Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to track down a clutch for my 91 Diablo. I have found a distributor that has a Veleo OEM clutch kit (clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing) for under $1000.00. The problem is the only info he has says that it fits all 91 and up Diablos. I have a 91 spare parts book and it looks like there might have been a change or an update to the clutch disc after VIN#12682. I have also have heard that the whole clutch assembly design changed around 95 and went from Valeo to Sachs, or Sachs to Valeo. Can older cars be updated my VIN# is 12352. If anyone can clearify any of this and or knows physical differences between designs I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My vin is 12048. I sent my entire clutch and flywheel to Clutchmasters and for 750 dollars they reworked / modified it. There are pictures and the issue is well covered on the old site if you search

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike I have been following all of the posts on clutches for over a year now knowing that I would need one soon. Until I found this deal I was going to follow the direction that you went. By the way how has yours been performing?
JVR are you 100% sure they are inner changable and is it from 91 to 99? I am curious to know what the changes were are they visible or just material? I want to be sure because I am buying it now but I don't plan to change it until Jan do to a few issues like a broken back. I don't think I can return it after that long.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I spent some time reading the archives for info on clutches for the Diablo. I have an '01 6.0 Diablo and I am interested in clutch options as well. Here are some questions that I have. Your advice will be appreciated.

1) Does someone offer the titanium linkage rod? Where can I purchase it and for what price?
2) What is the best clutch option for a 6.0 Diablo? Looking through the archives there was some talk about the Clutchmasters clutch for $800, the Burtoni Carbon clutch (seems like some believe the one they offer is the same $800 Clutchmaster one), the Ferrari 550 clutch, and a stock clutch.
Now that some of you have had experience driving with each of these clutches, I would love to hear some feedback!
3) What are the current recommendations for clutches on the 6.0 (if anything has changed...)?

Based upon information I gathered awhile ago, I must admit that I am surprised to hear the clutch for the Ferrari 550 is the EXACT same one as the Diablo (especially given the price difference). Has anyone confirmed that this is definitely true?

Look forward to hearing your feedback.
Thx.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
all Lambo did was change suppliers if anything, I can't recall ever having seen a Valeo and I've changed early & late clutches (maybe not early enough :confused: ). Nothing external changed like release arm or clutch master so the internals must be of identical design by different manufacturers. Countachs use F&S also.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Vpr,

The titaniom rod project is incomplete. i'm still looking for a way to get the cost of the rod under $1000

The 550 package is the most cost effective way to go stock and for improved clamping force & friction material the Clutch Master Route is the best.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks JRV sorry about the double posts for some reason I can't see my posts for a while after I post them.
I think I will go ahead and buy the kit it looks like it will now be under $700.00 with shipping.

Thanks for the site :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Where do you buy the kit?
Who offers the best prices?
Does anyone make a lightweight aluminum flywheel for the Diablo?

·
Registered
278 Posts
This clutch issue keeps rearing its ugly head.

If anyone is interested, my clutch is performing just fine, no problems whatsover, very street-friendly, easy to use, smooth, reduced pedal effort.

Because of my current location, every time my car gets used the clutch gets slipped loads as I have to the equivalent of putting it on a transporter [and no I'm not planning on getting a G car egear]

My thoughts :

Most clutch issues seem to be as a result of wear of friction material, resulting in slipping, the resultant heat accelerating the failure. {JRV no doubt will have something to say on this]

The inspection of the clutch actuation free play is easy to overlook, and if this is not done there can be premature wear.

Lamborghini clutch parts are :

1. Very expensive, and seem to be the same parts as others [ferrari550] on sale at a fraction of the price.

2. In my view inadequate for the purpose they are intended.

In my opinion it is very much worth exploring options other than Lamborghini clutch replacement parts. As the major part of the expense of clutch replacement is the engine pull-replace, at least put something in that might serve for a reasonable interval.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I remember correctly, some one on the Yahoo Lamborghini List sent their clutch to a rebuilder and was very pleased with the finished product. You may have to search the old posts but he did offer the service to other Lambo owners.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts