Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, havent posted in a but just wanted to see what your guys think of my new plate. I got it for my dad, (thought of it myself ) but now relaized that i got "4wd" and have been thinking i should have gotten "AWD"..what are your thoughts on it? What is the difference between the two!?? My friends are telling me that 4wd is for trucks and awd for cars, but i dont know? THanks, stew

·
Registered
138 Posts
I always thought, which typically means that I am wrong, but 4WD means that you can put the car/truck into 2WD or 4WD depending on your conditions. AWD means that it ALWAYS has all four wheels pulling for it. I could be wrong, but thats how I have always referred to them. In my opinion though, people won't really care what your plates say. I however, do like how you got it and when it gets time to renew you can make the decision to change it to AWD or leave it be.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
paith said:
I always thought, which typically means that I am wrong, but 4WD means that you can put the car/truck into 2WD or 4WD depending on your conditions. AWD means that it ALWAYS has all four wheels pulling for it. I could be wrong, but thats how I have always referred to them.
Some other subtle differences... while AWD does mean that all four wheels always have some level of power going to them it may not be 50/50 front back. The lambo VT is typically 17% to the front. While it maybe possible to place a 4wd vehicle into 2wd, 4wd implies having a selection where all four wheels get the same power and locked hubs (ie the 4wd LO selection in vehicles with HI/LO or even manually locking hubs). This is what makes off roading possible - thus 4wd is normally associated with the ability to go offroad and AWD is normally associated with on road handling etc.

Try off roading in the Diablo VT and you risk damage to the VT unit ;)

-mick

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
bmxpert57 said:
My friends are telling me that 4wd is for trucks and awd for cars
Maybe typical but not correct.
bmxpert57 said:
but now relaized that i got "4wd" and have been thinking i should have gotten "AWD"..what are your thoughts on it?
Strangely, even if 4wd is not technically correct it may relate to more people??? But if you want "awd v12" you might want to at least reserve it quick... it is still available I see...

-mick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts