Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between the two, it's kind of tough to decide. Cost aside, the GT is incredible, but can be mistaken for any Porsche (from the front anyway) whereas the Gallardo is unique in almost every way.

·
Registered
959 Posts
If you want power go with the GT, if you want looks and the coolness factor go with the Gallardo. I would have a hard time picking too, infact I cant even decide right now :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Haha...the title of this thread made me laugh. I don't think you can really compare the Gallardo and the Carrera GT. Without a doubt though I would take the CGT over a Gallardo anyday. But it depends on what you plan on using it for. The CGT is bigger than the Gallardo and will attract wwwaaaayyyy more attention than the Gallardo. If you really wanted you could use the CGT as a daily driver, though if that's what you wanted it for I would say get the Gallardo instead. Just curious, are you asking this jsut out of curiousity or because you're actually looking at buying one?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm actually considering, but i don't agree with your assesment of which gets more attention. The GT to the untrained eye looks likes a fancy 911, the Gallardo looks like a spaceship.

with the 2 cars in the same parking lot (happened this morning at a car meet), the Gallardo gets more looks -- it's just more exotic -- hence the difficulty in deciding.

Granted the GT has more technology and fit and finish, it's 'fancy', but clearly more 'plain'.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'd take the Carrera GT, sell it, and buy the Gallaro Spyder, in addition to a Murcielago and maybe an A8 L.

·
Registered
48 Posts
In London at least the CGT would get more attention.

I've got a G and thats the one car I'm considering trading it for.

But I really like to use my cars daily, and thats whats keeping my sensible side winning the argument.

Problem with the CGT is:

1) LHD only
2) Its bigger proportions as previously stated
3) Its CF structure means even the slightest dent would give the insurance company a coronary.

Otherwise I would definately go for it. They are dropping below 250k (UK GBP) now, which is great "value" considering a murci roadster is 200k.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The CGT is vastly superior, but i agree, anyone can join the "club" (Porsche) for a fraction of the price of a CGT. This made it unappealing to me as a consumer.

do you want to drive it every day? do you want an exclusive automobile? also, if you can afford the CGT, why not murci roadster? sounds like you want a daily driver?

·
Registered
31 Posts
CGT, I don't think it looks like an ordinary porsche. From what I've heard when my father took delivery of our Cayenne in Leipzig, the CGT is appearantly one of the strongest performing cars nowadays. I love our Gallardo but if I had the spare change for a new CGT I would take it any day.

We saw the CGT in Carmel during the Run last year and I was mesmerized by its look.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
you can't mistake the GT for a normal porshe because it loocks very different, it sounds very different ( V10) , and it performs hugely different( it is 3 times faster than a boxter)

aniway i think lambos are much beautiful than it even if they are not as fast....why don't you wait for a new murcie 6.5 ? ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
You can't really compare the two, the Porsche is in an entirely different class. A gallardo can compare with a 911 turbo, but not a CGT. There is no way on earth you can mistake the CGT for any other porsche. My answer is, if you want a car you will drive on a daily basis, get the cheaper, smaller, much more managable gallardo. If you want a seriously off the hook supercar, get the much more expensive, much more of a handfull CGT.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know this is a Lambo site but I would take the CGT anytime. Now between a Murci...err I'll still take the CGT. Dont flame me now haha.

My fave Lambo is still the LP400S Countach :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am a diehard Lambo guy, but given your 2 choices in the thread, the CGT all day long. Looks nothing like an everyday P car, performs beyond the edge. A truly great piece of work.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the comments. I'm not trying to start any sort of flame thing, I LOVE my Gallardo, but that CGT is so interesting.

I'm going to Leipzig in July to ride in it with a pro driver as well as drive some of the other Porsche cars (GT2, GT3, etc.). I'll see how I feel after that.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Paul,

Sorry I'm a little late on this thread. My vote, let's just say, I would upgrade my Diablo to a CGT in a heart beat, but not for a Gallardo.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I've seen the CGT in person. It's nice, but not $450,000 nice. To me it looks like a modified Boxster.

I would not get either. I'd take a Murcielago over those two choices.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If it's at all helpful, there was a CGT at Foreign Cars Italia last time I was there. The owner had hit a cat with it. There was a small (~3") crack in the nose spoiler where he impacted the unfortunate feline.

The nose is a single large carbon fiber piece. Cost to repair the car: $14,000. US.

I'm sure the Gallardo nose isn't cheap, but if a stupid 10lb cat can do that kind of damage, think of what a deer or a pedestrian would do to that car. Those repair costs are out of my league.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As V-P of the local PCA region and owner of 8 Porsches currently, I have had my orange metallic (Arancio borealis) Gallardo down to the dealer on a few occasions and some comparisons were made. One was at a large PCA tech session and we started the two V10s up back to back- my Gallardo with Tubi rumore sounds better than the CGT. People paid more attention to the G than the CGT (once with two CGTs on hand- GT silver, and black).
The local dealer has ordered a CGT: paint to sample Arancio borealis, with wheels painted to match and orange stitching. It is available to purchase. They also usually have one to two in stock at any given time and will discount the price a little.

I'm sure the CGT is a better car overall than the G (it should be for the price), but if you want a car to really be noticed in a Lamborghini is the way to go. Part of that has to do with the fact that most Lambos are bright and most Porsches are silver or gray. People don't know the G from other Lambos and many people come up to my G and say things like "oh my god- a $300,000 car"- Most people have no idea a G is "inexpensive" or a CGT is $448,000- I've had people ask if my 993 turbo is a 944 or a boxster!

That said, why not buy both- I'm waiting until depreciation takes its toll, then I'll buy one, in the meantime my 997 GT3 is on order!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been asked if my G ride cost $500k, and when I had a 996 Turbo, I was asked if it was a Boxster. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts