Lamborghini Talk banner

Has Lambo given up on straightline speed?

5467 Views 69 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  Human
Before you post...

Yes, I understand that cars are more than just straight line speed.

Anyway, the Huracan EVO AWD is the fastest 1/4 mile production car Lambo has ever produced and yet it's also the slowest supercar from any of the big brands.

All these cars easily gap the EVO, some by multiple car lengths.
  • Ferrari F8 Tributo/488 Pista/SF90
  • McLaren 720S/765LT
  • Porsche 911 Turbo S (992)
  • Tesla Model S Plaid (simply added due to current zeitgeist)
  • (I'm not going to list hyper cars, for obvious reasons)
And again, before you say "But muh engine!" or "But muh interior!" or "But muh looks!" Yes, sure, as said before the H and A offer other things their competitors don't, which subjectively, make their owners happy. That's absolutely true, but objectively, on this specific issue Lambo is getting left behind big time by their competition. And straight line speed is definitely a key metric to supercars.

So the question is -- are they going to address this with their hybrid future? Or just focus on other factors?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
17,388 Posts
After a certain speed, what’s the point? Most will never need or use the full power of these cars. It’s gotta be just for bragging rights. With Tesla’s new 1.9 Sec 0-60 there’s no point in chasing the others. Lamborghini is seldom the first but always the best in so many ways. There was a time when 0-60 times were important to me, but now I realize my car is so much more than that alone. JMO:)
Russ all excellent points. Heck I got my EVO, when I had an EVO ;) , up to 175mph pretty quickly without much effort so, you are right, at some point enough is enough.

· Registered
17,388 Posts
Sounds like 720s. It's a perfect exotic... Minus the weird UFO looks, poor resale, bad reliablity and weak exhaust note.
Well, that about sums it up! :giggle:
does anyone really care at this point? theres a limit to how much speed you can enjoy on the road and we got there years ago
Game, set, match..........The EVO is plenty fast even with "only" 602 hp, and always brought a big smile to my face.

· Registered
17,388 Posts
You can mod an old piece of junk for a fraction of the cost of a supercar and it'll beat most supercar 0-60 and quarter mile times with ease.

I don't get the feeling that straightline speed is near the top of most Lamborghini owner wishlists, and the company knows this which is why it clearly isn't their primary focus.
Excellent points. The Lamborghinis's are fast in their own right but they are much, much more......................it's the total package that creates the magic.

· Registered
17,388 Posts
Probably cause wing hurts on a short run
Good point, a wing although decorative substantially impacts the power, top speed, and handling of our Bulls especially those ever-questionable aftermarket Wings. A wing that was designed for the Bull with appropriate manufacturer adjustments to the cars overall design is not as bad but still ultimately compromises the Bull's 0 to 60 times.
Though, alas, on the track the wing comes into its own and has purpose.

· Registered
17,388 Posts
OP if you long for straight line performnace and also enjoy cornering, just TT your Huracan. The V10 is all but bulletproof and for not too much money you can get 1000hp+ that will beat almost anything off the shelf. I can tune my car to factory settings ( 650hp ) by pressing the Strata all go all out with 1100hp on Corsa mode. I wish I did this sooner, it has transformed my ride into a hypercar. BTW I do use the power as we have monthly roll racing events here in Sydney
The pricing for the Stage 3 plus gets a little pricey at $175K USD at Underground Racing. Are those prices inline with what you know?

· Registered
17,388 Posts
VF Kit will get you to around 850 hp and that is enough for me and cost installed under $45k. After supercharging 2 R8's and my first huracan and putting over 40k combined on their kits with not a single issue this is the way I will go with new Evo. Also great that it will be installed 30 minutes from me and will take 3-4 days
Are you going to wait until the warranty has expired for the install? How long does it take to do the install? Any downsides that you have experienced?

If I was so inclined I would have to ferret out an installer here in Central Texas.....anyone know of any installers in or close to Central Texas?

· Registered
17,388 Posts
Eurocharged in Round Rock can definitely handle any kid of aftermarket mods. The guy that owns the shop Adam is also an awesome dude.

The VF supercharged cars make 600-650hp at the wheels.

The AMS turbo kit which is $48,000 installed makes ~900hp at the wheels. Audi R8 Alpha 10 Twin Turbo Package (Installed) - AMSPerformance.com

But the supercharger does maintain that linear power band similar to a NA car. The turbo cars are stupid fast and probably too fast for most people for the street. They're popular with guys that like to make high speed pulls.
Thanks, for your detailed post. It has provided a few choices with points of contact which I have dutifully annotated and put on speed dial. ;)

· Registered
17,388 Posts
If you like close-to-naturally-aspirated behavior but love the dog-cringing turbo whistle, get custom cams that massively favor the bottom end of the RPM range, that would make the car peak at around 4000RPM naturally aspirated, (but still with events suiting a turbo) then add turbos to it, which will be rapidly energized at ultra-low revs (für ein turbomotor) then carry the top end FAR FAR past what a naturally-aspirated V12 could do.

This will give you all the power you could ever toke, and no surprise ass-first-into-ditch surprise of the top-spec Ferrari F40 Stradale edition, for example.

What ruins the turbo experience is lack of intelligent engineering. No one needs 200 hp at 5000RPm then 700 at 5,001, but too many turbos don't run power-band-widening "diesel truck"-flavored cams to spread the power out far, by producing plenty of cylinder filling and exhaust gas energy to spin those little windmills up at lower RPM, so it is press gas, wait, wait, wait, then call tow truck.

Now, if you get some kind of weird kick from feeling like a giant kicked punted your car over some far-off goalpasts at 6000 RPM, and are pointed in a straight line far from the sane people, then go for it, but giant compressor wheels and cam it like an F1 car, but be ready to treat your car at all times like you are riding with a knife-wielding crazy ex-gf who loves to smooch like a gourami but can also surprise you by cutting you at any moment.

But, to each his own; I used to sell turbo cars by getting them just moving, throwing them in 3rd gear and stomping on it, and waaaaiting for the turbo rush to REALLY demonstrate the power and fling us forward.

If your performance shop doesn't touch the cam when installing a turbo, install a different shop.
Thanks my friend for both the information and the education. I am very new to sports cars and super cars so I have a steep learning curve.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts