Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently a 2008 Gallardo Superleggera owner. I absolutely love the car but, I can't stop thinking about the Diablo. I am drawn to the 1990-1992 RWD models. I have read about their "rawness" and I am further intrigued.

Is there anyone here on the forum that has owned BOTH the Gallardo and the Diablo ???

Please post your experiences. I would truly appreciate any input you may have.

Also, is there anything that Model years 1990-1992 specific issues that STANDS OUT as a must inspect ???

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi Tommy,

I currently own both, feel free to PM me to discuss. Jason.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,330 Posts
Tommy, welcome to the Diablo forum! It is a completely and totally different car but one that in many many ways is superior to the Gardo. The roar of the engine, the rawness as you noted, and the looks you will get among many others are truly incredible. And, it’s an extremely limited production line making the car much more rare.

That said, I would not limit your search to just 90 to 92. The VT (4WD) started in 95 and they were all 4WD through the end of the product line, except some special variants. That said, many of the bugs were worked out from early cars (dashboard, OBDII in 96+, ABS 98+, etc) and for $1000 plus labor you can convert the four-wheel-drive cars back to 2 Wheel Dr. That is a cheap way to have the optionlaity of either four wheel or two wheel. Mine is currently still 4 wheel but I will be converting my car to two wheel this winter. I have yet to read anything other than positive on the conversion.

nothing at all against the early cars, just illuminating that the later cars can still have the same level of road feel that I think you were getting at in your post. Another consideration is coupe versus Roadster and the roadsters only began in 96 or 97 through 99, as well as any special variants like an SV, 30th anniversary, a millennium addition, etc. One final note, the Diablo is a fun car to do your own work and maintenance with which I find personally fun and rewarding. I would not want to do as much on my Gallardo “Lance” due to the layout of the spider top so to me the Gallardo is more of a daily driver that I will pay for service while the Diablo “Clyde” is a fun car that I like to tinker on. Which Bull do I like best?!?! Buy a Diablo, and that’s for you to answer.

I am always happy to chat if you want, just PM me.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Clyde. A very thoughtful and informative response.

Tommy, welcome to the Diablo forum! It is a completely and totally different car but one that in many many ways is superior to the Gardo. The roar of the engine, the rawness as you noted, and the looks you will get among many others are truly incredible. And, it’s an extremely limited production line making the car much more rare.

That said, I would not limit your search to just 90 to 92. The VT (4WD) started in 95 and they were all 4WD through the end of the product line, except some special variants. That said, many of the bugs were worked out from early cars (dashboard, OBDII in 96+, ABS 98+, etc) and for $1000 plus labor you can convert the four-wheel-drive cars back to 2 Wheel Dr. That is a cheap way to have the optionlaity of either four wheel or two wheel. Mine is currently still 4 wheel but I will be converting my car to two wheel this winter. I have yet to read anything other than positive on the conversion.

nothing at all against the early cars, just illuminating that the later cars can still have the same level of road feel that I think you were getting at in your post. Another consideration is coupe versus Roadster and the roadsters only began in 96 or 97 through 99, as well as any special variants like an SV, 30th anniversary, a millennium addition, etc. One final note, the Diablo is a fun car to do your own work and maintenance with which I find personally fun and rewarding. I would not want to do as much on my Gallardo “Lance” due to the layout of the spider top so to me the Gallardo is more of a daily driver that I will pay for service while the Diablo “Clyde” is a fun car that I like to tinker on. Which Bull do I like best?!?! Buy a Diablo, and that’s for you to answer.

I am always happy to chat if you want, just PM me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I personally think the steal of the century right now is in importing a '96/'97 SV under the 25 year rule. You get a 2WD Diablo later in the development cycle, 510 bhp, and its about the same price as a clean US spec 91/92.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I personally think the steal of the century right now is in importing a '96/'97 SV under the 25 year rule. You get a 2WD Diablo later in the development cycle, 510 bhp, and its about the same price as a clean US spec 91/92.
Where are these cars??

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you MIT, This is a good option, If I can not locate a 91-93 RWD. Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well I bought this lower mileage 2 owner red one for $158k. I think EU markets had a different perception of the Diablo SV as the "budget option" and vehicles there sell accordingly lower (which is why I recommended this search). My car needs to wait 1 more year before being imported (frustrating), just trying to provide some helpful advice and I was in the same boat looking for an early '91-93 and then was able to get a very clean SV (which I much prefer).

·
Registered
114 Posts
I love the green too! It was also the only SV ordered to pair with an SVR at the same time so came factory equipped this one with an SVR wing (that was included in the sale).

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
And don't get me wrong about lower mileage cars, they will always be worth more. But if you buy a low mile Diablo that hasn't been regularly run you will have a lot of shaking down to do if you plan to drive it a lot.

·
Registered
114 Posts
$3,500 to ship and 2.5% import duties. Pretty simple actually. I got focused on this EU car route when I was looking for a 512TR and one popped up in the UK for $102k USD, so I started expanding my search more globally. The early 90's EU vs USA spec were also generally lighter weight and got rid of mouse-belts (the auto-retracting belts) for many cars. That said "where in EU" matters and a lot and in general condition is worse, so you need to be more diligent about overall condition.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Be patient! The '96-'97 cars haven't reached their potential in Europe yet (and no waiting games like my car which is '98), but I would connect with a few Lamborghini experts in the UK and Italy to find a good car. I think 96/97's can still be had for 150-175k USD over there. I also think the staggered 17"/18" on these cars and the non-colored OZ rims looks absolutely amazing.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts