Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My car is a 2004 with the manual transmission. When I bought the car I knew it had a bad 2nd gear synchro. I ordered a synchro. No problem. As I put more miles on it I keep thinking that it would be much improved with shorter gear ratios. If you take it to redline anywhere other than the highway you're in go-to-jail speed territory. In comparison with my miata that I can wind out in traffic with nobody knowing, its a bit difficult to use this car around town.

I cant for the life of me figure out compatibility. Apparently the early 04s had a different shaft size than the 06 cars, so you cant just swap the gears. Apparently the 2009+ cars had a totally different transmission housing and everything mounts differently so you cant easily do a trans swap, and I cant find any information on whether the internals can be swapped easily. Dana/Graziano have no resources at all for determining compatibility either, which doesnt help. I contacted UGR and Dallas, but they apparently dont make custom gear ratios for the 04 anymore. Its looking like my only realistic option is to swap in the trans from a 2006 car, but thats $12,000 and I cant help but think that there has to be a better way. This information just doesnt exist online, though. The car would be so much more usable around town with shorter gears, but I dont think it makes sense at $12k. Thats just ridiculous.

I found these two ebay listings, but have no clue if these would swap in. I've also learned that the transmission was sometimes updated or slightly changed between model years. My early 04 gearbox is different from later 04 gearboxes (at least according to the only reliable source i have)

2009 Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 - Used Transmission Gear Set & Internals | eBay
2009 Lamborghini LP560 - Used Rear Differential - Includes Ring and Pinion | eBay

Has anyone done this? Anything you learned from doing it would be helpful. Cant believe how little information there is out there about this gearbox

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Contact John at HCF autosports. They manuf custom gear sets for the Graziano.

Yes, I did. Thats actually who I ordered the synchro from.
Quoted me $10k - $14k for the swap if I ordered new parts from him. He told me it would be easier and cheaper to just swap the trans.

He, somewhat understandably, has no interest in giving me info about those ebay parts. I've asked twice about whether it will fit and hes ignored the question both times, probably because theres no financial incentive there since hes not the seller. Thats why I'm posting this. I asked if he would sell/share the compatibility info he has, but he told me there isnt any compatibility data and hes under NDA for a variety of things and therefore can only help so much with some of the questions I had. Makes sense. Just not going to spend $14k on gears.

·
Registered
2013 LP560 TT
165 Posts
Yes, I did. Thats actually who I ordered the synchro from.
Quoted me $10k - $14k for the swap if I ordered new parts from him. He told me it would be easier and cheaper to just swap the trans.

He, somewhat understandably, has no interest in giving me info about those ebay parts. I've asked twice about whether it will fit and hes ignored the question both times, probably because theres no financial incentive there since hes not the seller. Thats why I'm posting this. I asked if he would sell/share the compatibility info he has, but he told me there isnt any compatibility data and hes under NDA for a variety of things and therefore can only help so much with some of the questions I had. Makes sense. Just not going to spend $14k on gears.
Can’t help with the compatibility question but I would say — buy the later trans, sell the earlier trans, not much of a financial hit I bet.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can’t help with the compatibility question but I would say — buy the later trans, sell the earlier trans, not much of a financial hit I bet.
Thats true. I could sell the early trans. Just have to make sure the new ones will mount up correctly. Also have to make sure they actually sell. Only sold one I can see right now went for under 5k

·
Registered
807 Posts
Do a search, there was a guy that converted a 04 or 05 to the later (06+) gear ratio trans. There is more to it than just changing the Trans, you need the axles too as they are different on later cars. I don't remember what else it needed but it was more than the guy expected at first.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do a search, there was a guy that converted a 04 or 05 to the later (06+) gear ratio trans. There is more to it than just changing the Trans, you need the axles too as they are different on later cars. I don't remember what else it needed but it was more than the guy expected at first.
I think you're talking about this one: Gearbox swap

This is the thread where I learned the bellhousing is different, among some other things on the 2008+. I'm not sure if the 2006 is the same way. This is why I was really hoping to just swap internals. I emailed a few more companies about having gears produced. If I can get custom gears made for my corvette for $2500, theres no reason I shouldnt be able to have that done on this car. Seems like the only realistic option aside from that 2009 gear set on ebay, but theres no way to confirm it will fit.

·
Registered
254 Posts
change the gear ratio through the final drive gears. its the cheapest and easiest way. should be around 5-6k installed.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
change the gear ratio through the final drive gears. its the cheapest and easiest way. should be around 5-6k installed.
I thought about it, but there are some issues
On the 04 cars, 1st gear ends at 61mp, 2nd gear ends at 84mph, and in 6th gear you can cruise at 70mph at 2900rpm.
On the 06 cars, 1st gear ends at 47mph, 2nd gear ends at 76mph, and in 6th gear you can cruise at 70mph at 2800rpm.

The 06 sounds perfect. Shorter 1st and 2nd and retains your ability to cruise on the highway. If I tried to get the same effect in 1st and 2nd gear by just changing the final drive, my 70mph cruising RPM in 6th would be something like 3800rpm.

Its a bit cheaper and its the way to go when you want every gear to be shorter or you want a small change, but I think for what I want it would be too drastic of a change for swapping the final drive to be a viable solution.

The above is calculated with the info I could find online, which isnt very easy to find. The final drive of the 06+ cars isnt easy to find. Gear ratios are published, but FD isnt for some reason. Going off of a forum post where someone counted the teeth. There is some info online saying the FD is 3.077, some info saying its 3.82. I'm pretty sure its 3.82, as the 3.077 figure comes from a website that describes the gallardo as a 5 speed. I would love to discover that I have a bad source for this info and changing the FD would get close to what I want, but I dont think thats the case.

Edit: Also there is a road and track spec sheet which contradicts everything online about the drivetrain. They say the final drive is 4.06. The ebay link above counts the teeth and comes out to 3.08, which doesnt make sense to me because I've heard people say that 1st gear in the 06 ends at 40mph. Did the LP560 change even further? Can anyone with an 06 or lp560 chime in with what mph youre at in 1st at 8k?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
There was someone that posted here years ago and did this very conversion.

Search harder.

If I remember correctly, he bought a new transmission and I believe he needed to buy special adapters for his rear CV joints. All in all, it seemed like a very doable conversion.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I linked it above. Just going to forget about it for now. More trouble than its worth.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not a useful comment, but I just bought an 04. The gears are SO long. I can't help but imagine how much more punchy and fun it would be with shorter gears. Not to mention the drivability and longevity for the clutch, having way less load coming off a stop. My biggest gripe with the car, the gearing is just crazy long. I want to drive an 06, but I'm afraid I'll like it too much.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yep. It almost ruins the car being unable to redline it on the street without being at 70mph. I cant find any cheap way to do this. A trans is $12 - $14k, gears are $10k, John at HCF doesnt have any, the guy at Developro is delusional and wont tell anyone the ratios for his super duper top secret gears. Told me to go somewhere else when I asked him what the ratios were and acted like I was crazy when I told him I wasnt going to buy gears without knowing the specs. Really annoying since thats the only good price I've found so far at $4500. UGR and Dallas dont support the 04 anymore. Its just impossible. I've given up on it for now. I'll look into it again next time I need a clutch. Will probably have to just have custom ratios made, which is honestly the way to go. I've had custom gears made for cars in the past. $3500 - $5000 is the cost. Since this is a Lamborghini everyone who has a product wants to charge a lamborghini tax, basically doubling the price for no good reason.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My exact thinking, I came from an R8 and I could wind out 3rd gear where I'd maybe be top of 2nd in the G. There's an irony since me and my buddies would make fun of our friend having a GT4 with "long gears" lol. If/when you find a machinist to make some gears or whenever you locate some, please post back. No problem shelving it for now and brainstorming!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My exact thinking, I came from an R8 and I could wind out 3rd gear where I'd maybe be top of 2nd in the G. There's an irony since me and my buddies would make fun of our friend having a GT4 with "long gears" lol. If/when you find a machinist to make some gears or whenever you locate some, please post back. No problem shelving it for now and brainstorming!
You could try posting on the GT40 forums. Those guys use the graziano L140 like us and theres a lot more dev work over there. I was going to do it but I'm a bit over it right now. Maybe youll have better luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts