Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,

Currently in the market for a manual, pre LP Gallardo. I just fell in love with the car when it came out and got stuck on the original design, even if I keep hearing that the later cars are overall "better"... and I hope this is not opening a can of worms.

What's the limitation on here with "conversations"? Been trying to send another message to a member local to me but I'm told as a new user I can't send another one?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD (Ordered)
6,478 Posts
Welcome and best of luck with your quest! I think after you place a few posts you should be okay. I remember on the 718forum you had to post like 10 times but I am not sure about this forum. I would respond to some of these posts and then try again to PM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I was actually able to send more private messages after I posted this thread.

Currently on the way to check out and test drive a 2005, let's see if she "talks" to me.

·
Premium Member
6,478 Posts
Thanks, I was actually able to send more private messages after I posted this thread.

Currently on the way to check out and test drive a 2005, let's see if she "talks" to me.
Glad to hear it! There is a bit of chaos, of late, around the world, and hopefully, you and your family are doing well. When you get your Gallardo post pictures; Enjoy the hunt! ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you, we are all doing well, you too I hope.
Considering the global context I for sure feel privileged to be in a position to indulge myself with the possible purchase of a far-from-essential device such as an exotic car, especially one as "outrageous" as a Lamborghini!

The car I saw and drove today seemed pretty good to me. It shows about 25k miles on the clock, the overall condition especially the level of wear on the interior suggest it has not been clocked. It drove pretty well with no suspect vibrations or noises of any sort, and no white/blue/black exhaust fumes. Oil pressure seemed fine, showing 2 bar at idle with oil temp at 90°C, and slightly above 4 bar under load, which seems ok with the current 5W40 oil which the seller said was in the engine.
After the drive I could not spot any leakage or wet spot looking at the powertrain either from behind/below or through the engine bay.

The only possible "issue" I could notice while driving was very slight clutch judder when slowly releasing the clutch in 1st gear moving from a standstill. The service records show a clutch replacement at 8k miles, FWIW. The trans seemed fine, although I was surprised that changing the gears required precise rev-matching as the gearbox felt a little reluctant otherwise, particularly at slow pace, especially around town. However the gears would change perfectly the faster and the more dynamically I would drive the car. I don't know if the reluctance of the gearbox at a slow pace suggests anything, like perhaps worn out syncro rings and/or a tired clutch.
Although the brakes performed well, the brake discs show severe grooves, suggesting they are original. Such a level of wear suggest to me that the car may have been driven hard considering the low-ish mileage, although the seller is adamant that the car has never been taken on the track.

My OBD tester returned some error codes :
P1311 : EXHAUST PRESSURE SENSOR BANK 1 / Exhaust sensor pressure signal
P1367 : EXHAUST VARIABLE VALVE TIMING CONTROL Bank1 / VVT position Target - VVT position
P1369 : EXHAUST VARIABLE VALVE TIMING CONTROL Bank2 / VVT position Target - VVT position

Does the P1311 code suggest the cat on bank 1 may be clogged? I heard the cats on pre LP cars could cause terminal engine failures so deleting them is the first thing on my to-do list if I buy this car.
Not sure what to think of the other 2 codes, in terms of how this should affect engine performance as the engine revved fine and felt very dynamic and responsive all the way up to 8k rpm. As to not worry the seller and be respectful I avoided hitting the rev limiter, also because I did not feel the need to do it.

Any opinion on all this?
Thanks in advance for any input. I have an overall good feeling with this car but I don't want to make any expensive mistake. It seems to me it has been used little but regularly enough to avoid issues related to garage queens.

·
Premium Member
6,478 Posts
@Tomasini, there are many people on the forum with a lot of knowledge about the Gallardo and I am sure they will point you in the right direction. Though, I would recommend getting PPI to be on the safe side.......trust and verify is my motto.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
16,837 Posts
Hello & Welcome from Hawaii! Wish you good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the kind words, I posted another thread in the Gallardo forum to attract people in the know on here. I hope this is ok!

·
Premium Member
6,478 Posts
Thank you for the kind words, I posted another thread in the Gallardo forum to attract people in the know on here. I hope this is ok!
I am sure that is okay and that way you get more focused and relevant information. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts