Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2004 Pre-LP, manual.

For the last 2 days I've been rebuilding my TBs. Hopefully to fix the idle surge problem that almost all of these cars have. Instead of going to XeMODeX, I decided to do it myself. They use off the shelf parts, they arent special, surely it can be done in your garage?

Sort of. They use a Sacer TPS. I bought a Sacer TPS. I installed it, wired it up properly, and it actually works. The car starts, drives, and idles better than it ever has. The idle is perfectly smooth, it doesnt rev itself up in neutral anymore, it worked!

Only one little hiccup. The car doesnt understand how to handle the new TPS. It clearly isnt calibrated properly. The car feels like it has no horsepower. I was data logging during the test drive, and during WOT (pedal all the way down), the ECU says the TB is only 46% open. It feels like its only 46% open, too. It seems like the pedal is only doing about fraction of what it was doing before. (If any of you try to sell me a sprint booster, god help me) In some cases, when slowing down, I would get a battery light flashing. I figured my alternator belt was slipping, but I'm pretty sure the engine was actually stalling due to how low the RPM would drop. It would hit 700, 500, and at one point hit 445 before the engine totally died. Lost all power steering and braking. Almost hit my fence.

So the TBs do work, the idle surge is gone, but I need to find a way to calibrate them. The FSM states the following: "Turn the engine on and warm it up until water and oil are higher than 90C. Drive 10 km. Now the system starts a "self learning".

I could swear that I did the above, but maybe not. This has me thinking either the TPS just isnt going to work for some reason, or I need a TEXA/LARA to force it to recalibrate, or maybe something else. I feel like I'm 99% there. I cant find any evidence of anybody doing this before on these cars. It would be awesome if we could get it figured out. I'd make a writeup of everything I've done so far and people could stop blowing thousands on rebuilt units or "new" units. Later tonight I'm going to be checking all the ground wires and I'll try to do that self learning thing.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
@SanjaySchulz this sounds like something youd know about. You have a LARA, right?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi 🖐 (Phill from FB) hope we can figure this out for the community! 1050 for the same service that is 550 for a volvo is just ridiculous.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If we can figure out what the pin out on the throttle bodys are id be happy to try and get readings of the module powered up, but it doesn't seem like the gallardo leaves them powered after the initial self check.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Working with glumpy3 to get it going. He has his OEM throttle bodies apart and is helping me out by giving me reference voltage. I think we are very close to getting it working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts