Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my reconstruction of the front end of the G, I noticed how flimsy and poorly designed the piece of angle aluminum below the bumper is . Does anyone know of a better aftermarket one. If not, I am going to fabricate a much better solution. Anyone interested? That stock one is an accident waiting to happen. I am surprised it does not tear the back off every single bumper. Lee

·
Registered
467 Posts
This is a problem I think EVERY low car has..... I use perspex that has double sided tape to attach it. That way, most times when I "bottom" the perspex comes off and I put a new bit on. Not the best solution but I couldn't find anything better?? It's a 2004 Gallardo with lifter.

·
Vendor
2,621 Posts
I’m a dealer for Scrape armor and they make an incredible product. If this is something anyone is looking for, my price will be less and I will help you guys out. Just contact me.

I have for every model Lamborghini, etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Take a stop sign or similar sign (no parking, etc) and cut it into small strips. Epoxy those below to the underside of the bumper. The Scrape Armor quoted above is good stuff too but very expensive. You can buy a no parking sign online for under $30 and cover the same space with Aluminum.

·
Registered
420 Posts
mine had a lot of scrapes from the previous owner so I made my own with nylon sheet, cut out pieces that follow the shape of the front corners and attached with countersunk bolts and nyloc nuts. has been working well, and is not visible when the cars on the ground.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks great. I considered making it out of a solid piece of aluminum and sculpting to the body curves.What is the scrape armor made of? I also considered fabricating it out of fiberglass or carbon fiber. Use the bumper as a mold and have it slope up all the way to the edge of the aluminum strip. I have fabricated lots of parts so this would be easy. Use roving to make really strong.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My wife bought these for her 2009 LP560-4. Very good product and very simple to install, once you get the car up off the ground enough.

Lamborghini Gallardo LP550 LP560 Skid Plates

Screenshot_20210408-110239.png

Installation was really easy. It uses all the factory threaded holes underneath and you need to drill 4 small holes on each side of the front bumper vents. Some may hate having to drill into their car, but it's underneath, and it's riveted in, and you'll never see the holes you drill. Just BE CAREFUL once you go through the bottom of the bumper to not keep going though the top as it's the edge.

The plates are really large and cover the entire right and left side of the underside of the bumper. And they are barely a 1/4" thick but very durable material. Plus they include all new hardware, plus the drill bit needed and the rivets. Really adds piece of mind now. And the price was much cheaper than the Scrape Armor, which is a good product but rather pricey. And they have these for all Lamborghini models, including pre-LP Gallardos.

·
Vendor
2,621 Posts
What is the scrape armor made of?
The Scrape Armor is a custom polymer blend, essentially a very durable very slick plastic.

Automods plates are flat and ABS plastic. The Scrape Armor plates allow the car to glide on and off of surfaces with reduced surface friction, ABS used on Automods plates increases surface friction which causes them to grab and catch on curbs and other impact spots which can cause the bumper to pull and crack.

Aluminum in this case wouldn’t be the best choice as it also grabs like sandpaper and can crack. Mild steel would work better than aluminum.

Again, I’m here to help if anyone wants a Scrape Armor, I will try to work the best deal I can. It’s the nicest out of any plate sold today and used at many Ferrari/Lambo dealerships but at a much higher price.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do the mounting of any of these skid plates require drilling new holes into the bumper?

It kinda defeats the purpose to protect the bumper from paint scratch underneath by drilling holes through the bumper (and thus permanently damage it...) in a way......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts