Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gasoline gauge needle is not working in the sense that it isn't showing when it's wasting gas or when I fill up.
The gas needle isn't moving up or down when driving. Just showing the amount of gas car has exact.

I fill up tank, disconnect cluster and reconnect cluster and needle is at FULL.

I drive around for an hour, I then again disconnect and reconnect cluster and gas gauge shows exact gas left. (about 1/2 way)

Needle is not moving down when it's wasting gas and needle is not moving up when I fill up. It will only show exact gas when I disconnect and connect cluster.

No, the needle is not touching the overlay.

Anyone know what seems to be wrong? Fuse? I have no idea.. Any help is appreciated. THANKS.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Are you sure it is showing the exact gas amount left? I suspect the sender in the tank or wire going to it is bad and it is just getting a random resistance when you plug it in. In any case those are about the only things it could be save for the electronics that run the gauge itself.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure it is showing the exact gas amount left? I suspect the sender in the tank or wire going to it is bad and it is just getting a random resistance when you plug it in. In any case those are about the only things it could be save for the electronics that run the gauge itself.
Yes it shows the exact gas I have but needle won't move when driving or filling up.

I have to disconnect cluster and reconnect it to then show what amount of gas I have left.

The needle moves to the amount of gas I have left and it shows the miles of gas left in middle screen.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Try contacting Tanin Auto Electronix, they are familiar with these clusters so they might know whats up...

you could try checking the gauge board connection plug, but Id say its possible the stepper motor might be damaged or faulty, Audi A4 stepper motors are the same if you need to replace it.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try contacting Tanin Auto Electronix, they are familiar with these clusters so they might know whats up...

you could try checking the gauge board connection plug, but Id say its possible the stepper motor might be damaged or faulty, Audi A4 stepper motors are the same if you need to replace it.
Contacted Tanin and they said they can't work on this cluster.

Any other company?

Also, changed the stepper motor to the audi A4 already and nothing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do you have a multimeter or oscolloscope? Hooking that up to the wires with the ignition on will let you know if the sending value is consistent or if it is not a strong signal. I'm actually more suspecting the gauge cluster now if really reads the right value but only once. But would be good to rule out the sender by checking it (note: I don't know if these cars use resistance based/analog senders or if it is a digital signal sent to them)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Any issues with any of the other gauges? Have you tried disconnecting the battery? Not sure if these clusters are married to the ECU in such a way that something got reset. I don’t recall but is there a gauge check done at initial key on where the needles do a sweep?

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any issues with any of the other gauges? Have you tried disconnecting the battery? Not sure if these clusters are married to the ECU in such a way that something got reset. I don’t recall but is there a gauge check done at initial key on where the needles do a sweep?

all gauges work.

yes battery disconnected and nothing.

yes when car is off only does the needle go down to 0.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts