Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps, my 4WD light is on, it’s been to the garage and they have tested the sender and bypassed the connector and the light still remains on, anyone else ever had this

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,207 Posts
Rocket99,
You recently joined: welcome, and thanks for contributing. You'll want to start oftentimes by doing a search in this forum. I just did for "4wd" and got a lot of hits, including my own recent one answering this question, here:
In short, the 4WD light is only triggered by the temp sensor on the forward differential. It is 160c sensor, above which turns the 4WD light on. I'm not aware of any other sensor toggling this light. Once the 4wd light is on, and stays on for a bit, your gear lube is fried nice and black and smelly. In my case, the lube itself boiled or overheated enough to run out of the pressure relief valve on the top, right side of the differential. From there, it drips down and back along the underneath of the car making a real mess and making dangerous the roadway for those behind me.

In my link above I went through several changes of this lube to the same result: at 32Kms travelled the light would come on and the lube was toasty. So, I did a 2WD conversion a month or so ago. Removing the diff, the sensor is wrapped and tucked out of the way so it is still connected to the car but temp sensor is not connected to the diff which is now removed. No 4WD warning light comes on -- it stays off until temp exceeds 160c. I have not yet taken apart my diff to see why it was overheating, though I suspect when I do to find perhaps a gear tooth messed up or similar. The only other thing I have yet to test was ride height. In my thread I mentioned I had ride height adjusted to 14.5cm which is factory spec. It was too low at 13.0cm and would bottom out into the wheel fender on bigger bumps. About 1,500 miles later the light came on and started recurring. So, myself and others have noticed new tires, new ride height, and different sized tires are all potential factors in what is apparently a fairly fickle diff design. However, I chose to go 2WD rather than risk burning up my lube and in turn ruining my differential.

Would you kindly report back your findings for benefit of myself and others? Good luck!

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,207 Posts
Rocket or Jr. Mint/Admin, would you please change the title of this thread from Headlights to 4WD or similar to make searching this thread in the future easy to find?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts