Lamborghini Talk banner

Has Lambo given up on straightline speed?

7K views 69 replies 21 participants last post by  Human 
#1 ·
Before you post...

Yes, I understand that cars are more than just straight line speed.

Anyway, the Huracan EVO AWD is the fastest 1/4 mile production car Lambo has ever produced and yet it's also the slowest supercar from any of the big brands.

All these cars easily gap the EVO, some by multiple car lengths.
  • Ferrari F8 Tributo/488 Pista/SF90
  • McLaren 720S/765LT
  • Porsche 911 Turbo S (992)
  • Tesla Model S Plaid (simply added due to current zeitgeist)
  • (I'm not going to list hyper cars, for obvious reasons)
And again, before you say "But muh engine!" or "But muh interior!" or "But muh looks!" Yes, sure, as said before the H and A offer other things their competitors don't, which subjectively, make their owners happy. That's absolutely true, but objectively, on this specific issue Lambo is getting left behind big time by their competition. And straight line speed is definitely a key metric to supercars.

So the question is -- are they going to address this with their hybrid future? Or just focus on other factors?

See less See more
#2 ·
The biggest issue right now is they can't squeeze more HP out of the NA engines and the cars are not getting any lighter so they've hit a brick wall.

I do expect the replacement A and H both hitting under 3 sec 0-60 times. I reckon the A replacement will be in the mid 2's and pushing close to a 1000HP.

#44 ·
The biggest issue right now is they can't squeeze more HP out of the NA engines and the cars are not getting any lighter so they've hit a brick wall.
You need weight for top speed, according to everyone who has done Bonneville.
They are artificially limiting the top speed.
It's cheaper to engineer tires for 217 than it is for 240, because the higher-speed tires are so limited in market share that they become expensive.
Besides, people don't buy Lambos for top speed. How many do you know have even hit the speed limiter yet?

But, speaking for myself, I want all the top speed I can get, but I don't want to drive faster than my tires, so to speak.
The Bugatti, er Chevron or Croissant or whatever it was had tires that cost 42 grand per set. Lambo is not into that level of expense. They could use the same tires that the Chiron does, however, and I am surprised they do not.

But, the limiting thing is tires/expense, I think. Maybe liability if someone Cruise Missiles the thing into a hospital at Mach 0.3?

#3 ·
I don't see them not making sales because of this. Lamborghini has never followed the crowd because they don't need to. They may be getting left behind in straight line speed but not at the track. Don't forget the Perf and SVJ is number three and six respectively as best times ever for production cars at the Nürburgring. Who knows what the STO is going to do? One could easily say from the list above when are these other manufacturers going to get better lap times. Lap times are also a key metric to supercars.

#4 ·
I bet the hybrid replacement is much faster.

Lambo is smart right now to offer a naturally aspirated alternative to the competition. It's the only reason I want one. No reason for them to invest in a brand new FI powerplant when the replacement in 2-3 years is going to be hybrid.

The hottest cars on the market right now are GT3s, Huracan EVOs, and 458s because there won't be any more high revving NA cars in the future.

#6 ·
I bet the hybrid replacement is much faster.

Lambo is smart right now to offer a naturally aspirated alternative to the competition. It's the only reason I want one. No reason for them to invest in a brand new FI powerplant when the replacement in 2-3 years is going to be hybrid.

The hottest cars on the market right now are GT3s, Huracan EVOs, and 458s because there won't be any more high revving NA cars in the future.
Bingo.

Buyers are flocking to the NA engines and guess who's got the NA V10 and V12.

And Winkelmann is a brilliant CEO and sales person, He knows where the supercar market is heading in the short term and he's already put it out there that the next 2 years will be a celebration of the NA engine.

#8 ·
After a certain speed, what’s the point? Most will never need or use the full power of these cars. It’s gotta be just for bragging rights. With Tesla’s new 1.9 Sec 0-60 there’s no point in chasing the others. Lamborghini is seldom the first but always the best in so many ways. There was a time when 0-60 times were important to me, but now I realize my car is so much more than that alone. JMO:)

#23 ·
30 year old me would definitely want a 720s or 765lt.

But I’ve been there and done that. Being faster than my friends was very important. Modified cars to way over 1000hp. Did drag racing, Texas Mile, road racing, street racing. Now I’m a boomer at 38. I just want to hit redline and hear that glorious v10 on the way to lunch and have fun driving without caring if someone next to me has a faster car. It’s really hard to beat a naturally aspirated motor for fun.

#29 ·
You can mod an old piece of junk for a fraction of the cost of a supercar and it'll beat most supercar 0-60 and quarter mile times with ease.

I don't get the feeling that straightline speed is near the top of most Lamborghini owner wishlists, and the company knows this which is why it clearly isn't their primary focus.

#33 · (Edited)
Probably cause wing hurts on a short run
Good point, a wing although decorative substantially impacts the power, top speed, and handling of our Bulls especially those ever-questionable aftermarket Wings. A wing that was designed for the Bull with appropriate manufacturer adjustments to the cars overall design is not as bad but still ultimately compromises the Bull's 0 to 60 times.
Though, alas, on the track the wing comes into its own and has purpose.

#35 ·
Sorry if I missed anything because I mostly only read the OP, but I remember sharing an article here that said Lamborghini is done with straightline speed and will move on to being the king of curves.

If true, I would much prefer that anyway. Straight lines are even more uneventful than racing in a circle, and electric cars will be outdoing everyone at this game anyway. Think of the new Model S. Compare the new advancements in ALA, steering, and other aero seen on SVJ or Perf and isn't that far more exciting than decades ago when all they would have done to the Countach is add power? From my pov, it shows Lamborghini is thinking ahead.

#36 ·
OP if you long for straight line performnace and also enjoy cornering, just TT your Huracan. The V10 is all but bulletproof and for not too much money you can get 1000hp+ that will beat almost anything off the shelf. I can tune my car to factory settings ( 650hp ) by pressing the Strata all go all out with 1100hp on Corsa mode. I wish I did this sooner, it has transformed my ride into a hypercar. BTW I do use the power as we have monthly roll racing events here in Sydney

#38 ·
VF Kit will get you to around 850 hp and that is enough for me and cost installed under $45k. After supercharging 2 R8's and my first huracan and putting over 40k combined on their kits with not a single issue this is the way I will go with new Evo. Also great that it will be installed 30 minutes from me and will take 3-4 days

#39 ·
Are you going to wait until the warranty has expired for the install? How long does it take to do the install? Any downsides that you have experienced?

If I was so inclined I would have to ferret out an installer here in Central Texas.....anyone know of any installers in or close to Central Texas?

#40 ·
I'm not 100% sure I will do it yet. Will get car and put a couple thousand miles on car before I decide. Coupe will be faster than my current spyder and if I can get 0-60's at under 2.5 and 1/4 around 10 I may keep it stock. But if I decide I want more then VF will be what I go with. No downside at all from experience with supercharging, car behaves exactly like stock until you want the extra power and keeps the car feeling more NA than going turbo's. Install on my lp610 took 3 1/2 days and I'm sure you can find many component shops in your area to do install. VF will also give you names of shops they recommend.

Reactions: Lambo2018
#54 ·
Great video, 2.3 sec to 60 and under 10sec 1/4 is crazy fast.

#61 ·
I have talked with Nik a few times over the years, great guy and very knowledgeable. After my experience of using their kits on both my R8's and Huracan LP610 it is the only option for me

#67 · (Edited)
Answer: The challenge.

The challenge, to me, is to make the extra induction pressure as transparent and inobtrusive as possible, I mean, short of just slapping in a 9.0L Lambo offshore powerboat engine and calling'er done.

Examine which blower produce which boost at which heat levels. Some blowers add more heat to the intake charge for the same boost level, which is an indication of inefficiency. Good luck getting any makers to provide statistics on this. you may have to rig up a test rig yourself and drive it with an electric motor.

Example: 5000 RPM blower snout speed, stuffing air through a controlled orifice, results for example: 11PSI, 180 degrees F.
Then match all the other blowers to that 11PSI, with same orifice, and check RPM of blower snout, and degrees F.
Also, monitor amp draw of electric motor, and you will have a good idea of your power input to the blower.

It just depends on how thorough you want to be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.