Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys need some help here. I was supposed to have some new tyres fitted today (special order from Pirelli) but they didn't arrive. The service centre is now telling me that they should be with us next Tuesday, which leaves me only one day between them being fitted and me leaving for the rally. I'm concerned that they might fail to arrive again and then I'm left in the lurch with only 3mm of tread and a 4k journey ahead of me.

I've spent most of the afternoon speaking to various tyre companies and I'm having no luck. Apparently there is a world wide shortage of this tyre.

Pirelli P Zero Rosso
295, 30, ZR 19's

The biggest mistake is to confuse this size with the one on the new 997 Porsche which shares all the sizes, but is only an N rating and not suitable for speeds over 150mph due to the weight of the G.

Is there anyone here who can suggest a place in the UK. I can get them couriered down to the service centre so literally anywhere on the UK mainland is fine. I'll OWE you one big time!

James

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LTadmin said:
James,

recheck those ratings just in case you find yourself in a bind. I think you will find the rating states not over 150 mph for more than a Half Hour! Which is pretty hard to do most places!!
I think your right about that. Thats a fall back plan if all else fails. Most suppliers dont seem keen on making that call though.

terryjoint said:
James, presume you tried Micheldever ?
Yep they almost laughed at me. Apparently theres a back order since March!

I'm working on a possible solution. Theres a chance i can swap the wheels of their demo car, which as just done under 100 miles on a new set. I should find out in the morning. Fingers crossed!

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
jamesketchell said:
Pirelli P Zero Rosso
295, 30, ZR 19's
You are looking for something like 295 / 30 / ZR 19 100Y ie Y speed for the speed rating extension.

Porsche "approved" tires can carry extra characters like "N1" as in:

295 / 30 / ZR 19 100YN1

The "N" character specifically means that the tire has been tested by and approved by Porsche. The number means the tire has undergone a change and has been retested (ie a sequence number). The characters do not alter the tires speed rating nor are they only approved for Porsches. For your use, the size with or without the "N" is the same tire.

The rating tells you that the tire CAN sustain the speed at the load rating at "normal" temperatures. There is a ~July delivery date on these here in the US.

-mick

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well this story just gets better and better. The wheels i was going to get last week turned out to have gone on another car to a track day demonstration. So they were a right off. I was promised that another set were being shipped to them for Monday. I got the call this morning telling me the good news that the car was ready for collection. I got a friend to drive the 2hour to the dealers (you can see where this story is heading, I bet).

On arrival, I paid for the service and happily drove off in my car, having made a quick inspection. The car was on the fuel light (nice touch i thought) so I drove to the nearby garage to fill her up. Whilst standing by the car i had another look at the tires and thought they looked slightly odd from that angle. Bending down to read the wall, i discovered they were the wrong ones! Yes they had fitted the Porsche N1 tire. Which i can now confirm sits completely differently on the rim. Rather than being flush as with the standard tire, they protrude beyond the rim itself. I made a call to the service guys and drove the car back to them. They confirmed the mistake. Seemingly no one had checked the wheels (including myself) as they couldn't believe after all the problems sourcing them, anyone could have got it wrong.

Of course by this time, my ride had long gone and i was stuck 90 miles from home with no car! A call to my friend revealed he was already an hour down the road. So i had him wait and the service guy gave me a lift to his car. I'm now promised the correct tires are arriving tomorrow and someone will be delivering my car to my home. Sadly the delivery trailer is being used tomorrow so someone will be driving the car down. On my full tank of fuel of course! All in all a great day. 5 hours on the road, £2k in service fees and tires and a full tank of fuel later, and still no car.

·
Registered
959 Posts
jamesketchell said:
Sadly the delivery trailer is being used tomorrow so someone will be driving the car down.
You really believe that? I think somebody just wants to drive you nice car hehe ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts