Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Had an amazing weekend starting in Amsterdam via Nurburgring and back to the UK.

On the way to Germany, the car developed a knocking noise. Natuarlly, I dropped my load and thought the worst:eek:, I'm being punished for sins in Amsterdam. However, after a change of pants and chat with a man who knows what he's talking about, I realised the issue is likely a noisy lifter.
Bizarly, the noise went away after about 5 minutes.:D

So I thought s0d it and continued to the Nurburgring, where I rinsed my pride and joy for two awsome 14km laps with no issues (other than cooking the brake fluid).:p

30 mins later I started to drive the car and she developed the noise again. This time the noise would not go away, so I nursed the car back to the hotel by short shifting the gears.

After a good night sleep, I came to check on her and she was still knocking and the noise was defo coming from the topend. I had no time to call recovery as I had to be somewhere:whip:, so again thought b0ll0cks and jumped in and drove her to our next destination, about 1 hour into the drive, the noise just vanished and has not come back since (2 days approx 600km).

I will be passing her on to my Lambo mechanic but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

Thanks in advance.:)

Ps: She is a Gallardo Spyder, 2007, Manual

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The lifters are hydraulic and automatically adjust themselves. Sounds like some of yours might be a bit sticky and needing some time to adjust. Could be a tiny bit oil sludge causing it, maybe an oil change wouldn't hurt. Could be the cause and it's an easy fix. Maybe Josh here can comment but the lifters on these are Audi bits and pretty bullet proof.

Worst case they're easy enough to replace. Pull off cylinder heads, remove cams and they're right there.

What kind of brake fluid do you use? and hope you changed it!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum!

The lifters are hydraulic and automatically adjust themselves. Sounds like some of yours might be a bit sticky and needing some time to adjust. Could be a tiny bit oil sludge causing it, maybe an oil change wouldn't hurt. Could be the cause and it's an easy fix. Maybe Josh here can comment but the lifters on these are Audi bits and pretty bullet proof.

Worst case they're easy enough to replace. Pull off cylinder heads, remove cams and they're right there.

What kind of brake fluid do you use? and hope you changed it!
Major service was carried out 500mile ago, thats not to say there cannot be any oil sludge but kind of reluctant to go for an oil change (unless the Garage suggest otherwise, will certainly mention your comment).

The brake fluid hasn't been changed, got back last night and today is a public holiday, so that will be on my mechanics list to do.

Thanks for the comments, very helpful and really appreciated.:)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Agreed Greg, the lifters aren't typically an issue in these engines from my experience. I would be concerned about oil viscosity choice and how it's performing given the driving conditions.

This tends to be a great issue in the engines. Perhaps the oil in your car needed to eb a bit "tougher".

I would also recommend fluishing the system completely and replaced with Motul RBF600. Now that you've boiled the systemn there will definitely be some air that needs to be removed..and better fluid to avoid this trouble next round!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts