Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been down this unfortunate road before? Coming up dry trying to get a ballpark cost to replace. I see bullstufff has the gasket for around $600, but anyone here have any ideas on labor / typical cost to replace? Other suggested incidentals and wise "while-you're-in-there's"?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I looked as well. I could not find one post anywhere about needing a head gasket. I guess thats a good thing. Certainly not a common problem with these cars. Best to call a shop and ask them what the SRT time is to do this repair.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys; appreciate the input. I will put a call into Manhattan Motorcars Monday morning and see what they quote. I'm having trouble believing it ISN'T a head gasket, but would be great if it wasn't....just too much dense white smoke from one side for me to believe it isn't. Happened very suddenly right after starting the car - within 30 seconds as I was backing up - *poof* suddenly huge volumes of white smoke billowing out from the right hand tail pipe. :persevere:

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
I would do a compression check first
I am with djantlive.

clouds of white smoke means oil getting into the combustion chamber and then to exhaust side out of the engine.

Hopefully from a leaking head gasket, but maybe more likely oil out of the engine- piston?

cheers,
john

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the offer, Elite; will certainly consider.

From prior experience, I can say pretty confidently that it is coolant mixing with the exhaust; oil interference usually has more of a blue tint to it - this was very dense and very white and happened very suddenly. Thing that throws me off is the sweet (not maple syrup) high-octane odor that accompanied the smoke...almost like there was uncombusted fuel in there - which I supposed would make sense...never smelled anything quite like it and I've been playing the exotic game for the better part of 20 years. Just can't imagine what else it could be other than a breach in a cylinder or the head...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
…but most certainly would perform a full compression test before pulling the head; was just looking for more of a worst-case scenario if I had to take it into a shop, as well as get an idea of what the labor time estimate is on such a repair if anyone here had it done in the past.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Take it to jason at giannettiperformance. He is very good in what he does. Tell him john IMS sent you. He will take care of you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am with djantlive.

clouds of white smoke means oil getting into the combustion chamber and then to exhaust side out of the engine.

Hopefully from a leaking head gasket, but maybe more likely oil out of the engine- piston?

cheers,
john
Any self respecting automotive technician should be able to tell the difference between oil and antifreeze with one sniff of the exhaust. White smoke is never a good sign almost always antifreeze

·
Registered
246 Posts
Here is my suggestion, I own 07 Gallardo have all my work done by Jason Giannetti whos a former master technician of Lamborghini of Long Island. He was trained in Italy at the Lamborghini factory to work on these cars and I have seen him do countless engine out jobs on Gallardo's. There is not one guy who would be more suited for this job who will explain to you exactly what's wrong so you understand what you are actually repairing. He knows these cars like the back of his hand. The best part you will not find a better workmanship, parts price and a fair labor price. He is located at the address below with his contact number. Don't hesitate to ask him, you will not regret it. If you like to speak to me and find out what work he has done for me, no problem I can pm you my number tell you everything you need to hear.

Jason Giannetti - 516-398-2016
18 Railroad Ave
Valley Stream, NY

·
Registered
728 Posts
Jason did my clutch replacement and went over my gallardo with a fine tooth comb, fixing everything he could find, since I knew once it was shipped to me that I wouldn't have his services anymore. He's fair, knowledgeable and tries to save you money. A year after he had my car shipped to me he still answers questions. I have considered flying him out to nashville for an annual service and checkup on my spyder. He's exactly what you want in a lambo mechanic and a good dude.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts