Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My '06 spyder spit this out after my most recent drive. Seems to have come from around dead center forward of engine. I've had the top / engine cover actuators fail previously, but it occurred while it was in for a different service so I never got to see the fluid. Think this fluid is the hydraulic fluid they may use? Obviously not engine oil so at least there's that lol.

Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
Just a WAG power steering fluid or engine coolant?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Had an oil consistency to it when I wiped it up, so not coolant, but yeah, power steering could be an option. :-(

Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
Interesting, possibility?

Registered
Like thick/viscous oil consistency?

I know coolant can have a little oiliness to it and it's usually got a blue tint and dead center front of the engine are the notorious hose clamps that get loose when it's cold. Last summer I put two new clamps in on 1 hose and gave it a nice squeeze after 4 winters of noticing small drips which always required retightening. Last winter was the first time it didn't do it.

I don't think the other fluids in the car have a blue tint, so I don't think it's PS or eGear and definitely not Motor Oil. It could by the hydraulic top fluid, but I don't know what color that is and even if it leaked if that's where it would leak from, though it's possible. Does your top open/close like usual? There is a container for the hydraulic top fluid I want to say behind your seat in the center of that "wall" it's self contained and has no area to leak, unless it's a failed oring or hose though. Also could be from the hydraulic struts... but there really isn't one in the center, just that container with the pump, I believe.

Registered
Pretty sure thats coolant. It's not puddling like oil would. E gear oil is clear. Coolant does have a slimy oily feel to it. Smell it. Does it smell sweet? If so its coolant. Especially if its coming from the center of the car in front of the motor.

Registered
I'd agree it's coolant. reservoir is on the far right and travels down the center to mid section of the engine. Check your reservoir and see how much fluid you have.

Registered
Oh, on Spyders the reservoir is dead center in front of the rear bumper.

However the infamous "coolant hose pipe leaks when it's cold" is right in front of the engine, behind the driver, in the center. I've never seen it leak like that though, usually just a drop or two. So the hose clamps are probably loose or busted, needs to be replaced. Can do it yourself pretty easily if that's the case, just have to get the rear wheels up so you can crawl underneath to swap it out. I'd tell the OP to put 2 like I did.

Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
OP, let us know the verdict for forum member reference after you have ferreted the source of the leak out.

Registered
Judging by the way the fluid tracked on a relatively flat surface, it is not very viscous. It's either coolant or washer fluid. The G11 coolant that came in the Gallardo is definitely that color, but, so is common washer fluid. The washer fluid reservoir is also right next to (just above) the coolant pipes others have referred to. If it feels oily at all though, I'd guess it's G11 coolant. Five minutes under the car will of course completely answer the question of what it is and where it's coming from.

Registered
My '06 spyder spit this out after my most recent drive. Seems to have come from around dead center forward of engine. I've had the top / engine cover actuators fail previously, but it occurred while it was in for a different service so I never got to see the fluid. Think this fluid is the hydraulic fluid they may use? Obviously not engine oil so at least there's that lol. View attachment 291627
Semen?

Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
Windshield wiper fluid dries relatively quickly while coolant does not. If it was there more than two days and it is still liquid it鈥檚 coolant.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Will let you all know once I have it taken in. I'll probably jack it up and determine for sure; definitely not wiper fluid, but I'm hoping for hydraulic so it's still drivable, won't risk it if it's coolant/steering-related.

Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
I鈥檓 going with coolant. I had a hydraulic leak in my first Gallardo and it was thicker and definitely not green. Coolant is sweet due to ethylene glycol whereas hydraulic is not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts