Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never owned a Lamborghini but intend on buying a Gallardo very soon. Not to hurt anyone's feelings but they are a little too pokey for me in stock form, so I'm shopping for a boosted one. Below are my current considerations. The theme here is to get one to drive hard and enjoy, not worried about appreciating value / collectibility / mild cosmetics, etc. I am fond of the pre-LP because they are a little more raw and I like the even-firing sound. That said, LP is supposed to be more reliable?

Any advice, personal knowledge of these particular cars, insight, observations or other helpful info much appreciated. Post here, DM me or text/call 315-413-9090.

2006 Hefner

2008 UGR SL

2008 UGR SL with manual conversion

2013 Hefner

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not to hurt your feelings, but maybe a supercharged mega power mustang/camaro/charger/vette may suit you better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not to hurt your feelings, but maybe a supercharged mega power mustang/camaro/charger/vette may suit you better.
Nah, been there, done that. Gallardo looks a ton better and is certainly no muscle car. Unfortunately it’s a bit slow by modern standards and too heavy to make up for it in the turns. No reason to be snarky. I’m just looking for a Gallardo but with more power than a modern SUV 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pokey never heard that phrase?...is that for slow like slow poke.....:)
Yeah haha. That’s what I meant. Like you I have a modern M car and they make a stock pre-LP seem slow. I get that the design is about 17yrs old so it is what it is. Fortunately it is a great engine block to build a nice amount of power off of.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Wow, guys here can be brutal. Yes, the G is slow by today's standard. People just need to deal with that. You can buy a used anything or a new something that can blow the doors off this car for 45k.

That said... "Guy1 tells guy2... 'My GF can run an 8 min mile.' Guy 2 replies, 'Oh that's nice... my GF is a swimsuit/lingerie supermodel.'" That's kind of the Gallardo. It might be slow, but it's gorgeous, pretty much a work of art. Frankly, I drive it slowly so I can enjoy being in it and not rush through the experience and seeing its reflection on shop windows.

The OP is doing something admirable... he's planning to buy a G that will be fastER and still gorgeous and has the gumption to drive it and not care about where the values end up. Good for him.

Can't say much about those cars, but you can reach out to the owner/shop to confirm if they did any engine rebuilds (I think one had it) as part of the install. When they do that, they reinforce internals to make them stronger and that's worth a lot to an engine that's already pretty solid. Drive one to figure if you prefer the LP or preLP sound, with Turbo, it'll all be fast anyway. That said, after hearing a preLP for the first time, I was hooked on THAT sound. So few cars pull that off, it's intoxicating and it's something an exhaust mod just can't replicate.

If you're planning on packing on the miles, expect the LP to have Carbon Build Up around the 40k mark (give or take, YMMV). If you get an eGear, you'll be able to figure out A LOT about how it was driven vs. a gated. But that's personal preference. If you're buying this car to be Fast.. .the eGears are always faster (in stock form, easily .5-.7 sec).

I too agree the brutish/raw nature (yet still controlled) of the preLPs were a little more enticing to me. Could have easily done an LP, but after driving both and then realizing I wanted something that was a 180 from my daily driver.. the preLP hit the mark.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the good insight. I truly appreciate people keeping things stock and pristine / original. I have 70+ year olds Harleys like that. However, I also have chopped and bobbed ones. All have their place.

At the end of the day I want a Gallardo not because it’s the best track or road car, but because I just really like the lines, accessibility, relative reliability, and ability to make gobs of power but still be daily driveable. Oh and the pre LP sound is intoxicating.

Having one with a “built” motor is a definite bonus. Thanks for pointing that out. Also often overlooked is building the trans as well. There are some nice stronger gear sets available. The old adage, “you don’t build a more powerful car, you build a car to handle more power” applies here.

Wow, guys here can be brutal. Yes, the G is slow by today's standard. People just need to deal with that. You can buy a used anything or a new something that can blow the doors off this car for 45k.

That said... "Guy1 tells guy2... 'My GF can run an 8 min mile.' Guy 2 replies, 'Oh that's nice... my GF is a swimsuit/lingerie supermodel.'" That's kind of the Gallardo. It might be slow, but it's gorgeous, pretty much a work of art. Frankly, I drive it slowly so I can enjoy being in it and not rush through the experience and seeing it's reflection on shop windows.

The OP is doing something admirable... he's planning to buy a G that will be fastER and still gorgeous and has the gumption to drive it and not care about where the values end up. Good for him.

Can't say much about those cars, but you can reach out to the owner/shop to confirm if they did any engine rebuilds (I think one had it) as part of the install. When they do that, they reinforce internals to make them stronger and that's worth a lot to an engine that's already pretty solid. Drive one to figure if you prefer the LP or preLP sound, with Turbo, it'll all be fast anyway. That said, after hearing a preLP for the first time, I was hooked on THAT sound. So few cars pull that off, it's intoxicating and it's something an exhaust mod just can't replicate.

If you're planning on packing on the miles, expect the LP to have Carbon Build Up around the 40k mark (give or take, YMMV). If you get an eGear, you'll be able to figure out A LOT about how it was driven vs. a gated. But that's personal preference. If you're buying this car to Fast.. .the eGears are always faster (in stock form, easily .5-.7 sec).

I too agree the brutish/raw nature (yet still controlled) of the preLPs were a little more enticing to me. Could have easily done an LP, but after driving both and then realizing I wanted something that was a 180 from my daily driver.. the preLP hit the mark.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,096 Posts
The old adage, “you don’t build a more powerful car, you build a car to handle more power” applies here.
Great quote and boy is that true.(y)

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Nah, been there, done that. Gallardo looks a ton better and is certainly no muscle car. Unfortunately it’s a bit slow by modern standards and too heavy to make up for it in the turns. No reason to be snarky. I’m just looking for a Gallardo but with more power than a modern SUV 🤷‍♂️
So what will you do with this "speed"? How will you use it?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
The G is certainly not a fast car in todays standard. I would rate it as quick. Looks amazing though and still after 16 years since the G came out it still attracts huge attention. I get wanting more power. The kick in the pants feeling of acceleration just isn't there with a G but I also have no idea where Id use the power unless you are racing it. For the twisties you certainly don't need any more power. I actually prefer my Vantage in the twisties and it is shy almost 100 hp to the G. Good luck with the search.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Well....since everyone else is forcing you to validate your wants, I'm going to assume you are like anyone else who wants something 'just because' and give my opinions on the cars linked. I agree on your points, and buying a built car to fulfill your speed desires is good in my book.

#1:
Pros - Built Engine, built trans, Pre-LP (you noted you liked the rawness), low miles for the year
Cons - egear....Con for me, I like Manual, but there would be more to go wrong.
Questions - Specifies 12 month warranty. When does it expire? Is it fully transferable? What engine management software is used (I'd want MOTEC here)
#2:
Pros: Underground built (Best builder, in my opinion), Built Engine, built trans, MOTEC programming, newer but still Pre-LP, also a very desirable Superleggera.
Cons - egear
Questions - UR offers a 2 year warranty on their builds. Does any remain? How many miles are on the build?
Pros: Underground built, Built Engine, built trans, MOTEC programming, newer but still Pre-LP, also a very desirable Superleggera. Gated Manual!!! Upgraded axles and diffs.
Cons: This is a 3R. This is completely streetable, but with the fire supression system an 2000 available hp, this is pretty much a race car. I'd be a bit concerned with day to day street-ability, but this is just me having no experience with something like this. Also, while I prefer a gated manual always, with this much horsepower on tap......things could break with a mishift or overrev, whereas with a programmed egear like #2, it's pretty much idiot proof (way less fun though, haha)
Questions - Same as #2
Pros: Perfect color combo....sorry, this is completely my preference, haha.
Cons: LP (this is a con solely based on your notes above, for me this would be the biggest 'pro'), egear, simply a reprogrammed ECU (says 'remapped' not MOTEC or otherwise), stock engine internals, stock transmission.
Questions - This one being a 'light' build and LP, would lead me to less turbo-specific questions. Just the normal questions when buying a pre-used exotic.

Not sure if any of this helps. These are just my opinions based on what I read in the ads. All 4 are very cool cars in my opinion. I've researched a lot of turbo builds over the years. Wish I could get my head out of my a$$ and actually afford one. Instead, I just live vicariously through all of you.
Good luck on your purchase, and don't let anyone talk you out of what you want, and don't try to validate your wants to anyone.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fair question that gets to the heart of my search. I’d like a streetable supercar that can do light / novice track duty, be reasonable for a handy shade tree guy to work on, look better than most anything else on the road, sound to match looks, acting like a teenager embarrassing my friends and their modified streetcars and price is within my slush fund. Just good fun.

So what will you do with this "speed"? How will you use it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!! Constructive and helpful info. As I get my head around this I realize a true block-up build is probably the way to go. And you are right about the 3 pedal option being fun — it is my dream BUT finding one is costly.

Well....since everyone else is forcing you to validate your wants, I'm going to assume you are like anyone else who wants something 'just because' and give my opinions on the cars linked. I agree on your points, and buying a built car to fulfill your speed desires is good in my book.

#1:
Pros - Built Engine, built trans, Pre-LP (you noted you liked the rawness), low miles for the year
Cons - egear....Con for me, I like Manual, but there would be more to go wrong.
Questions - Specifies 12 month warranty. When does it expire? Is it fully transferable? What engine management software is used (I'd want MOTEC here)
#2:
Pros: Underground built (Best builder, in my opinion), Built Engine, built trans, MOTEC programming, newer but still Pre-LP, also a very desirable Superleggera.
Cons - egear
Questions - UR offers a 2 year warranty on their builds. Does any remain? How many miles are on the build?
Pros: Underground built, Built Engine, built trans, MOTEC programming, newer but still Pre-LP, also a very desirable Superleggera. Gated Manual!!! Upgraded axles and diffs.
Cons: This is a 3R. This is completely streetable, but with the fire supression system an 2000 available hp, this is pretty much a race car. I'd be a bit concerned with day to day street-ability, but this is just me having no experience with something like this. Also, while I prefer a gated manual always, with this much horsepower on tap......things could break with a mishift or overrev, whereas with a programmed egear like #2, it's pretty much idiot proof (way less fun though, haha)
Questions - Same as #2
Pros: Perfect color combo....sorry, this is completely my preference, haha.
Cons: LP (this is a con solely based on your notes above, for me this would be the biggest 'pro'), egear, simply a reprogrammed ECU (says 'remapped' not MOTEC or otherwise), stock engine internals, stock transmission.
Questions - This one being a 'light' build and LP, would lead me to less turbo-specific questions. Just the normal questions when buying a pre-used exotic.

Not sure if any of this helps. These are just my opinions based on what I read in the ads. All 4 are very cool cars in my opinion. I've researched a lot of turbo builds over the years. Wish I could get my head out of my a$$ and actually afford one. Instead, I just live vicariously through all of you.
Good luck on your purchase, and don't let anyone talk you out of what you want, and don't try to validate your wants to anyone.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Fair question that gets to the heart of my search. I’d like a streetable supercar that can do light / novice track duty, be reasonable for a handy shade tree guy to work on, look better than most anything else on the road, sound to match looks, acting like a teenager embarrassing my friends and their modified streetcars and price is within my slush fund. Just good fun.
Nothing wrong with that logic and thinking. Be patient and you will find your car. Wish you good luck.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Never owned a Lamborghini but intend on buying a Gallardo very soon. Not to hurt anyone's feelings but they are a little too pokey for me in stock form, so I'm shopping for a boosted one. Below are my current considerations. The theme here is to get one to drive hard and enjoy, not worried about appreciating value / collectibility / mild cosmetics, etc. I am fond of the pre-LP because they are a little more raw and I like the even-firing sound. That said, LP is supposed to be more reliable?

Any advice, personal knowledge of these particular cars, insight, observations or other helpful info much appreciated. Post here, DM me or text/call 315-413-9090.

2006 Hefner

2008 UGR SL

2008 UGR SL with manual conversion

2013 Hefner
Do not a buy a boosted, buy something else, they are extremely unreliable and the factory never intended these to have 700HP the drive train can't handle it over time, you want more power buy a huracan or AV

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But I want more power than that 😈
All joking aside, tuning cars and modifying them is great fun. Sure some things are statistically more likely to go wrong, and some things need to be bolstered ahead of time.
For instance, I’d love to get a Lotus Esprit V8 and unleash its full 500hp that it was designed for. The motor can do that and was designed for it. The trans was the limiting factor and still is with few options for improvement.
I guess it’s a long winded way of saying: fix, use, break, repeat. These things are tools used to bring amusement and joy. Some people do this by preserving them, others by abusing them 😊. At least with the G there are a lot of ways to make them stronger / capable of more power and still be daily driveable.

Do not a buy a boosted, buy something else, they are extremely unreliable and the factory never intended these to have 700HP the drive train can't handle it over time, you want more power buy a huracan or AV

1 - 16 of 16 Posts