Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
I am a near future Lambo owner, (?) being 48 now, a long life dream seems possible due to my wife's approval of a Countach purchase on my 50th birthday.

As "training" I decided to purchase an older Lotus Esprit, that I think approaches the general layout and size of the
Countach.

I have done a lot of common things to see if I could live with a car like the Countach, I learned lots of basic maintenance skills and I ruined a lot in my Esprit, on my way to learn how to live with a Countach.

If possible, I would like to discuss some of those experiences and learn from Lamborghini owners, about the good and the bad.

I noticed, since I started driving the Esprit, that people react to the presence of the car. Some reactions are good, some are funny, and many times I detect agression.

Am I going paranoid? Big trucks tend to tailgate a lot, they
drive very aggresively to show me something? I have been
chased by people who follow everything I do.

How do you guys deal with this?

I have a lot to learn...

·
Registered
93 Posts
People react in all sorts of weird ways. I've not noticed any anger towards my Countach, except for one incidence of a bunch of rowdy "townies" shouting at me, but 99% is very enthusiastic response, people photographing and videoing the car. Kids especially love it.

Best to just ignore any idiots and just enjoy the car for what it is, accepting that some folks will get mad at anyone that outdoes them. :D

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Such reactions are quite normal - people will be curious, and ask you "how fast does it go?", "How much did you pay?". Old men will approach you with "I remember when . . ." stories about their cars, or their father's cars. Women will give you their phone number.

One guy in front of me threw a cup of soda out his sunroof on the freeway. I had to slam on the brakes to keep from being doused.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Don´t worry I am 55 and only got my C/T this year. It is a VERY positive feeling driving the car.
99.9% of reaction is positive and people tend to respect classic cars, unlike newer ones.
Engineering wise, well we could all write a book on it. Get one that has been USED not stored ( provided it has records)
You will need to keep on top of the mechanics and electrics, but overall they are a very strong car, just treat them like a lady, ride them hard and reward them well !!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Jim,

I appreciate very much your comments. I think that actually explains most of what I have experienced.

Sometimes I go for a spin in the Esprit completely off
guard, and I think eventhough I should ignore, I still have
to drive defensively.

Talking about another concern, though. I am what you would call (Please nobody be offended!) an Italian Monkey.
I am 170 lbs.
I have long arms, short legs and height somewhere around
5'6". So the Esprit fits like a GLOVE. I cruise with my left arm very comfortably on the left arm rest. The front view
is perfect, the right arm rest during red light makes me smile due to the comfort! (I could fall asleep if it wasn't for the cool response of the engine that keeps me awake...!

I have many many pictures of the Countach, and I just can't imagine how I would fit in the car. I think tall people do not complain too much, which makes me worry, I might not fit adequately. I have never sat on one.
Sorry about the long note!

Thanks again! you helped me enormously.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Tall people have a problem short people do not. The seats are very adjustable for short people, you need to be seated correctly as the cltch is quite heavy.
It is not a car for evey day driving though and I would hate to be in English traffic jams in one

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I should qualify that, of course you can drive it everyday, however I would only enjoy that if the roads were able to be used and the towns not too jammed up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
(This Forum is so cool!)...

Allow me to mention a car I found, (Countach '85) currently for sale, it is a fixer-upper, (see ReadyToFix.com). It looks
like a tree fell on it or something. At ($32,900.00 ?!?)
To me the body style, wheels and year in this car are closer to what I have in mind compared to what I have seen for sale somewhere else.
If you guys were to buy one, what would you think of this one?
I think a paint job, and some $10,000.00 would put it back
on the road...Am I way off?!?

Am I going in the wrong direction trying to fix a car with
no history? Should I just think of a $65,000.00 range
running example better?

In the case of a Countach, does cheap turn possibly to more expensive than regular pricing?

Thanks again for your comments!

I am happy for you Terry (55), I think your comments are gold,
and you a fine person. You deserve your car absolutely.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Your welcome. Body panels are virtually impossible to find. Any C/T that has a major, or even a minor body accident is almost certainly a write off as far as insurance goes. Either the factory ( VERY expensive) or a dedicated craftsman would have to re shape the body panels which are 1mm thick aluminium.
Don´t even look at a trashed one. There are some beutiful C/T´s available in the US from what have seen.
Take advice from JRV and Raymond Stofer in Switzerland, they seem to know the C/T better than anyone else I have met here on the net

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
kidzvillage said:
Allow me to mention a car I found, (Countach '85) currently for sale, it is a fixer-upper, (see ReadyToFix.com). It looks
like a tree fell on it or something. At ($32,900.00 ?!?)
That car was sold many moons ago...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well...!

Somebody thought it was worth repairing I guess!

Mick, you have two Lambos?!? They are awesome. But you are not driving them...240 miles?

·
Banned
51 Posts
kidzvillage said:
Hello all,
I am a near future Lambo owner, (?) being 48 now, a long life dream seems possible due to my wife's approval of a Countach purchase on my 50th birthday.
You can never be too young or too old for a Lambo. (as long as you have a license :evil: )

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
kidzvillage said:
But you are not driving them...240 miles?
Don't forget the one with 15,000 miles!!

.... and the one with 240 miles is an average of 1.3 miles per month.... ;)

-mick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Reactions

When I was driving my brand new Gallardo home from the dealer, a carload of guys who seemed to have more tattoos than skin all gave me the finger at once. I guess they meant it in a good way. Keep smiling.

You get all kinds of responses, some wonderful, and some of them make freeway driving a bit more hazardous. :eek:

Alex M

·
Banned
51 Posts
alexmo said:
When I was driving my brand new Gallardo home from the dealer, a carload of guys who seemed to have more tattoos than skin all gave me the finger at once. I guess they meant it in a good way. Keep smiling.

You get all kinds of responses, some wonderful, and some of them make freeway driving a bit more hazardous. :eek:

Alex M
Can we say jealousy?

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Restoration

Luis,
The Italian monkey was very funny! My roots are in Sicily. :wave:

I am in the final phases of a 91 Diablo restoration. I can tell you that it is a lot of fun, but very expensive. I am doing it as a project with my three sons. We are not doing most of the work, but we have been researching things together. It's a family project. I 've gotten a Diablo education in the process. Some important tips from this forum also. If you don't mind waiting and spending money, go the restoration route. Just make sure you know what you getting into and budget accordingly. Parts are hard to come by and not cheap. Find a good mechanic.

If I didn't have three sons, I would buy one that was totally completed. I've seen many nice cars being sold for a fair price within the last 6 months.

Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Kidzvillage,

I have both an Esprit S2 and a Countach. At 6'2" and lets' just say mid-200s, trust me, if I can fit in a CT, you'll have room to spare. I didn't think I would ever fit in one, and in fact the first one I ever tried, I couldn't fit because I didn't know how to adjust the steering wheel - it tilts and telescopes. The seller couldn't figure it out either, so I just crossed the CT off my list. Bummer too, because he was looking to unload the car and I could have bought it really cheap. But when I was out at Bobileff's in San Diego, Gary showed me how to adjust it and I was able to fit - just barely - so I bought it. I wouldn't want to drive it cross country, but around town it's fine.

What really surprised me when I got the Esprit, is that it is actually bigger than the CT, except in width. I always thought Esprits were tiny. With all the scoops and flares, the CT looks larger than it is.

Udo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I apologize to anybody who added to this thread, I couldn't add lately due to Internet problems.

Pretty cool! a project with your 3 sons!

I have an 11 year old boy, he loooves the Esprit. And keeps
asking when we are getting the Lambo. (mmmh...)

I saw in Japan (1989) my first Countach anniversary, in a showroom...I was a student, you know, jeans T shirt... and
I enter the showroom to take a closer look.

2 amazing girls in mini-skirts approached me with tea and cookies...and very politely invited me to see the car.

Normally, dressing like I was, you are pretty much invisible in places like jewelry stores and the like...It was a real treat!

Mini skirts go well with a Countach in a show room...

I don't know why....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts