Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Too many potential problems
Every mile you drive, which translates to the over pay for a car like this will kill the value.
Either you buy it and put it away or do not consider this purchase

·
Registered
140 Posts
I know some people are really into preservation, but lack of "maintenance miles" is not preservation. If you really were into museum pieces, find a car past 100k miles for $70k, put another $100k into bringing it back to perfection, and then retire it. It would be half the cost, the car would have a history of being enjoyed, and you would have the pride and bragging rights of having added value to the car yourself.

For me, the turn around point is about 1000 miles a year. Below that, I start taking money away from the value to account for increased maintenance.

Reactions: Rainier G

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It'd make a great twin for mine. I could have one to drive the hell out of, and one to always be clean and perfect to look at :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I know some people are really into preservation, but lack of "maintenance miles" is not preservation. If you really were into museum pieces, find a car past 100k miles for $70k, put another $100k into bringing it back to perfection, and then retire it. It would be half the cost, the car would have a history of being enjoyed, and you would have the pride and bragging rights of having added value to the car yourself.

For me, the turn around point is about 1000 miles a year. Below that, I start taking money away from the value to account for increased maintenance.
This is true from personal experience

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Depends on how stored.
Not really
Cars are meant to be used
That’s why they have oil, fluids, etc.
Non use never is good.
Gaskets and rubber deteriorate over time no matter what.
Things may look ok until you drive and boom! Something breaks or a hose squirts off it’s connection.
This low of mileage is not a plus unless you will never drive this car. It’s a museum piece...period.
And every time you drive it not only do you have fear of catastrophe, but every
Mile will cost you maximum depreciation.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Not really
Cars are meant to be used
That’s why they have oil, fluids, etc.
Non use never is good.
Gaskets and rubber deteriorate over time no matter what.
Things may look ok until you drive and boom! Something breaks or a hose squirts off it’s connection.
This low of mileage is not a plus unless you will never drive this car. It’s a museum piece...period.
And every time you drive it not only do you have fear of catastrophe, but every
Mile will cost you maximum depreciation.
There are cars in collections that are stored properly and driven rarely. They are fine. It all depends. In general it is not good to let a car sit in your garage I agree.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,319 Posts
1,000-1,500 miles per year is a must in my book. You have to keep it lubed and importantly you have to experience any issues like blown hoses, weeping clamps, etc. so you can attend to them. you have to circulate the brake fluid and keep the master cylinder from rusting and freezing up, you need to cycle gas through the tank and lines and injectors, etc. sure you can have a car in museum quality and run it occasionally but certainly not reliably in that condition or for that matter safely at any higher speeds

these are Lamborghinis.... meant to be driven hard!

·
Registered
761 Posts
There are cars in collections that are stored properly and driven rarely. They are fine. It all depends. In general it is not good to let a car sit in your garage I agree.
I think the issue here is that they are "driven rarely" so yes they'd be fine, because they continue to NOT drive it, which is usually the case for collections.

Pretty much 100% of all the cars that have been collector/garage queens, then have started to be driven, have experienced issues.

I'd agree with Diablo, at min I'd want to see 1500 miles a year if it's something I intend to drive. This car is a museum piece.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
My Huracan had only 1000 miles over its first 34 months and required a 30 hour out engine repair with over 100 parts to fix a timing chain cover leak so although it was almost brand new when I bought it hadn’t been driven enough. Fortunately goodwill repair otherwise would have been 5 figures easy.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
My Huracan had only 1000 miles over its first 34 months and required a 30 hour out engine repair with over 100 parts to fix a timing chain cover leak so although it was almost brand new when I bought it hadn’t been driven enough. Fortunately goodwill repair otherwise would have been 5 figures easy.
Not an isolated incident

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,319 Posts
While I agree in premise, surfah, that sounds like a manufacturing defect not a casualty of not driving it enough. No?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Sadly, I've seen this commonly happen all too often, even to newish BMW and Porsche and Toyota's

I had a private tour of Lamborghini's factory where I spoke with an engineer and he emphasized that these cars need to be driven just like Ferrucio wanted them to be.

What he said more interestingly was that they are now not allowed to use certain metals and other newly deemed "toxic" materials in their gaskets or paints, thereby making them more susceptible to dry rot and paint chips respectively. This has been the case now for about 25 years.

If you drive an older 1980s car you'll notice how much thicker and more chip resistant the paint is compared to something from the late 90s, this being one of the reasons. The other reason is they make the paint thinner to actually save weight.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts