Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well sort of. I know I told you all I was going to start building my daily somewhat and that I wanted an autocross car and was considering a 924 or a 944 Turbo for a starter car. However I looked into the cost vs accessories and parts.... too expensive for a first car for what I'm getting. I've been researching an awful lot lately and have been looking more towards the 3rd gen rx7. I actually talked to someone in california this morning who had a 1993 RX7 with a 13B REW in it and if all goes well I may be going to get it. I believe one of these would be an AWESOME weekend car and an autocross car. They are very high maintenance, which I have no problems with, but with a near 50/50 weight distribution, rearwheel drive and plenty of capability I'm looking forward to getting it if I can. What do you all think? For the price range for an FD I think it'll be a nice starter car for me and once I get done with it I can trade it in (well.... maybe) and get my feet wet on restoring a Jalpa!

My first experience having a fun driving experience was in a gigantic parking lot with my daily car. It was daylight outside and normally I'd go at night with my lights off (no one was there and no one could see me) in my other car... I had just gotten off work and had a great day so I headed there to go have some e-braking fun. First time I hit some ice, hit the wrong angle, got it straightened out but headed into the grass by accident. Second time I managed a 180, then stopped, went again, another 180 and kept going! Surprised myself so I did it again, flipped a 180 and did a reverse 180 after managing to get into reverse and flip back around..... and then they called security on me.... I found out that people actually were there..... I got off with them warning me, taking down my license plate (I guess they enjoyed the display on their security monitors?) and let me go. After I found out two weeks later I signed up for autocross and found that they did it at the same parking lot! And just for spite signed up and kept going ever since and am enjoying it a ton. Can't wait for next season...

Just to get everyone talking, for those of you who do racing, autocross and what not.... what did you have for your first autocross car? What did you do, how far did you go with it? Any stories?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not sure what "autocross" is but it sounds like "autotest" which here in the UK involves driving around an "assault course" of traffic cones and tyres arranged in slaloms, "garages" etc which you have to negotiate as quickly as possible.

I used to do that in a Dutton Melos, an open-top two seater kit car based on Ford mechanics with a tunes 1300cc crossflow with twin-choke webbers, based in a fiber glass body on a light ladder chassis on big fat 8-spoke chromw wheels shod with General Grabber 2000s :O) 'Twas much fun. The car wasn't good for much top speed (85 mph) but it was pretty quick at the traffic lights due to a good power/weight ratio (as long as you didn't just spin the wheels!)

Heh the good old days....

Incidentally for anyone who cares my Countach should arrive on Thursday 11th. :cool:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey, you live in Christchurch? That's really not very far from me. Maybe we should meet up once I have sussed the Countach out properly. Like the black Murc BTW. :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JRV said:
Dereck,

sounds like fun!! The Mazda is probably a good choice. You can have a good car cheap and plenty of spare parts to play & practice with!! :)
Thanks JRV! I'm really looking forward to it, I'm selling my mustang I was restoring to put it as a down for the car so I can afford the car and immediately afford working on it. I'm really looking forward to it.

James, glad to hear the weather is doing great over there, the season over here won't start till early spring so I get to tune the car and get it ready but I think it's going to start snowing over here :( But actually the weather lately has been great! I've been driving almost every night with my car and enjoying what I have left, great roads over here! But my throwout bearing is going out on me :( so I feel like I have no power to my wheels, doesn't stop me from cornering though!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Taoist said:
Incidentally for anyone who cares my Countach should arrive on Thursday 11th. :cool:
Very beautiful car, what is different on the mentioned Portman dash?
I was not able to recognize a difference from the posted picture in your garage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts