Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please help:eek:, I broke down today in MY 2007 Gallardo Spyder (17k miles), promptly bringing my Europe long weekend trip to an abrupt halt. I've had a scary discussion with a Lambo service engineer who claimed that there is no way the belt should have suffered a catastrophic failure.

Recovery company tells me the Lambo will not be back for a couple of weeks, which means my rear end is going to be a bit twitchy for some time, as I will not be able to investigate the root cause. Obviously I'm not concerned about a belt change, its the big stuff I'm worried about.

Here's the circumstances to provide a bit of context.

A heavy night in Amsterdam
Next day started driving towards Nurburg
Pulled over at a service station with a big car park
My matey in his R8 decided to do some poorly attempted donuts
I swiftly disengaged my traction control and pulled off the perfect donut with Lambo finess:evil::kiss::whip::)

Got back onto the motorway and within 1 mile I heard a sound like the tread had left my tyres and the battery light came on.

Looked underneath and started pulling strands of the alternator belt out.

:confused:I don't personally believe the donut has anything to with the shreadded belt but would love to hear your opinion. Do I have something big to worry about or is this just a simple case of a failed piece of rubber (belt)?:confused:

Thanks in advance.
Ps: The donut video showdown of the R8 vs Lambo G will follow.:wave:

·
Registered
927 Posts
If you are at 17k miles then the belt would have been changed at the 15k service. I have a belt here in the states. I think I have a used and a new.

As far as the donut causing the belt to fall apart I don't think you hae anything to worring as long as nothing shifted during the donut.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Belt change is part of 15k service? I think it is inspection only.

At this point, you need to locate a belt. This should be 2-3 days. Not weeks. You can shop online or ask a different dealer to expedite this.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Do you service you G by your self or do you have it done by a certified Lamborghini mechanic or dealership? There is now way a Lamborghini mechanic or dealership let your G skip a 15k service unless if you requested it.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
> Belt change is part of 15k service? I think it is inspection only.

Yep, the schedule suggests inspection at 15/45/75/etc. and replacement at 30/60/etc.

Of course a good mechanic would take at least a brief look at every 7.5k service...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you service you G by your self or do you have it done by a certified Lamborghini mechanic or dealership? There is now way a Lamborghini mechanic or dealership let your G skip a 15k service unless if you requested it.
Just checked the last major service invoice and it says the following:

"New ribbed drive belt required, fractures found in 'V' grooves - replaced drive belt" @ 15k

I'm pretty sure there is only the one drive belt so its even more worrying that it shreadded. I'd be less concerned if it had not been replaced, at least that would had provided some rationale as to why it failed.

So the question remains, how and why. I have my own theory....

I jacked the car up to see if there was anything obvious which could have caused the belt to shread. Its easy to get to the belt from underneath. Anyway, there was nothing obvious, just the shreadded remenants of a belt.

Now for my theory....:confused: whilst doing a donut, the rear wheels are dragging in a sideways motion (not forward), any debris on the inside of the rear wheel would have been thrown up every where under the car belly. The drive belt has no floor panel protection, its possible debris may have been thrown up and caught the inside the belt causing a fracture. Drive the car 1 mile the road, the belt completely fails.

I know this is wishfull thinking and pigs might fly but it my 2 pence worth (or 2 cents), depending where you're from!:eek:

Ps: I should have explained, I was only in Europe for a long weekend starting Thursday. I was due back Sunday night. I could have replaced the belt within minutes myself, amongst all the cars travelling we had the tools. problem was the £20 belt. Lamborghini dealers (parts department) all closed on Saturday and hence why I flew back home (UK) and let the recovery company bring my lambo back to the UK on a trailer.

·
Registered
544 Posts
A 2007 car should have had its Alternator Belt changed as a matter of course at the annual service.

My 2007 car has 7,000 miles and it has just had its major service, including the Alternator Belt

2008 - Minor - Fluid Service
2009 - Major A
2010 - Minor - Fluid Service
2011 - Major B

Major B Service is - Fluid Service including Differentials, spark plugs, Alternator Belt, etc.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
i don't think debris would be the culprit. instead, i think something is causing the chaffing of the belt. sounds like the real cause wasn't addressed and that's why the belt broke in such a short amount of time.

i would have the belt replaced by who ever did it last time. service and parts should have a warranty of 1-2 years. they should fix it and look into if any pulley or chaffing is causing the belt to rip.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Just checked the last major service invoice and it says the following:

"New ribbed drive belt required, fractures found in 'V' grooves - replaced drive belt" @ 15k

I'm pretty sure there is only the one drive belt so its even more worrying that it shreadded. I'd be less concerned if it had not been replaced, at least that would had provided some rationale as to why it failed.

So the question remains, how and why. I have my own theory....

I jacked the car up to see if there was anything obvious which could have caused the belt to shread. Its easy to get to the belt from underneath. Anyway, there was nothing obvious, just the shreadded remenants of a belt.

Now for my theory....:confused: whilst doing a donut, the rear wheels are dragging in a sideways motion (not forward), any debris on the inside of the rear wheel would have been thrown up every where under the car belly. The drive belt has no floor panel protection, its possible debris may have been thrown up and caught the inside the belt causing a fracture. Drive the car 1 mile the road, the belt completely fails.

I know this is wishfull thinking and pigs might fly but it my 2 pence worth (or 2 cents), depending where you're from!:eek:

Ps: I should have explained, I was only in Europe for a long weekend starting Thursday. I was due back Sunday night. I could have replaced the belt within minutes myself, amongst all the cars travelling we had the tools. problem was the £20 belt. Lamborghini dealers (parts department) all closed on Saturday and hence why I flew back home (UK) and let the recovery company bring my lambo back to the UK on a trailer.
Possible the belt was not aligned correctly.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I agree...I've seen a few Gallardo belts 'damaged' due to picking up some road debris that were kicked up.

If I am not mistaken, the belt just drives the alternator, correct?

If so... you can charge the battery overnight, you could probably go a good 100 or so miles before having to recharge (but don't crank the tunes or run A/C, etc).

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
car will not run without the serpentine belt. that belt drives things like power steering, water pump, alternator.
I don't believe so....IIRC - Oil pump is gear driven. PS pump and water pump are shaft driven. Even the AC is either shaft or gear drive.

I'm pretty sure the belt is only for the alternator on the 5.0 Gallardos...
I will check on it...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
> Oil pump is gear driven. PS pump and water pump are shaft driven.
> Even the AC is either shaft or gear drive.

crankshaft -> chain (6) -> set of gears (18)
2008 Lamborghini GALLARDO SUPERLEGGERA HEAD TIMING SYSTEM TAV: 109.03.00

shaft -> oil pump
2008 Lamborghini GALLARDO SUPERLEGGERA OIL PUMP TAV: 115.02.00

shaft -> water pump
2008 Lamborghini GALLARDO SUPERLEGGERA WATER COOLING SYSTEM TAV: 121.01.00

shaft -> A/C compressor
2008 Lamborghini GALLARDO SUPERLEGGERA AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM TAV: 260.01.00

Makes me wonder why the alternator is using a belt instead of a chain... :)

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
car will not run without the serpentine belt. that belt drives things like power steering, water pump, alternator.
The belt only drives the alternator. And A/C doesn't use the battery Mike :)

I would check the pulley to make sure it doesn't have any chips or sharp edges, but other than that it could be totally random. Bad belt, bad tension, misalignment, etc. It happened very soon after replacing the belt so they might have goofed something up.

$30 part, 30 minute job.

Sorry that your EU trip got killed over it :(

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

:(
Oh, really...I wonder how they get the fan on the right hand side to spin...And that fan that is under the dashboard...Plus the clutch that activates the AC is engaged by what?

My point was that all of that stuff takes alot of juice. If you are trying to get as far as you can on a charge, turn climate control system off, radio off, headlights off (if during the day), etc, etc..You can get pretty far if you are just using the ignition system.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Oh, really...I wonder how they get the fan on the right hand side to spin...And that fan that is under the dashboard...Plus the clutch that activates the AC is engaged by what?

My point was that all of that stuff takes alot of juice. If you are trying to get as far as you can on a charge, turn climate control system off, radio off, headlights off (if during the day), etc, etc..You can get pretty far if you are just using the ignition system.
I saw that you replied, and I KNEW you were going to say that :)

I meant the compressor, which is by far the biggest juice sucker, which is why they feed it from the engine directly... You win ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I would check the pulley to make sure it doesn't have any chips or sharp edges, but other than that it could be totally random. Bad belt, bad tension, misalignment, etc. It happened very soon after replacing the belt so they might have goofed something up.

$30 part, 30 minute job.

Sorry that your EU trip got killed over it :(
:D Thanks for all the comments. Just as an update, the belt failed after 2k miles. I've checked the pulleys, I can't see anything wrong so I've concluded it was simply an act of God (payment for all my deeds in Amsterdam ;)).

Anyway, I'm over it, my Lambo should be shipped back to my door, replacement part ordered, and yes it only takes 30 mins to replace.

I've attached a video link of my high moment just before the incident and the low, just after!!!

Excuse the Boyish behaviour, it was a lads trip to Amsterdam.

Before the incident:

After the incident:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts