Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I took my 2012 A for a rip, ran fantastic, filled up the gas tank and as I was leaving the gas station and put the car in gear it felt like it was changing through all the gears at a stand still. I started driving for 2 min and drove fine. I stopped close to my house and it was still doing the same thing, it was stopped but once I put in first it was jerking like it was changing gears. I parked it for the night. Next morn, started no problem, warmed it up and I drove for 2 min and then it just turned off and light comes on Gear Box Malfunction. Car would not turn on for about 5 min. Then turned on but still won’t go into first. But I could see it was trying to go thru all the gears. I had my tech on the phone and he says that’s normal, the computer is going through all the motions. But I could not get it to move so I towed it to the dealer. Here comes the bad news. Dealer not sure if it’s clutch or gearbox so they saying replace both. I asked about the fact that everyone says clutch/gearbox is bulletproof. They said it’s an earlier year so they had problems. They r not sure why clutch went , that mayb gearbox fluids leaked into the clutch. Sounds weird, I looked at report and it says clutch needs replacing and gear box is functioning properly. Has anybody had a problem like this? Should I replace both or just clutch? Any advice would be appreciated. Car has 17600 miles on it. I have had no issues til this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would definitively recommend to have another shop/or qualified mechanic have a look at it. Many of the dealership does not work in your best interest, and does not have qualified people either...

Just the fact that they are not able to tell you exactly whats damaged and needs to be replaced rings an alarm bell.

Have a 3rd party shop to come out and have a look at it and get another opinion, way too much dineros involved not to do it...

·
Vendor
1,480 Posts
I second that one, have someone else get a look at it before agreeing. I can say that I have sold about a dozen clutches on these and yet to replace a gearbox. I have both OEM and kevlar version for this if that's what the issue comes down to. Let me know where you are located and can possibly recommend a shop near you.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I hate to be that guy, but I had issues with my gearbox starting around 20k miles, i spent close to $50k over the next 10k miles brining it in to fix random things that would "mend" the gearbox for 500-2000 miles at a time and then the issue would happen all over again.

Finally took it to a different lambo dealer, replaced gearbox, and all good.

My suggestion is either spend the money on a new gearbox at lambo (so you get the warranty) or trade it in

·
Registered
129 Posts
Find yourself an independent shop. Any gearbox and clutch can be repaired or rebuilt. Dealer charges to pull he motor to do a clutch when it can easily be done without doing so. Ive rebuilt my clutch already, let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how did this go, did you get a 2nd opinion?
Thank you for the inquiry. Because of the Covid, my car was sitting at a shop all this time, now they opened up about a week ago so now I’m looking for a second opinion. I have called around but no one out this way has done a clutch yet on an Aventador, they don’t have the upgraded software to align the clutch after it is in. Such a headache but working on it, I will keep everyone in touch. Thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you for the inquiry. Because of the Covid, my car was sitting at a shop all this time, now they opened up about a week ago so now I’m looking for a second opinion. I have called around but no one out this way has done a clutch yet on an Aventador, they don’t have the upgraded software to align the clutch after it is in. Such a headache but working on it, I will keep everyone in touch. Thank you
ship the car to @CFI Designs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hate to be that guy, but I had issues with my gearbox starting around 20k miles, i spent close to $50k over the next 10k miles brining it in to fix random things that would "mend" the gearbox for 500-2000 miles at a time and then the issue would happen all over again.

Finally took it to a different lambo dealer, replaced gearbox, and all good.

My suggestion is either spend the money on a new gearbox at lambo (so you get the warranty) or trade it in
ship the car to @CFI Designs.
i would love to ship it to CFI but I live in Canada

1 - 9 of 9 Posts