Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

This is my very first post and I'm glad to be part of this great community now. I would like to thank you all in advance for any input you might be able to give me.

I own a 2019 Huracan Performante and I wonder if anyone here has already converted their carbon ceramic brake discs to iron discs (namely the kit from girodisc). Anyone tracking their perfs and regular huracans as well?

If so, how have been girodisc discs longevity, braking performance and how it has been impacting handling, accel, decel, etc (considering the increased unsprung mass)?

I have already tracked the Perf once (for about 30-40min) in my local international Portimão circuit in Portugal (it has been part of F1 calendar for the last 2 years). The track is amazing btw.

After 4/5 laps, weird smell came and then brakes started to fade somewhat badly. Pedal was spongy and a lot of pedal travel was required to brake. Braking confidence was going down quickly after a few laps. Only after a considerable period of cool down I got somewhat normal brakes back. This was during summer time and ambient temps were 30ºC+ so it was hot. Sure the stock brake fluid is not up to the task and boiled (motul 600 should be replacing the stock fluid soon), CCMs are not good at cooling and transmit heat to the pads and the fluid, but what really worries me (and after reading a lot of it afterwards) is how short CCM brakes lifespan is when used in the track and how expensive they are (I know there's now another ceramic alternative which is supposed to last up to 15.000 miles but it is still very expensive when compared to the giros and only makes sense if you're really going to track 15.000 miles).

The car might be in the track 5-10 times a year for about 1 hour each (I'd say max of 1.400km/875 miles a year in the track).

This is a very quick track and very high speeds are achieved before many of the hard braking corners.

I'm really considering getting girodiscs discs and street/strip pads but would like to know if anyone else here has experience with them. And probably I won't mind swapping in between ceramic and iron setup whenever I go to the track.

PS: I'm surprised how lambo made the perf for track usage but braking performance is "there" for only a few laps. There are even no ducts for the brakes. STO got a significantly improved braking system but the perf already deserved it.

Thank you all again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
spongy brakes most likely due to brake moisture ( hygroscopic ), I will recommend Castrol SRF brake oil instead of Motul 600 if you consider tracking your Huracan.

·
Registered
27 Posts
btw, prior to change disc/pads, try brake oil first.

I track my 2019 Porsche GT3RS, and did replace the carbon disc/pads with Girodisc/Ferodo pads. The main reason don't want to spend over $25k for new disc/pads, also there's more brake pads selection for steel rotors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spongy brakes most likely due to brake moisture ( hygroscopic ), I will recommend Castrol SRF brake oil instead of Motul 600 if you consider tracking your Huracan.
As I mentioned in my post I'll be switching to Motul 600. I might avoid the castrol SRF for now. From what I found, the SRF might potentially/eventually cause caliper leaks down the road.

btw, prior to change disc/pads, try brake oil first.

I track my 2019 Porsche GT3RS, and did replace the carbon disc/pads with Girodisc/Ferodo pads. The main reason don't want to spend over $25k for new disc/pads, also there's more brake pads selection for steel rotors.
The reason why I consider changing to girodiscs for the track is also the cost of replacing the ceramic setup and what seems to be a relatively reduced lifespan of the ceramic rotors when heavily used in the track.

By the way, in terms of braking performance, longevity, handling, acceleration, deceleration, what were your impressions on the GT3RS when you changed from ceramic to steel?

Thank you very much for having replied.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used to own/track a 991.1 Porsche GT3 with Girodisc, PFC 11 brake pads, Spielger brake lines & Ate type 200, this combination did really improves breaking a LOT, always was confident my car really stop and NO fading. This braking set up was used for more than 9 DE. Then I bought the 991.2 GT3 RS, first DE went with original PCCB, the car did really brake great but wanted something more aggressive initial bite(braking), then switch to Girodisc, Ferodo 3.12, Spielger brake lines and Castrol SRF for the next DE, WoW, much better braking power, shorter brake distance and no fadding. Btw braking is consistent during the DE. I had only participate in 3 DE with my GT3RS and there's plenty of brake pad for at least 4-5 more events.

Tire Wheel Cloud Car Sky
Tire Wheel Cloud Car Sky

·
Registered
27 Posts
btw, NO leaks on my Porsche with Castrol SRF, and many local Porsche owners do also use SRF w/o a problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
btw, NO leaks on my Porsche with Castrol SRF, and many local Porsche owners do also use SRF w/o a problem.
Thank you for your replies and input once again.

And what about handling and aceleration with the iron rotors. Did you notice the increase in rotational unsprung mass in terms of handling, acceleration, etc? Did that slow you down in the track?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you for your replies and input once again.

And what about handling and aceleration with the iron rotors. Did you notice the increase in rotational unsprung mass in terms of handling, acceleration, etc? Did that slow you down in the track?

really didn't notice loss of acceleration due to rotational unsprung mass. Same time when Girodiscs/Ferodo pads were installed, also Soul Competition exhaust was installed.
NO, haven't slow down at my local track, actually did improve 1.6 secs, mostly due to more track practice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts