a battery brush wire and clean the connections nicely and as he stated make sure all connections are dry. Open the hood and check no water is on the ground connections as well.

Definitely never take it to a car wash again. Spray bottle and microfiber are your friends. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree w/ the topcarbon. I would take it a step further and disconnect the battery use a battery brush wire and clean the connections nicely and as he stated make sure all connections are dry. Open the hood and check no water is on the ground connections as well.

Definitely never take it to a car wash again. Spray bottle and microfiber are your friends. :D
Thank you to all. I’ll let it sit over night. It’s already been in the sun all day. Fingers crossed it should start tomorrow in time for a Sunday cruise.
thanks again guys. Have a good night.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I can’t remember how many “I told you so” I got from my former wife. Tomorrow when you go to your cruise and as you are going on to the freeway or curves back road, show her why your Gallardo is so amazing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can’t remember how many “I told you so” I got from my former wife. Tomorrow when you go to your cruise and as you are going on to the freeway or curves back road, show her why your Gallardo is so amazing
Good morning. Here’s a quick update. I charged the battery this morning and it started right up. I noticed the battery gage on the dash was below 13 and going down. After about 15 minutes of driving i pulled into a parking lot and 2 minutes later it stalled.
can this be the battery? Or is it for sure a bad alternator?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Good morning. Here’s a quick update. I charged the battery this morning and it started right up. I noticed the battery gage on the dash was below 13 and going down. After about 15 minutes of driving i pulled into a parking lot and 2 minutes later it stalled.
Could be either
Since this is a new car to you, battery condition is probably unknown.
I always fix easiest to hardest
Battery is probably bad.

·
Registered
2008 Superleggera
140 Posts
My voltage was acting goofy and I just replaced the voltage regulator, didn't even need to remove the alternator just swapped it out with it still bolted to the car. The old was was missing a little resistor like it had corroded off or something and the brushes were pretty worn, not sure it thats what was causing the issue but haven't had any problems since.

file-1.jpeg

·
Registered
212 Posts
I can probably tell you exactly what it is, but first, and this might not be related, but what is up with that thick red wire? My 04 doesnt have anything running over the battery like that. Any idea if the last owner did some kind of work that maybe wasnt done correctly? I've driven a bunch in the rain and never had issues. Never had water get in there either.

Anyway, someone else had a similar issue. They were hosing off their car and smoke started pouring out of the back. There was a small electrical fire near the alternator. It was the alternator and fusible link that gave up. They wound up replacing the fusible link and the alternator. I'd inspect the link and replace the alternator first. I bought a rebuild one from Rockauto for ~150. Dont buy a used one. New ones dont exist. Part number for my 04: BOSCH AL0715X (Compatible with 1998 Audi A8 3.7L V8, but will fit pre-lp Gallardos)

Its been a while since I changed my alternator, but I believe if you remove the large panel (held on with hex screws, not the phillips screws) in front of the passengers rear wheel, you can see it. I put my phone into video mode, turn on flash, and use that to look around. Either that or jack the car up and get under it.

EDIT: Heres some more info. Also, yes I was right about the fusible link location. You can see the alternator in the below photos. Make sure to click "expand" on the below quotes
EDIT2: I remembered incorrectly on the fusible link - I dont think they had to replace it.
EDIT3: The person who posted the below info is on the main gallardo facebook group under "Dan D'Agostino"

Had a fire of some sort
Wife and I drove to dinner and back. About 6 miles round trip
Pulled back into garage and noticed smoking coming from under car and smell of electrical fire in engine bay passenger side
Pulled out the garden hose and started soaking it
Put on my quick jacks to access from below and can’t pinpoint exactly
Only thing I can seem to see is what is pictured below
But don’t see real evidence of burning
What’s weird hopped in car and had no power with key on
Took battery leads off to inspect the wire I have pictured and then reconnected leads and now I have power but battery won’t even turn car over
Any insight would be awesome

Further investigating
I notice the smell in this tube that goes to the alternator
And the alternator after 30 minutes is still really warm
Also note this was the first time I’ve had
The headlights on
Both heated seats at max
And heater at max and blower at max speed
??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts