Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently gone through a Stem Cell Transplant due to the fact I have Multiple Myeloma. Unfortunately there is no real cure for MM. My doctor at Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center says he hopes I will now be clean from the disease for 5-7 years. Time will tell I guess. To be honest I don't know if I would go through the transplant process again or not. All of this has me thinking again about purchasing a Gallardo. I am 52 years old, never married and I have no children or debt. I am not wealthy, I hope to return to my job in a month or two. I know it really makes no financial sense for someone like me to buy a car like this under normal circumstances but my situation is not normal. I'm thinking or maybe rationalizing, what would I need a retirement fund for anyway. Why not enjoy what life I have left. I have just recently started looking at listings lately and I am wondering if you can even buy a "good" Gallardo in the 110K range. This is all I would really want to spend, it would leave enough left to live on and have money for the ownership costs on such a car. Well, I just thought I would post this because I have been thinking of doing so for a while now.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
21,066 Posts
I would say a resounding YES. Do whatever it takes to make you happy and I do believe you can find a decent G in that price range. You just need to do all the due diligence, PPI and such.

I would also suggest having a back you plan just in case you surprise yourself and outlive the averages, it happens all the time. Get well and don't let this steal anymore of your life and dreams than it already has, believe I know. The best to you!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
When I was dreaming of getting a Corvette, I thought to myself is it better to have the money in the bank doing nothing or the money giving me so much fun on the road? Then my second thought if I need the money I'll sell the car even if I get 50-70% of it back.

The mother in law was mouthing off to her daughter I was wasting money, I told my GF at least I'll have some of it back if I sell it while your mother spends over 30K a year doing trips around the world and all she get's back are those silly 10$ tourist trinkets.

I bought the car and I enjoy it every time. it has boosted my morale by 1000%, I have no regrets it's so much fun the first year I spent over 3000$ in gas for the summer and I've yet to tally my receipts this year but I should be in it for over 4K. I have no second thoughts of buying my future car, the H. I'll make more money, my trade will never go away but I won't make up youth.

Every day I meet people who didn't do much with their lives and I see many who are elderly and in sickness and I say to myself I'm enjoying my life right now while I'm still young and able.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I also had a customer once he had a small duplex and it was very outdated and very beat up but he didn't care, his pride and joy was his Porsche. He had his priorities....

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
15,677 Posts
OP, first sorry to hear about your illness and my hope is that with present therapies and one developed over the next 5 or so years your prognosis could improve. Having said that, I think if you after crunching the numbers you have enough for necessities and medical care/treatments then I think that would be a great idea. Just keep one thing in mind this disease can go into remission and you may have a longer than the projected 5 years and I just want to make sure you consider that. I would talk to your physician and see what he thinks. Sometimes if patients respond favorably to the stem cell transplant another is often recommended so you could be looking at being around longer than you anticipate. Just don't want you to coming to the point that your struggling both medically and financially. Best of Luck!

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
15,677 Posts
Reactions: jcm

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,021 Posts
OP, my best wishes to you! For the car, hell yes get one! Enjoy the hell out of it too! Just please do some research on the dealership and the car. None of us want you buying a car that will just give you headaches. I have car fax and if you would like me to run the cars you find, please feel free to PM me the vin #’s anytime.

Reactions: jcm and Luzifer

·
Registered
719 Posts
First, I wish for the best for you to make a full recovery. Second, absolutely do what makes you happy. I lost both parents within a month, and then my wife received a cancer diagnosis.

Later that year, I bought a Ferrari. This year, a STO. Did they make me happy? Yes! I took the Ferrari to the Sebring Race track on Sunday, one of my most memorable days ever.

So I vote a strong yes for you (get a PPI, though). There are so many helpful members on this forum, you can‘t go wrong. You will find strength and encouragement here.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
15,677 Posts
OP, after consulting with your physician and crunching the numbers I am sure there are many forum Gallardo owners that will help steer you in the right direction. Best of luck!

Reactions: jcm

·
Premium Member
Gallardo LP550-2
37 Posts
Dear friend, I'm wishing you an extended life and full recovery. Please make your dream a reality, now.

Go for it.

God bless you and can't wait to hear updates.

James.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My Uncle was dealing with stage Pancreatic cancer and fought a good fight for 2 years . I can tell you he went out enjoying all his fortune and not letting to waste . He bought a house on the beach and his first car was a Mclaren 650s toward his last 6 months on earth he sold that and bought a Ferrari 488 and his smile was always seen and heard around the beach until he passed this past january. I say buy it enjoy and live your dream you can’t take anything when you die and it’s better to enjoy something that can put a smile on your face that lasts forever as a memory. Don’t have any regrets is what he told me so definitely go for it ! Best of luck and hope you feel better and get well !

·
Registered
158 Posts
At $100k you can easily finance with PenFed at very low interest, keep your cash and in a pinch sell the car if you have to. This allows you to have the car, your cash, and an exit plan at all times.

needless to say, I’m a big YES. Good luck buddy, we’re rooting for you.
x2

This!!

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
15,677 Posts
If you are Nashville based I’m in the area and have a Gallardo spyder if you want to go for a ride and evaluate one before you start your hunt. There’s probably 3 or 4 in town.
Quality people on this forum. ;)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts