Lamborghini Talk banner

Headlight Lenses ..

3101 25
One of my headlight lenses got damaged / cracked because of a big stone chip while I was driving .. Do I need to replace the whole headlight unit or is there away I can just replace the glass lens only ?
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
The headlights can be split but I am not aware of any sources for just the headlight glass. New headlights are over $10K EACH so a used headlight is likely to be your only option.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Looks like the glass does show up by itself:

Too bad about no insurance coverage. I definitely recommend putting on some type of protector. I put thick clear bra on mine.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Looks like the glass does show up by itself:

Too bad about no insurance coverage. I definitely recommend putting on some type of protector. I put thick clear bra on mine.
did you make the clear bra? Or purchase one? If so, Where can one purchase one?

·
Registered
2005 Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster & 2007 Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 Coupe
300 Posts
If your replacing the glass anyway then you have little worry of damaging the glass. My headlights on roadster has the fog/haze so I refurbished myself. Getting glass off took hours but worth the effort. Looks like new. In your case. As long as you have new glas in hand, you can go to town to take damaged glass off. Clean up and out new glass on. Good luck.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The fogging is mainly due to an outgassing of the plastic that makes up the black portion of the headlight assembly. Putting anything on the inside of the lens will do nothing to help this as the gas has a certain degree of body that adheres itself to the lens. This process is totally different than typical fog which is moisture condensation.

As for the outside of the lens regular paint PPF is too thin to properly protect the lens. You want to use a much thicker product (also made by Xpel) on the lenses to try and offer some good impact resistance to the glass lens. Thinner products are good for plastic lenses where you are trying to protect against abrasion damage but a thicker film is needed to protect against the kind of impacts that can break the lens.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
The fogging is mainly due to an outgassing of the plastic that makes up the black portion of the headlight assembly. Putting anything on the inside of the lens will do nothing to help this as the gas has a certain degree of body that adheres itself to the lens. This process is totally different than typical fog which is moisture condensation.

As for the outside of the lens regular paint PPF is too thin to properly protect the lens. You want to use a much thicker product (also made by Xpel) on the lenses to try and offer some good impact resistance to the glass lens. Thinner products are good for plastic lenses where you are trying to protect against abrasion damage but a thicker film is needed to protect against the kind of impacts that can break the lens.
Thanks for the info.
If that’s the case, then has anyone applied XPel to the black portion of the headlight assembly? It would effectively block any release of gases. Thanks

·
Registered
310 Posts
Adding Xpel to the black portion would not work because of the complexity of shape and the texture. Any kind of sprayed finish would also likely out gas too. That said opening the lights and giving them a cleaning is not a terrible job and even if you do it once a decade you can keep the lights looking great.

The main thing to do is to change the small peanut bulb to an LED. The stock bulb gets very hot and will cause most of the issues including making the reflector turn brown from heat. An LED cures this and greatly reduces any fogging in the light assembly.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If you have fogging, you are going to have to take off the lenses no matter what, which is a big effort because of how they were glued so heavily from the factory. The glass is very easy to clean once the lenses are off.

Trying to prevent recurrence is a nice idea, but very hard to know if what you do will work because it could take 10 years to know if it worked. If it didn't, you are going to have to remove the glass again to clean it, so the better option is to glue the lenses back on in a way that will make it easy to take them off again.

I did a DIY with videos on removing the lenses and gluing them on so they are easy to get off again in the other Lambo--Power forum. If mine fog up again, it's an easy project to remove them, clean them, and put them back. And if I only have to do that every 10-15 years, it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
If you have fogging, you are going to have to take off the lenses no matter what, which is a big effort because of how they were glued so heavily from the factory. The glass is very easy to clean once the lenses are off.

Trying to prevent recurrence is a nice idea, but very hard to know if what you do will work because it could take 10 years to know if it worked. If it didn't, you are going to have to remove the glass again to clean it, so the better option is to glue the lenses back on in a way that will make it easy to take them off again.

I did a DIY with videos on removing the lenses and gluing them on so they are easy to get off again in the other Lambo--Power forum. If mine fog up again, it's an easy project to remove them, clean them, and put them back. And if I only have to do that every 10-15 years, it's not a big deal.
My understanding was that cleaning the headlights would only work for a couple years before refogging. That understanding must be wrong then. A WAG would say applying a solid mask film in the color of the plastic housing to the underside of the glass would prevent refogging. Anyhow, it’s good to know cleaning the headlights will buy you more than 5 years. Well worth doing. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
My understanding was that cleaning the headlights would only work for a couple years before refogging. That understanding must be wrong then. A WAG would say applying a solid mask film in the color of the plastic housing to the underside of the glass would prevent refogging. Anyhow, it’s good to know cleaning the headlights will buy you more than 5 years. Well worth doing. Thanks!
I believe it will happen again, but at 15 years, mine weren't very bad at all. I have seen some that don't have the fogging at all despite never being cleaned. Then I have seen some that are crazy bad, like the ones on that YouTuber from London. If it's off-gassing from the plastic, then you have to imagine that over time the off-gassing will become less, just like it becomes less in car interiors. So I bet it's a really long time until it does it again on my car. Again the hard part is breaking the glass for the first time, and you're not going to avoid that first time by doing anything preventative.

·
Registered
29 Posts

I don’t find your video!!!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I don’t find your video!!!
I don't know what happened to those videos, so I posted what I could find on my hard drive. Warning, these are rambling videos with no effort to make them "youtuber production quality," but if you need to open your headlights, they show the process and ways around the hurdles that no one else will show.

And the 6th video is here. This forum doesn't allow you to embed more than 5 videos.
https://youtu.be/DQl2RiPjJng

1 - 20 of 26 Posts